X3AP Just sharing my experience with carrier combat

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

TDKPS
x3tc

X3AP Just sharing my experience with carrier combat

Post by TDKPS » Mon, 19. Dec 11, 01:00

A recent thread in here about M1 vs M2 in the new X3 AP got me thinking. How effective can a lone carrier packed with fighters be? The answer to that is: Extremely effective. Using a Tokyo equipped with SSCs and PSPs - and lots of missiles and ammo for fighters to rearm, plus marine repairs script -, I created 10 fighter wings with 5 fighters in each of 50 Tenjins completely upgraded carrying EBCs on their main guns, 4 PACs, 15 Hammerhead Missiles, 70 Mosquitos (with MDM on) and 70 Dragonflies. After picking a target (Argon Prime), I jumped us on the north gate and launched fighter wings with objectives while moving south. Argon One was the priority then the Titans and Colossus and finally the stations.

Argon One (near the north gate) was lit up so fast that when my Tokyo (at 82m/s) approached it to launch the killing blow (Spectre missile), it had less than 200k of hull. After Argon One went down, we faced fierce resistance, outnumbered 5:1 by enemy fighters. I restricted the wings movement a bit, making them hit their targets (more carriers than destroyers, unfortunately) while I circled around them using the SSC to reduce the amount of enemy fighters.

Within 10 minutes, all enemy resistance was eliminated and most ships were fleeing. We began taking down the stations with the remainder of the hammerhead missiles and after the whole sector was cleared - except the enemy Rapid Response Fleet that was dropping in on us -, we moved toward the RRF in a more even conflict. Unfortunately, I made a mistake, we didnt have enough missiles to counter the ones launched against us (the opening battle was lit up like a Christmas three) and we ended up having 25 losses in the extract - we could have jumped but I wanted to face the RRF - . I consider the mission to have been extremely effective, with total enemy loss of over 300 ships - not sure if it was luck or the rebalance system, but that was what happened. PS: Those hammerhead missiles are monsters. Because I was too busy micromanaging everything, I only had time to take 5 screenshots. Here they are, enjoy, and I hope it helps:
http://i44.tinypic.com/a4n2c3.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/4kacdw.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/eu353t.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/m9rp5h.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/282ts0.jpg
No supporting ships were used. (That was a save I reverted to after wiping out the entire Argon Prime with the 5th fleet)
EDIT: Turned images into links because they were too large.
-TDKPS

WeriTis
x3tc

Post by WeriTis » Mon, 19. Dec 11, 02:29

nice screenshots. Too bad you hardly can do this in a vanilla game.

Also, did you get your Tokyo + Fighters in an honest way? :p
"An open mind is like a fortress with its gate unbarred and unguarded."
dzhedzho wrote: Trade - insults with other community members, or tips how to improve performance
Fight - with steam for refund, or the overwhelming feeling of hopelessness
Build - your patience and knowledge of xml save editing.
Think - before you preorder next time

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Mon, 19. Dec 11, 02:32

I'm more interested to see how AP's stock fleet system works. I've seen the option in the command console, but I haven't amassed enough ships to really use it.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

TDKPS
x3tc

Post by TDKPS » Mon, 19. Dec 11, 02:49

@WeriTis I posted in another thread how I amassed billions. in two days with SETA 10x overnight, I sold my kat. bought a freighter and a fighter, freighter mined Nvidium while I capped ships and raised rep by doing missions. Sold the freighter loaded with NV and bought more freighters. half started as nvidium miners and half as traders, after gathering 400mil.+ I invested it all in freighters which give me 20+mil per hours, SETA 10X and bam. Built factory loops, SETA 10x, invested profits in fleets of traders and warships. Marine repairs work to fix my damaged ships AFTER combat the entire combat part was 100% vanilla, so yeah, it can happen.
@Klo-Hunt3r I'll post a review within the next 24 hours.

-TDKPS

DaWilko
x4

Post by DaWilko » Wed, 25. Jan 12, 02:15

Hi TDKPS,
I've been on the hunt for Nividium roids in X3AP, can't seem to find them. Do you mind sharing the location? Yes, possible spoiler alerts for everyone reading here on.

Catra

Post by Catra » Wed, 25. Jan 12, 02:27

Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

Catra

Post by Catra » Wed, 25. Jan 12, 02:28

KloHunt3r wrote:I'm more interested to see how AP's stock fleet system works. I've seen the option in the command console, but I haven't amassed enough ships to really use it.
theres a huge thread that lists how terrible it is floating about.
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

DaWilko
x4

Post by DaWilko » Wed, 25. Jan 12, 02:34

Thanks Catra, I was under the impresion that roid location and quantity changed from X3TC to X3AP? Would not not render X3RU's map obsolete for X3AP purposes?

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Wed, 25. Jan 12, 03:52

Catra wrote:
KloHunt3r wrote:I'm more interested to see how AP's stock fleet system works. I've seen the option in the command console, but I haven't amassed enough ships to really use it.
theres a huge thread that lists how terrible it is floating about.
I made that comment before that thread was made.

And yes, I've read the thread about how well it works (or doesn't).
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”