Boarding with an M7M

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

rujikin
x3tc

Boarding with an M7M

Post by rujikin » Wed, 2. Nov 11, 21:22

What is the best M7M for boarding minus the special OTAS one (long way away from it). Firepower is of no concern since I have a squadron following me around all the time and they decimate everything.

Also it cannot be terran as I don't have any factories making terran missiles.

Thanks
Using X3 AP + All TC plots enabled

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Wed, 2. Nov 11, 21:25

The Terran M7M can't launch boarding pods anyway, so no losses there :)

As for which is best...it's a matter of personal preference really. A lot of people like the Cobra because of it's speed, personally I prefer the Ares (it looks the nuts and it's got high shields/big ish cargo bay).

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Wed, 2. Nov 11, 21:37

Just go with the one you like the most as they pretty much do the same job.

rujikin
x3tc

Post by rujikin » Wed, 2. Nov 11, 21:40

SIMON POPPLEWELL wrote:Just go with the one you like the most as they pretty much do the same job.
The website I use to find ship stats doesn't list m7m's. So I don't know the differences between them. I want a lot of marines though.

Rive
x3tc

Post by Rive » Wed, 2. Nov 11, 21:44

X3TC.ru lists all ships able to mount boarding pods or flails. Those will be the M7Ms :wink:

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Wed, 2. Nov 11, 21:52

M7Ms capable of boarding (with the exception of the one you've already ruled out) all carry the same number of marines. If you are using a squadron for firepower, all your M7M is doing is lugging marines and throwing them out in boarding pods? Very little difference. Cobra is the fastest - shouldn't matter too much as your M7M shouldn't be up close & personal (unless you specifically want to do it that way - some people do).

Again, if all you're doing is firing boarding pods, cargo space doesn't really matter either. If you are going to keep your M7M away from the fight (as IMO you should) shielding doesn't really matter either.

Most important thing, really - looks! Even speed doesn't matter too much since you can always slap a turbo on board :)

Tim
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 2. Nov 11, 21:53

Get the first M7M you get the chance to board from M6/TP. Then use that for boarding ops and missions to get marine training, make cash for further expansion and learn the effects and effectiveness of missiles and missile tactics. Then by the time you have decided what M7M you would really like to own, you will be in a position to either board or buy it outright.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

rujikin
x3tc

Post by rujikin » Wed, 2. Nov 11, 22:03

Thanks got a Cobra :twisted: Now time to start boarding.

Edit: Oh yeah BTW. Can the AI handle Piracy with an M7M equipped with boarding pods?

quoick
x3tc

Post by quoick » Wed, 2. Nov 11, 22:10

Although it would have to be the worst looking ship in the game, I would have to say the Cobra is the most versatile. It is the fastest (although at 97m/s it is never going to be classed as fast) and it is one of the few M7Ms that can mount lasers for missile defence. I have found this to be invaluable in some of the Corp missions.

rujikin
x3tc

Post by rujikin » Wed, 2. Nov 11, 22:14

quoick wrote:Although it would have to be the worst looking ship in the game, I would have to say the Cobra is the most versatile. It is the fastest (although at 97m/s it is never going to be classed as fast) and it is one of the few M7Ms that can mount lasers for missile defence. I have found this to be invaluable in some of the Corp missions.
The only ship designs I hate are the Boron ship designs. I actually like the Split designs.

cmdnenad
x3tc

Post by cmdnenad » Wed, 2. Nov 11, 22:26

rujikin wrote: Edit: Oh yeah BTW. Can the AI handle Piracy with an M7M equipped with boarding pods?
Yes. Keep it at some distance while you lower the shields, and it will do just fine. As soon as the shields are down, it will launch the pods.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Thu, 3. Nov 11, 00:08

It's worth noting that the AI never puts the full 5 marines into a pod, so make sure you have plenty of pods onboard your Cobra. Happy hunting. :twisted:

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Thu, 3. Nov 11, 04:34

Is that an issue with the Cobra? I don't have that problem but I never use a cobra.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Thu, 3. Nov 11, 11:00

Mightysword wrote:Is that an issue with the Cobra? I don't have that problem but I never use a cobra.
No, it's the same with all M7Ms, there's a chance they won't put all the marines in a pod.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 3. Nov 11, 11:46

Typically the AI puts 4 men to a pod. You need at least 5 pods for a remote 20 marine mission. Or as Nuklear-Slug would say, fire a remote barrage of 8 pods and the unmanned ones act as decoys as well.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Thu, 3. Nov 11, 16:12

That's weird ... I have been playing for years I and have never seen the 4-marine pod, this includes many period that I'm going a on spree.

Most of the time I use the Minotaur.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 3. Nov 11, 16:42

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Thu, 3. Nov 11, 16:56

Mightysword wrote:That's weird ... I have been playing for years I and have never seen the 4-marine pod, this includes many period that I'm going a on spree.

Most of the time I use the Minotaur.
If you have a large number of pods onboard you may not have noticed.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 4. Nov 11, 02:12

I never do though. Even if I am, I always count the pods when they launch. I always fly my ship, is this just something happen if it's the AI flying it?

The X-Plorer

Post by The X-Plorer » Fri, 4. Nov 11, 02:39

The first time i tried to board a ship was a xenon Q in black hole sun, i had a boarding pod and pretty hard trained marines on it, i fired it and unfortunately the Q managed to shoot it down, a marine managed to reach the Q, and i pounded at the things shields, unfortunately he failed to get in and i had to round up all my marines..... i havent tried it since.
Happy accidents are just another form of discovery, except they are way more fun.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”