so...about shadows missiles

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

jamafish

so...about shadows missiles

Post by jamafish » Mon, 14. Nov 11, 16:05

was that 755,000 damage per missile a typo? What's egosoft's reasoning behind making a ship that can effectively obliterate anything in the game with a single volley?

Choublanc
x3tc

Post by Choublanc » Mon, 14. Nov 11, 16:26

755000 per HEAD, so actually 6 millions damage per missile.

Yes, imho first it was a typo (755k instead of 75k), but then they decided not to fix it, cause it’s very fun :skull:
Steam = Game over
NO PASARAN!

Lelouch
x3tc

Re: so...about shadows missiles

Post by Lelouch » Mon, 14. Nov 11, 19:43

jamafish wrote:What's egosoft's reasoning behind making a ship that can effectively obliterate anything in the game with a single volley?
What's the rationale in making Phantom half the cargo size compared to Tomahawk, thereby effectively doubling the capability of a Terran M8 compared to a Commonwealth one? Why do the Borons have to makeshift with an (almost) unacquireable crippled Argon Gladiator as their M8?

Don't think to much about it. Maybe it was on purpose, maybe someone made a copypaste error and did not remove the swarm capability.

The relationship between the ATF and their M7M is somewhat strange anyhow. At first the Skirnir had two forward facing MAML-capable turrets with 8 slots each (hurray), but the ghoul had a max speed of 45m/s (oops) and now it has 4 slots of cap-ship grade fighter defense in the rear (wheee).

Don't worry be happy. =)

Bill Huntington
x3tc

shadows

Post by Bill Huntington » Mon, 14. Nov 11, 21:14

If you want to see a TC sight, launch a barrage of Shadows at the target. Have the target up in one of your monitors so you can see it up close. Then watch as the Shadows come in ... !!! Bam, Wham, OOOhh, Wham, .... !!

Sometimes the Shadow group changes direction or finds a new target. That is interesting to watch too.
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

Paladin-Solo

Post by Paladin-Solo » Mon, 14. Nov 11, 21:59

Well, considering by the time you get a skirnir the missile fabs will have disappeared and you're forced to build your own, they better be pretty damn good. Not to mention ghouls will probably be gone for good, unless of course you start feeding and buying from the fabs ASAP.

Rhox
x4

Post by Rhox » Mon, 14. Nov 11, 22:31

Ghouls are indeed a problem as there is no factory included in the Aldrin expansion. I got mine by boarding further Skirnirs at first, then changed to kurush's cloning trick (I don't do it much, but I regard it as fair when it comes to getting more of rare weapons whose factories are gone)...
What's good is that the Skirnir rarely needs them for CQC against fighters as the SSCs in the back will take care of those...

best regards,
Rhox
"Warnung: Frachtraum ist.....Frachtraum enthält nun: Khaak Zerstörer" -"Cool!"

http://www.seizewell.de - die ultimative deutsche Ressource zur X-Reihe
http://www.x-lexikon.xibo.at -ein deutsches Wiki zur X-Reihe

Choublanc
x3tc

Post by Choublanc » Tue, 15. Nov 11, 00:14

Rhox wrote:Ghouls are indeed a problem as there is no factory included in the Aldrin expansion. I got mine by boarding further Skirnirs at first, then changed to kurush's cloning trick...
Wait! there is a way to clone the Ghoul :?
Could you describe it?
Thx so much in advance :)
Steam = Game over
NO PASARAN!

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Tue, 15. Nov 11, 01:33

Choublanc wrote: Wait! there is a way to clone the Ghoul :?
Could you describe it?
Thx so much in advance :)
You can find references to it in the link from my signature. As far as I know, one ghoul fab always exists somewhere in the Terran space though. It might be more fun to set up a feeding loop for it and just purchase those missiles. Considering that shadow missiles are OK against M3 and even some M4, you won't really need more than one factory can produce. I also think you can clone then in the non-exploit fashion by selling a couple to one of the terran docks and then buying multiple baldrics in the same sector...

Choublanc
x3tc

Post by Choublanc » Tue, 15. Nov 11, 03:06

Thx! That's a great trick! The Ghoul was the sole ware really missing in my current game. No need anymore of an support Aquilo full of Flail to finish the job.
kurush wrote:As far as I know, one ghoul fab always exists somewhere in the Terran space though. It might be more fun to set up a feeding loop for it and just purchase those missiles.

Alas! Not always. The fab is gone for me.

kurush wrote:I also think you can clone then in the non-exploit fashion by selling a couple to one of the terran docks and then buying multiple baldrics in the same sector...
No, the Ghoul can't be cloned in the "normal" way.
Steam = Game over
NO PASARAN!

deca.death
x3tc

Re: shadows

Post by deca.death » Tue, 15. Nov 11, 13:48

Bill Huntington wrote:If you want to see a TC sight, launch a barrage of Shadows at the target. Have the target up in one of your monitors so you can see it up close. Then watch as the Shadows come in ... !!! Bam, Wham, OOOhh, Wham, .... !!

Sometimes the Shadow group changes direction or finds a new target. That is interesting to watch too.
They always retarget, after original target is destroyed. They hunt down every ship in their (great) range, even on seta. One missile kills Q, three heads move further /5 explode. 2 missiles kill every ship except Terran M2. I did some pretty good carnages with that thing, when I wanted to get things done quickly.

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Tue, 15. Nov 11, 14:17

At first I thought I'd missed out on Ghoul missiles when I couldn't find any fabs, then I eventually found one in the farthest unknown sector beyond Oort Cloud. Beware though, most of the fabs you need to make the wares it needs you cannot buy, I ended up setting up a trading dock in that sector and set CAGs to buy up all the wares.

Only thing is, I can't get them to then supply the goods to the factory itself so I have to keep sending my freighters there manually, and because the trading dock can only hold a few missles I'm having to stick them all in one of my TSs. Though it's a real pain I have managed to get a couple hundred missiles so far, though I get far more out of boarding/blowing up Skirnirs.

And hell yes, Shadows make Hammers look like peashooters- even if the warheads were only 75k, they'd still be worth twice as much damage, right now each one is worth 20 :lol: And not to mention that while any other M7M will need to reload after clearing a sector or two, the Skirnir most certainly wont :lol:

deca.death
x3tc

Post by deca.death » Tue, 15. Nov 11, 14:48

Sovereign01 wrote: Only thing is, I can't get them to then supply the goods to the factory itself so I have to keep sending my freighters there manually, and because the trading dock can only hold a few missles I'm having to stick them all in one of my TSs. Though it's a real pain I have managed to get a couple hundred missiles so far, though I get far more out of boarding/blowing up Skirnirs.
Or set up cls to deal with that or just clone damn things. You still pay for them, it's not your fault economy is screwed up. How then can sell you a ship and then say, "sorry we don't produce weapons for it any more".

Choublanc
x3tc

Post by Choublanc » Tue, 15. Nov 11, 17:41

deca.death wrote:Or set up cls to deal with that or just clone damn things. You still pay for them, it's not your fault economy is screwed up. How then can sell you a ship and then say, "sorry we don't produce weapons for it any more".
Well, they don't sell it :lol:

And no, unfortunately you can't clone it (no ED listing the Ghoul linked to a Shipyard).
Steam = Game over
NO PASARAN!

Rhox
x4

Post by Rhox » Tue, 15. Nov 11, 18:09

Choublanc wrote:
kurush wrote:As far as I know, one ghoul fab always exists somewhere in the Terran space though. It might be more fun to set up a feeding loop for it and just purchase those missiles.

Alas! Not always. The fab is gone for me.
Same here, I was able to purchase about 40 from the Docks, but the factory was never even there for me. ATM I have conducted my second remote mapping of the Solar system and there is no Ghoul fab within a 200 km radius of any sector center.
kurush wrote:I also think you can clone then in the non-exploit fashion by selling a couple to one of the terran docks and then buying multiple baldrics in the same sector...
No, the Ghoul can't be cloned in the "normal" way.
Tried that before, but the docks that can stock ghouls are not associated with the shipyards when it comes to equipping ships.

best regards,
Rhox

EDIT: 2nd quote fixed

deca.death
x3tc

Post by deca.death » Tue, 15. Nov 11, 18:36

Choublanc wrote: And no, unfortunately you can't clone it (no ED listing the Ghoul linked to a Shipyard).
Ad them to Hub and vanilla safe exploit them to hell and back :twisted:

Yeah I know, too close to cheating.

Rhox
x4

Post by Rhox » Tue, 15. Nov 11, 18:49

I think he used that trick, it's just that kurush remarked that it should be possible the "normal" cloning way...

best regards,
Rhox

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Wed, 16. Nov 11, 00:24

Choublanc wrote:
deca.death wrote:Or set up cls to deal with that or just clone damn things. You still pay for them, it's not your fault economy is screwed up. How then can sell you a ship and then say, "sorry we don't produce weapons for it any more".
Well, they don't sell it :lol:

And no, unfortunately you can't clone it (no ED listing the Ghoul linked to a Shipyard).
I had a functional CLS feed for that factory set up from the HUB itself. A CAG trader buying the resources you can't produce and a CLS trader selling those resources to the ghoul factory. It works just fine... Also, this factory even if it is destroyed by GOD, will get eventually respawned. I had it jumping from sector to sector until I learned about the trick of docking a ship on it to prevent this.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”