They really dropped the ball with Earth

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Boringnick
x3tc

They really dropped the ball with Earth

Post by Boringnick » Sat, 29. Oct 11, 15:05

Given that the entire X series so far was about finding Earth, it looks in TC just a bit too shaby.

Seriously, it's one of the worst planet sprites in the whole game! It doesn't rotate, it looks somewhat low-res and and poor.

The Teladi, Split, Boron, Argon homeworlds look far better.

A shame, really, especially given the fact that the rest of the Sol system looks beautiful.

NUKLEAR-SLUG
x3tc

Post by NUKLEAR-SLUG » Sat, 29. Oct 11, 15:33

Thing is tho, with the other planets they could use procedurals and noone would be any the wiser. We all know what Earth looks like so if it didn't look right it'd be glaringly obvious.

Boringnick
x3tc

Post by Boringnick » Sat, 29. Oct 11, 15:47

NUKLEAR-SLUG wrote:Thing is tho, with the other planets they could use procedurals and noone would be any the wiser.
Don't think so that all planets were made that way.

Look closely at the landmass of the Argon homeplanet, it's pretty obvious that it's just a modified Earth.

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Sat, 29. Oct 11, 16:56

Not to mention the fact that there's absolutely nothing to do there. You've got the Torus, and ... you've got the Torus.

Only reason I go to Earth is if I need to fit a ship I bought at Luna with a jumpdrive, or if a plot requires it. Which is kinda stupid for roleplay reasons: my pilot is from Chicago.
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

Boringnick
x3tc

Post by Boringnick » Sat, 29. Oct 11, 17:03

StarSword wrote:Not to mention the fact that there's absolutely nothing to do there. You've got the Torus, and ... you've got the Torus.

Only reason I go to Earth is if I need to fit a ship I bought at Luna with a jumpdrive
To be fair, the Torus is the best place to park your ships in my opinion.

It's far away from Pirates, Xenon and Kha'ak, has unlimeted space for ships, enormous defenses around it and is basically undestroyable.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 29. Oct 11, 22:08

I suspect it's because of the Torus that you're seeing this. The Torus is linked to the planet below via space elevators, so it's pretty obvious that it must be stationary with respect to the surface--and since all your manoeuvring while in Earth sector is done relative to a fixed point on the Torus, the planet's surface can't move from your viewpoint either!

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Sat, 29. Oct 11, 22:18

It's a decent in-universe explanation for Earth not rotating relative to the Torus, but there's a couple problems with it:
  • The TOA launches ships to the one in lunar orbit 24/7, which it can't do when the Torus moves to the opposite side of the planet.
  • The Torus never moves to the night side of Earth.
Maybe there are multiple Tori.
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

eldyranx3
xr

Post by eldyranx3 » Sun, 30. Oct 11, 02:24

StarSword wrote:Maybe there are multiple Tori.
Also, during the time of X3TC, the Torus was unfinished.

rujikin
x3tc

Post by rujikin » Sun, 30. Oct 11, 08:30

Well it is Earth. We have real pictures of it and you cannot shine it up much without changing it.

When I entered the Earth sector I wasn't caring about the planet. I was more concerned about all of the giant guns pointing their barrels at my ship o_o. I actually flew slowly so they didn't fire at my M3.
Using X3 AP + All TC plots enabled

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Tue, 1. Nov 11, 02:54

I think the point of the Torus is that once complete it will encircle the entire planet. As for dropping the ball, consider this: if you look at the sector decription, you'll notice that it says there are 2 planets there, like it does with the moon! :lol:

IcarusII
x3tc

Post by IcarusII » Tue, 1. Nov 11, 22:25

IcarusII wrote:I jumped straight out of aldrin once the cpu ship was boarded to excitedly explore earth torus only to be repeatedly be told off by the terrans and treated like a child...Its so familiar....
- Fasten your seatbelt
- Dont drive here
- Stay at 70mph
- No undertaking
- Dont drive there or you will be shot
- No parking without a permit which you cannot get legally
- Housing only available for people who deliberately have children but mysteriously have no job or marketable skills in order to ensure the state houses them for free and pays for everything at the taxpayers expense

That kind of thing. Oh hang on - earth torus is a bit like Britain.

Whilst it was pretty and all, I jumped back to Argon Prime and literally breathed a sigh of relief. Capitalism, guns, military, flag waving and a texan drawl. Yay. Oh the political commentary that is X3TC.
See above for my own thoughts on 'earth torus' in a thread from yesterday. I felt more people needed to see my uncontrolable rage when Im told where i can fly in a SANDBOX universe.

Earth Torus - great idea. shame about the execution.

...Now if they had 3 earth tori all contra rotating like the transporter from the film 'Contact' I would put up with being told off which square in can fly within just for the damn view!

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Tue, 1. Nov 11, 23:54

IcarusII wrote:I felt more people needed to see my uncontrolable rage when Im told where i can fly in a SANDBOX universe.
You should check out some playgrounds.
Most sandboxes actually have a border.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

CuriosityKillsTheMADCat
x4

Post by CuriosityKillsTheMADCat » Wed, 2. Nov 11, 12:00

"You should check out some playgrounds.
Most sandboxes actually have a border."

And that is a good thing, as the mongrels will never get over THIS wall :D .

MFG

CKTMC
Fähiger Pilot wie DU sein...
"When ships to sail the void between the stars have been invented, there will also be men who come forward to sail those ships."
Johannes Kepler, Somnium, 1634 A.D.

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Thu, 3. Nov 11, 23:57

Sovereign01 wrote:I think the point of the Torus is that once complete it will encircle the entire planet. As for dropping the ball, consider this: if you look at the sector decription, you'll notice that it says there are 2 planets there, like it does with the moon! :lol:
I believe they just count how many planets are visible in the sector. You can see Earth from Luna and vice versa.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”