Lasertower OOS combat

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

jamafish

Lasertower OOS combat

Post by jamafish » Fri, 28. Oct 11, 03:19

I'm thinking about using lasertowers to block in xenon and keep them in their sectors. How may LT's would it take, lined up around a gate (using ring of fire script), to completely wipe out say, a Q, OOS as soon as it pops its ugly face out of the gate?

YellowSnow
x3

Post by YellowSnow » Fri, 28. Oct 11, 06:42

Last I checked it took 100 or so LT to properly cover a gate but I haven't heard for a while.

You could do that OR just station one Boreas at the gate and you will have a sturdy defensible platform. The laser tower thing is a frame rate hog and doesn't always kill whats coming through the gate. The M2 does.

Currently I have one Boreas stationed at every Z gate and I haven't lost a ship yet. If one get in to trouble he'll jump out and I'll hunt the escapees down in my springblossom.

David Howland
x3tc

Big Project!

Post by David Howland » Fri, 28. Oct 11, 10:57

This is not something to be entered into lightly jamafish!
I must say from the start I operate vanilla but DecaDeath and I probably run the most extensive LT cloud operations at the present time.
LT clouds have to be massive to work even then they are only back-up to defence patrols and are not !00% effective.
It is preferable to have LTs both sides of a gate and the easiest to place is the cloud at the Xenon side because you just put them up against the gate. On the other side you have to find the exact spot the Xen. Cap.s are jumping out at and surround that spot.
You cannot dump and leave because the most effective Lt.s will get destroyed and the less effective will spread out with time and become useless. I have six complexes producing replacement LTs and adv. sat.s for my LT. clouds. My standard dump is 100 Lt.s and 2 adv. sat.s.
This is just a taster, I recommend you read much more on the subject before committing yourself and work on one gate at a time!
The BANISHED RETURNS.
HEALTH WARNING! Steam Damages Freedom Of Speech!
Congratulations Egosoft on increasing memory usage from 2 to 3 Gb.
Bin playing X too long when Egosoft refuses to sell you their latest game?
The only steam I want is in my kettle! STEAM=GAME OVER.

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Fri, 28. Oct 11, 11:04

The ring of fire script turns laser towers into a completely different beasty. I think laser towers are pretty rubbish without this script tbh.
When I had that script I was putting down around 60 towers. Much more and it was hard to fit them all in nicely.
60 towers shredded most things, tho it's usually best to have an M2 there as well to deliver a knockout blow to anything that survives.
I strongly disagree with just using one M2 on its own. Either you lose 100s of millions of M2, or they have to jump away, which imo is not a blockade.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”