[TC] Mineral Scanner

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Santyx

[TC] Mineral Scanner

Post by Santyx » Wed, 30. Nov 11, 15:27

I'm not sure if I ran into a bug or a gameplay thing that I'm unaware of. I installed mineral scanners on smaller ships so far, together with a bunch of other software, to do short missions.

I installed one on an Argon TS.. it doesn't work at all. I click on an asteroid, but never get that option to scan it. What am I missing? Ship limitation? Do I need to have something else installed?

Kapakio
x4

Re: [TC] Mineral Scanner

Post by Kapakio » Wed, 30. Nov 11, 16:01

Santyx wrote:I'm not sure if I ran into a bug or a gameplay thing that I'm unaware of. I installed mineral scanners on smaller ships so far, together with a bunch of other software, to do short missions.

I installed one on an Argon TS.. it doesn't work at all. I click on an asteroid, but never get that option to scan it. What am I missing? Ship limitation? Do I need to have something else installed?
You don't have a specific option to scan. Just open the information screen (think is I) when you are under 10Km of the asteroid and you will see the content.

cmdnenad
x3tc

Post by cmdnenad » Wed, 30. Nov 11, 16:03

You can only scan large asteroids, i.e. ones that are shown on the map. The one that were trying to scan was probably a smaller rock.

Rhox
x4

Post by Rhox » Wed, 30. Nov 11, 16:06

You have a specific option to scan, but you have to be in 10 km range of the asteroid. Then you must target the asteroid and can choose the option "scan" in the targeting menu...

best regards,
Rhox
"Warnung: Frachtraum ist.....Frachtraum enthält nun: Khaak Zerstörer" -"Cool!"

http://www.seizewell.de - die ultimative deutsche Ressource zur X-Reihe
http://www.x-lexikon.xibo.at -ein deutsches Wiki zur X-Reihe

Threesixtyci
x4

Post by Threesixtyci » Wed, 30. Nov 11, 16:27

It kinda works on smaller asteroids too. When you press I, it'll tell you if the rock is silicon, ore, or whatever; but you have to be real close to them before they are targetable. Reunion would tell you how much yield is in them, but I don't think TC does that.

But as far as missions, as soon as you get 10km to them the Scan button becomes selectable (on the right click pop up menu after you have one targeted). And you just click on the word, "Scan".

Freight scanner works the same way, except you have to be 4KM from the ship you want to scan.

Plot bases missions you don't need either to scan. You just need to park your ship real close to the objective.... and it scans automatically.

Santyx

Post by Santyx » Wed, 30. Nov 11, 16:52

I know about the 10 km maximum from the scanning missions I did in my M5. As for it being 4.. in my frustration I moved pretty much flat on top of it, several times. Like a few hundred meters close.

I also tried scanning from the Argon's rear turret view. Made no difference. Just to mix it up, I dropped the scanner in space and picked it up again.

I should point out again that it did work before, on an M5.

Santyx

Post by Santyx » Wed, 30. Nov 11, 17:18

cmdnenad wrote:You can only scan large asteroids, i.e. ones that are shown on the map. The one that were trying to scan was probably a smaller rock.
Ok taking this reply here seriously could have saved me some time. I'm sorry, cmdnenad. :)

Yeah. So I had bought and tested this scanner in Home of Light. There's lots of asteroids there, but none of them actually appear on the map. Sense of scale get kind of lost sometimes in a game like TC.

The missions I took in my M5 all involved large asteroids around Ore Belt and such, so it automatically guided me to the right places.

Smaller asteroids do show their ore type if you press the information key. It's kind of strange that the game should assume you know that though. It makes sense if they came from a large asteroid that you broke up yourself, but that doesn't really fly for the random rubble you come across everywhere.

Either way, I figured out what I was doing wrong. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

cmdnenad
x3tc

Post by cmdnenad » Wed, 30. Nov 11, 22:54

I'm glad you sorted it out :mrgreen:.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”