Disable mouse acceleration/smoothing?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

hdgyhrd

Disable mouse acceleration/smoothing?

Post by hdgyhrd » Thu, 24. Nov 11, 00:39

I just tried X3 for the first time and while the game itself seems good there's definitely some mouse acceleration/smoothing going on. Ever since I found out how bad it is for your precision in first-person shooters 5 years ago I always make sure it isn't active in any game that I play since I really can't stand it. I couldn't find a way to turn it off in the options, so does anyone know how to disable it?

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Thu, 24. Nov 11, 00:55

Which X?
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

hdgyhrd

Post by hdgyhrd » Thu, 24. Nov 11, 00:58

X3 TC?

BDK
x3ap

Post by BDK » Thu, 24. Nov 11, 02:51

I don't believe there's mouse smoothing, I believe it's tied to how well your rig handles the game. My single core could barely handle it and it lagged directly into the cursor and mouse movement. That's just one of the downsides by not having hardware mouse (a.k.a. GPU accelerated mouse cursor) in a game.

Oh and make sure you've turned off Windows mouse acceleration as well, that will mess up your aim more than you know.

hdgyhrd

Post by hdgyhrd » Thu, 24. Nov 11, 11:18

I tested it this morning to make sure by putting a ruler next to my mouse and then watching the cursor on the main menu where I have about 200fps. If I move the mouse slowly (about 1mm/s) over a distance of 5mm the cursor will just travel half across the screen starting from the top, but if I then move the mouse the same distance at a much faster rate, the cursor will have moved almost twice as long, nearly touching the button of the screen.

The cursor feels just as weird in-game where I get about 100fps.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 24. Nov 11, 13:21

You'd probably have to turn off mouse cursor acceleration in Windows to do this.

hdgyhrd

Post by hdgyhrd » Thu, 24. Nov 11, 15:44

"Enhance pointer precision" in my Win7 mouse settings is disabled and I'm quite certain that I have no mouse acceleration on desktop.

Unless maybe X3TC turns the windows-acceleration back on for itself somehow? Don't know if that is possible.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”