[AP] Kill missions, remove Bombers from the target list

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Skid
x4

[AP] Kill missions, remove Bombers from the target list

Post by Skid » Sat, 24. Dec 11, 18:07

This really need to be changed in my opinion, there nothing wrong with having them in the missions but as the target there just a pain. The reason, 90% of the time they are going to die when you shoot at them and they fire there own missiles. This counts as a failure as you didn't kill them they killed themselves.

Ether bomber shouldn't be the target in these missions or if they kill themselves you should succeed the mission, not abort it.
:) Skid :)
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

Jumee
x3tc

Re: [AP] Kill missions, remove Bombers from the target list

Post by Jumee » Sat, 24. Dec 11, 19:20

Skid wrote:This really need to be changed in my opinion, there nothing wrong with having them in the missions but as the target there just a pain. The reason, 90% of the time they are going to die when you shoot at them and they fire there own missiles. This counts as a failure as you didn't kill them they killed themselves.

Ether bomber shouldn't be the target in these missions or if they kill themselves you should succeed the mission, not abort it.
You need to start firing either in its back or bottom/top do not fire in its "face" that really reduces the risk that it will blow itself up

Ygdrad
x4

Post by Ygdrad » Sat, 24. Dec 11, 20:26

Or he could simply shoot missiles at it too. That's how I take care of assassinations quick and clean.
Shuffle on mega divers!

Catra

Post by Catra » Sat, 24. Dec 11, 20:29

indeed.

firestorm torpedo from the back agogo.
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

Drockt1
x4

Post by Drockt1 » Sat, 24. Dec 11, 20:41

I agree with him, nothing lamer then assassination missions where the m8 blows them self up.

As for shooting him in the back, or top, the missles sometimes curve around and still kill the m8. and sometimes the bullets miss right when hes firing and go right past him hitting the missile as it launches. Overall i think the best move is to just take of m8s from these missions.

garv222

Post by garv222 » Sat, 24. Dec 11, 21:05

For some reason I found this topic ironic, since some other guy posted a thread about how insanely difficult it is to hit tomahawks and the OP is saying he keeps shooting them by accident.
Last edited by garv222 on Sat, 24. Dec 11, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.
Duke's Buccaneers... I hate you so much... I am sooo demolishing your HQ when our business is finished....

Skid
x4

Post by Skid » Sat, 24. Dec 11, 21:45

Well a steam of 8 HEPTs take them out fairly quickly, if they're flying right at you, and if your flying a M6 they can just about one shot you so you can't not shoot them down.
:) Skid :)
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

Catra

Post by Catra » Sat, 24. Dec 11, 21:55

why would you attack a bomber from the front.....
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Sat, 24. Dec 11, 22:03

If I want to make sure I get the kill I only hit bombers with light weapons like PRGs. In groups of 4 to 6 they're strong enough to kill the bomber, but weak enough so they don't detonate the Tomahawks it fires as they're launched.
Last edited by A5PECT on Sun, 25. Dec 11, 00:09, edited 1 time in total.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Haine

Post by Haine » Sat, 24. Dec 11, 22:52

garv222 wrote:For some reason I found this topic ironic, since some other guy posted a thread about how insanely difficult it is to hit tomahawks and the OP is saying he keeps shooting them by accident.
That's because it is two different issues.

Hitting a Tomahawk in flight, away from a vessel and headed toward you is a pain. Hitting it as it's just released from a vessel. Not so much, the minor splash on weaponry will often times detonate it as it's so close to the vessel's hull.
Toshiba Qosmio X305
Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 @2.00ghz
4.0GB 1066 DDR3 RAM
Nvidia Geforce 9700M GTS 512meg

Catra

Post by Catra » Sat, 24. Dec 11, 22:57

Haine wrote:
garv222 wrote:For some reason I found this topic ironic, since some other guy posted a thread about how insanely difficult it is to hit tomahawks and the OP is saying he keeps shooting them by accident.
That's because it is two different issues.

Hitting a Tomahawk in flight, away from a vessel and headed toward you is a pain. Hitting it as it's just released from a vessel. Not so much, the minor splash on weaponry will often times detonate it as it's so close to the vessel's hull.
and according to him hes looking directly at the ship, making it the same issue.

Vyrebird
x4

Post by Vyrebird » Sat, 24. Dec 11, 22:58

The M8s seem to favor only having a limited number of Tomahawks in the air at once. If you dodge the Tomahawks, rather than shooting them down (with lasers or MDM), then the M8 will only launch them relatively rarely after it gets the initial bunch chasing you. That substantially reduces your chances of losing the kill credit to detonating a freshly-launched tomahawk, since it's much, much less likely to be launched a tomahawk at any given moment.

As a principle, doesn't work very well against missile-carrying fighters, or if you yourself are piloting a bigger ship that can't dodge well, but it's proven quite reliable for successfully killing M8s (with credit) from a M3 or M6.

Catra

Post by Catra » Sat, 24. Dec 11, 23:02

M7M + M8 launch exactly enough to kill you + 10% just in case.

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Sat, 24. Dec 11, 23:09

Assassination missions are best done eaither OOS or by the ramming method. ;)
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

Haine

Post by Haine » Sat, 24. Dec 11, 23:13

Completely unrelated, but how the hell do we kill the snowflake effect?

Also, anyone else finding it amazingly difficult trying to navigate the UI mid combat in order to space walk capture a vessel?

Trying to cap myself an M7M and it's hella difficult
Toshiba Qosmio X305
Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 @2.00ghz
4.0GB 1066 DDR3 RAM
Nvidia Geforce 9700M GTS 512meg

Catra

Post by Catra » Sat, 24. Dec 11, 23:25

please lets not revisit the QQwhorefest that is clunky piracy navigation and leave it at:

yes, everyone else does.

Vim Razz
x4

Post by Vim Razz » Sat, 24. Dec 11, 23:47

Haine wrote:Also, anyone else finding it amazingly difficult trying to navigate the UI mid combat in order to space walk capture a vessel?
In vanilla AP, hit "I", triple-tap the "Up Arrow", then hit "Enter".

Not quite as good as a direct hotkey, but still a big improvement.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Sat, 24. Dec 11, 23:57

I wrote:Or you can click on the enemy ship's targeting bracket on your HUD and select the launch marines command from there.

Of course, that only works if you're personally flying the boarding vessel.
I think a lot of players underestimate the power of the mouse when it comes to navigating menus.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Vim Razz
x4

Post by Vim Razz » Sun, 25. Dec 11, 00:10

Yeah -- thanks again for pointing that out!

The trouble with ~pure~ mouse reliance, though, is that the target's often off-screen, moving quickly in relation to your position, etc, etc...

"I" just brings up that same menu from the HUD.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Sun, 25. Dec 11, 00:14

True, but my boarding strategy involves getting the target to chase me, matching speed, then turning on the 3rd person camera and swinging the camera around to watch behind me. I can dodge the target's fire, launch missiles, and toggle my ship's turrets to keep their shields down, and click on it to launch marines. Once the marines are launched, the enemy ship will fly directly into them while trying to chase me.

Though, that's pretty reliant on flying with a mouse and I know a lot of players use joysticks. It would be a pain to constantly switch your dominant hand between a mouse and joystick rather than keeping it on the stick and using the keyboard to access menus. I suppose that's one reason many are adverse to using the mouse pointer more often.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”