Earths artificial ring - torus

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Spoonikle
x3tc

Earths artificial ring - torus

Post by Spoonikle » Wed, 21. Dec 11, 22:54

The earth is over 40,000 KM in circumference, guessing that the torus is at least 20 miles above the earth... the earth torus is big... damn big... I am too lazy and only have the minimum high school level math skills to extrapolate just how big... Perhaps someone with more skill can.

WHO in hell would wanna blow that up?? Really?
Stargate is better....

KAAWOOOOOSH!!

Dantrithor
x3tc

Post by Dantrithor » Wed, 21. Dec 11, 23:04

I imagine the torus being at LEO (Low Earth Orbit) due to the fact it'd cause problems with satellites orbiting in MEO or HEO otherwise, and having it on HEO would require a tremendous amount of materials.

So.... earth equatorial radius: 6378Km

Radius from earth center to LEO orbit: 8378Km

Circumference = 2PI*Radius = 2*PI*8378Km = ~ 105227 Kilometres in lenght.

Pretty small, isn't it?

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 21. Dec 11, 23:09

Players have built a ring around the pebble in Aldrin, solo. Terrans hopefully worked as a team? :roll:

Erikaiht
x3tc

Post by Erikaiht » Wed, 21. Dec 11, 23:41

Really, for 1000 years of effort, it's not much. You get space elevators and travel to that height becomes near free. They had sublight, and speedy sublight at that for being able to get to Alpha Centuri in just 40 years was it? This means even without orbital accelerators that they could move around the solar system easily. Once you have those, gathering building materials is simple.

The real question is, why wasn't earth covered in an entire sphere? OR the sun, the Terrans had reached the point that a Dyson sphere was feasible. Could be the lack of materials in just their solar system though. (those things require a ton of em).
Am I a bad person for spelling out naughty words with several dozen kestrel, then flying them around at mach 1.78 through Kingdom End? Maybe. But I can do it, and the Boron just have to deal.

mistervec
x4

Post by mistervec » Wed, 21. Dec 11, 23:52

Erikaiht wrote:The real question is, why wasn't earth covered in an entire sphere? OR the sun, the Terrans had reached the point that a Dyson sphere was feasible. Could be the lack of materials in just their solar system though. (those things require a ton of em).
A Dyson sphere would require more material than is available in several solar systems to actually construct. Building one would pretty much require that one has the ability to deconstruct and rebuild matter on the atomic level and more energy than our sun will ever produce. Even a torus-like ring that goes around the sun would be an immense undertaking, though not nearly so resource-intensive as a full sphere.

So, that's probably why, I guess.

Allan F
x3ap

Post by Allan F » Thu, 22. Dec 11, 00:09

LEO is not 2000 km but 250 km.
Maverick: Requesting permission for flyby.
Air Boss Johnson: That's a negative ghostrider, the pattern is full.
Goose: No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.
Maverick: Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz a Split.
Split: Split now give you .... Aaaarrriiiigh.

Dantrithor
x3tc

Post by Dantrithor » Thu, 22. Dec 11, 00:19

LEO is up to 2,000Km (from 160Km). I decided to use the boundary between LEO to MEO so it would not interfere with standard today's satellite operations. Also, it's only a rough calculation. I didn't even use more than two decimals of Pi!

Spoonikle
x3tc

Post by Spoonikle » Thu, 22. Dec 11, 00:39

well a Dyson swarm would be more feasible. Using thousands of satellites around the sun and transmitting massive amounts of power to anywhere in the solar system using some type of array.

the swarm still allows the sun to provide energy for the solar system, while enabling its builders to draw massive amounts of power... Yet it would still need a lot or resources.

All of the ships in the x universe are amazingly advanced, but built for long term use without restocking. In fact, there is no true war ship in the x-universe other than an M7M or M8, because the ships are only using as much power as they can make and sustain forever. If you take this into account, and the fact that tranporter devices exist in the x-universe, they most likely have matter-energy conversion, yet such technology dose not give them infinite anything as it would always be mechanically inefficient.
Stargate is better....

KAAWOOOOOSH!!

Virtualaughing
x4

Post by Virtualaughing » Thu, 22. Dec 11, 01:57

This quest is simple....
Pick up the earth equator and add 10 meter eqaly divided around the world. You will get a ring ........ Is there any people on the world who can walk beneath the ring or not?

Please keep in mind all the circles in the universe are SIMILAR. Their all aspects and properties are related and proportional.
I'm low on math definitions in english but if the 2 X r X pi looks familiar then you can do the math.... IQ level meter in extra elementary schools

Another quest can be if you pick 6 match* and they equally long how can you make 4 triangles with them... you can not break them and all of the ends must be connected with at least one matches* ends.

*wand
Last edited by Virtualaughing on Thu, 22. Dec 11, 02:04, edited 2 times in total.
X to X3 is MENU SUPERIOR!
I think Egosoft has already worked out our doom, because Xenon AI will reach the stars! :D

Allan F
x3ap

Post by Allan F » Thu, 22. Dec 11, 02:04

Virtualaughing wrote:Another quest can be if you pick 6 match* and they equally long how can you make 4 triangles with them... you can not break them and all of the ends must be connected with at least one matches* ends. pointer*
Easy. 3 dimensions.
Maverick: Requesting permission for flyby.
Air Boss Johnson: That's a negative ghostrider, the pattern is full.
Goose: No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.
Maverick: Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz a Split.
Split: Split now give you .... Aaaarrriiiigh.

Steel_back
x3tc

Post by Steel_back » Thu, 22. Dec 11, 02:45

So your circumference is called L.

Then L = 2*pi*r with r as the rings radius.

Your new L' = L + x = 2*pi*r'. with x as the added length

so r' = (L / 2pi) + (x / 2pi) = r + x/2pi.

You can now add any length x to your ring and then go ahead and divide your x with 2*pi, to find out how much it will stand off your old one.
i5 2500K
GTX 560 TI
Win7 Px64
4GB RAM
Osiris454 wrote:I think I'll have it exit the east gate of Kingdom end and let it go barreling into the planet like some huge kamikaze Goner torpedo.

SinisterDeath
x4

Post by SinisterDeath » Thu, 22. Dec 11, 03:26

Ring-Worlds are a poor-mans dyson sphere... but oooh so much more simple. (specially the gravity part, no issue with the gravity plating failing and have everyone fall into the sun...)

But yea, It would take something like 50-500 of our solar systems... to create somethign of the equivolent to Niven's Ring World structure, and thats involving some very hypothetical building materials..

Another problem with the a dysonsphere is... just remember how 'tough' it is to actually build a ring world, get it 'perfectly' orbiting a star... Now do that with a Sphere... you almost have to build one, in several very large & Perfectly formed down to the nano-meter or smaller and 'lower' them into possition around the sun..

But even thats, not nearly as fun, IMO as using Nivens Ring-World Solar Flare Launcher defensive system. (And you KNOW That is just fricken awesome)

Spoonikle
x3tc

Post by Spoonikle » Thu, 22. Dec 11, 03:36

Not a hard enough challenge? OK

Go to the ergo-soft website and get the screen shot of the torus blowing up over Arizona. Then get in a God mode ship in X3:TC and fly from the tip of the spire to the back of the torus, to measure how thick it is, and any other measurements you can get.

Using the screen shot from Arizona find a reference object, and with that + the torus measurements, extrapolate the height of the torus's orbit. Once you have the orbit height, we can find out exactly how big the thing is.

Just for fun.
Stargate is better....

KAAWOOOOOSH!!

Virtualaughing
x4

Post by Virtualaughing » Thu, 22. Dec 11, 05:15

Point one
Im still waiting for the best solution how to calculate that....

Point two
Indeed :D
X to X3 is MENU SUPERIOR!
I think Egosoft has already worked out our doom, because Xenon AI will reach the stars! :D

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”