Best weapon for trade ships OOS

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BryanNeff
x3tc

Best weapon for trade ships OOS

Post by BryanNeff » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 20:25

While I knew that accuracy and weapon speed aren't much of a factor OOS, I only was thankfully informed recently that weapon energy consumption isn't either.

So based on all this information, what are the best trader turret weapons? Say, for Mistrals/Mistral SF, since they're arguably the best TSs.

PRGs have been what I've been using, but it occurs to me that that's rather idiotic, given everything that makes them useful IS is useless OOS. So what replaces them? HEPTs?

I'm assuming vanilla weapons that can be bought - not pirate station weapons.

Shootist
x4

Re: Best weapon for trade ships OOS

Post by Shootist » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 20:29

BryanNeff wrote:While I knew that accuracy and weapon speed aren't much of a factor OOS, I only was thankfully informed recently that weapon energy consumption isn't either.

So based on all this information, what are the best trader turret weapons? Say, for Mistrals/Mistral SF, since they're arguably the best TSs.

PRGs have been what I've been using, but it occurs to me that that's rather idiotic, given everything that makes them useful IS is useless OOS. So what replaces them? HEPTs?

I'm assuming vanilla weapons that can be bought - not pirate station weapons.
The best weapon? A jump drive and e-cell, at least after she learns to use the jump drive.

Seriously. The MK3 trader will jump from danger. Give her some drones for extra protection.

Rhox
x4

Post by Rhox » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 20:33

For OOS, just take the strongest weapons you can get. In case of your Mistrals, that would be PRGs...
Still, a TS is not made for fighting and will get destroyed pretty quickly. Just issue the TS the command to do an emergency jump at about 80-90 %

best regards,
Rhox
"Warnung: Frachtraum ist.....Frachtraum enthält nun: Khaak Zerstörer" -"Cool!"

http://www.seizewell.de - die ultimative deutsche Ressource zur X-Reihe
http://www.x-lexikon.xibo.at -ein deutsches Wiki zur X-Reihe

BryanNeff
x3tc

Post by BryanNeff » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 20:36

Still, a TS is not made for fighting and will get destroyed pretty quickly. Just issue the TS the command to do an emergency jump at about 80-90 %
Can you order TS's to do emergency jumps? I've seen this option on M6's and bigger, though it doesn't seem to do anything - they never seem to actually flee.

The shield threshhold option doesn't ever appear on TS's, as far as I can tell.

Aren't PRGs weaker per shot than HEPTs?

ConCorDian
x3tc

Post by ConCorDian » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 20:37

in all fairness a freighter wont be able to fight off enimies at all OOS. mistrals maybe if you fit her with HEPTS (easiest way to think of weapons OOS is fit the highest damage ones)

Shootist is kinda right on the best thing you can hope for is your TS to jump from a fight but thats really only if you get the chance to, it depends what you come up against. other thing that might be worth trying is fitting Mk2 fighter drones.

Rhox
x4

Post by Rhox » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 20:38

If I remember correctly, the emergency jump option is available on every ship...
And yes, PRGs are weaker, but HEPTs cannot be mounted on any Mistral variant.

best regards,
Rhox
"Warnung: Frachtraum ist.....Frachtraum enthält nun: Khaak Zerstörer" -"Cool!"

http://www.seizewell.de - die ultimative deutsche Ressource zur X-Reihe
http://www.x-lexikon.xibo.at -ein deutsches Wiki zur X-Reihe

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 20:48

PRGs are marginally more powerful than PACs, but they are much, much more expensive, and are also much more difficult to obtain in large quantities. Consider that when outfitting a fleet of 40 Mistrals for trading. I personally outfit my Mistrals with PACs.

Automatic Jack
x3tc

Post by Automatic Jack » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 21:17

BryanNeff wrote:Can you order TS's to do emergency jumps? I've seen this option on M6's and bigger, though it doesn't seem to do anything - they never seem to actually flee.

The shield threshhold option doesn't ever appear on TS's, as far as I can tell.
ST's and UT's do it as a result of their experience, they'll even buy the jumpdrives if you don't give them one.
Falcrack wrote:PRGs are marginally more powerful than PACs, but they are much, much more expensive, and are also much more difficult to obtain in large quantities. Consider that when outfitting a fleet of 40 Mistrals for trading. I personally outfit my Mistrals with PACs.
Apart from making your own, I've seen PRG's as buyable equipment at shipyards.

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 21:25

Forget about weapons for your MK3 traders. Won't do any good. A jumpdrive is better. E-cells and drones are bought automatically and the only hope you have. Even a Mistral SF can't overcome the generic Pirate patrole. Either it survives the assault or you get a minimum rep boost because it was able to attack the M5 of the attacking party.
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 21:29

Automatic Jack wrote:Apart from making your own, I've seen PRG's as buyable equipment at shipyards.
Sometimes, most often not, but as I said, cost/benefit ratio is far better with PACs. Even if you are making your own PRGs, it takes a long while to make a bunch unless you have a large complex, and you could be selling them for a high price instead.

A PRG costs ~150000 credits, and a PAC costs ~38000 credits. Outfitting a mistral with PRGs instead of PACs costs 900000, versus 228000 with PACs, and when you consider the base cost of a mistral at 290000 credits, getting them outfitted with PRGs is awfully expensive.

To be honest, last time I fit out a large group of mistrals, I only fitted them with IREs, because they are super cheap, super plentiful, and my freighters have no business fighting anyways. I only put guns at all on them because I wanted them to be able to take out the odd pirate M5 than comes along, and that's it.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 21:36

Rhox wrote:If I remember correctly, the emergency jump option is available on every ship...
Nope. TS's, TP's and fighters don't have it. Basically the 'small ships', except for the TM, don't have that option.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 21:37

Nanook wrote:
Rhox wrote:If I remember correctly, the emergency jump option is available on every ship...
Nope. TS's, TP's and fighters don't have it. Basically the 'small ships', except for the TM, don't have that option.
And those bigger ships that do have it, won't ever use it, in my experience, so it seems to be a broken function.

BryanNeff
x3tc

Post by BryanNeff » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 21:55

I guess I should have clarified...

I understand STs and UTs emergency jump. CLS and Sell/Buy ware for best price, however, do not. And that is where I have trouble. If they did, I would entirely agree with all of you - Just let them do their jump drive thing.

I also have about 30 mistrals clustered together doing OOS mining... and I can't help but wonder if pirates did attack 30 mistrals each armed with 6 PRGs with 'Attack all enemies' I might come out alright...

Granted, I've got Springblossoms patrolling the sector, and it's a very quiet sector, so it probably won't be an issue, but I'm still curious.

dragonemp
xr

Post by dragonemp » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 22:03

trade ship should not have ANY weapon OOS, this way the ship won't try to fight back, instead it will deploy fighter drones, then jump away, thus it will have much higher possibility to survive unless OOS engine destroyed the ship in the first round

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 22:07

dragonemp wrote:trade ship should not have ANY weapon OOS, this way the ship won't try to fight back, instead it will deploy fighter drones, then jump away, thus it will have much higher possibility to survive unless OOS engine destroyed the ship in the first round
I think the "if trader have weapon they will try to fight back" is just a myth. Armed or not, all freighter will try to run or jump the moment they're attacked.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 22:17

BryanNeff wrote:I guess I should have clarified...

I understand STs and UTs emergency jump. CLS and Sell/Buy ware for best price, however, do not. And that is where I have trouble. If they did, I would entirely agree with all of you - Just let them do their jump drive thing.
Sure the sell/buy for best price huys won't jump when attacked, but I'm pretty sure the CLS guys will.

The buy/sell for best price option is cheap and easy to set up, but not very versatile or safe for the ships assigned to this task. There is no coordination between ships using this function also, so several set to buy at good at best price for a given factory will end up with several all going to the same factory at once, with only the one getting there first getting the best price possible. CAGs are much better at coordination in this regard, and will jump at the sign of an enemy attack, or even not enter a sector to begin with if a big enough threat is present.

Catra

Post by Catra » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 22:19

how OOS damage are calculated:
Its damage per hit that's used for OOS calculations.

The DPH of weapons is all added up, and then a multiplier ranging from .5 to 16 is applied to the resulting volley.
so the ION-D would be the best OOS weapon to use for the mistral.

just throw in a PAC / IRE or two so you can rip into a targets hull. =P
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

BryanNeff
x3tc

Post by BryanNeff » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 22:32

Thanks all. Sounds like the answer is 'It doesn't matter much'. Shame that CLS and Best Buy/Best Sell don't jump when spooked.

EDIT :
but I'm pretty sure the CLS guys will.
They don't seem to in my experience. It wasn't a level issue either - he was a Logistician. All of his waypoints were in sector, so that my have had something to do with it - I have no idea. I just know he was happily getting shot up until I barely saved him.

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 23:27

BryanNeff wrote:Thanks all. Sounds like the answer is 'It doesn't matter much'. Shame that CLS and Best Buy/Best Sell don't jump when spooked.

EDIT :
but I'm pretty sure the CLS guys will.
They don't seem to in my experience. It wasn't a level issue either - he was a Logistician. All of his waypoints were in sector, so that my have had something to do with it - I have no idea. I just know he was happily getting shot up until I barely saved him.
Is he "allowed" to use it? I mean in CLS options you can choose whether they use jumpdrive or not. But I have a different problem with CAG's even high level ones act weird -> instead of taking all products and selling them they only take a bit (two torpedos) and while they spend all their time on that other products fill the stock - weird, so I still use normal sell for best price

AgamemnonArgon
x3tc

Post by AgamemnonArgon » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 23:37

Drones are the best weapon.
The give a TS time to escape.
They are no use to fight with.
Argon Patriot and Battlemaster
Peace - Through Superior Firepower

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”