[AP] Wingmen Docking Issues

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

kilmar
x4

[AP] Wingmen Docking Issues

Post by kilmar » Sun, 25. Dec 11, 02:59

Anyone have problems telling a wing to dock at a specific location? I tried to tell a wing of 3 fighters to dock at a completely empty Trade Station with no traffic in order to equip them, but they just keep randomly flying around.

As soon as I remove them from the wing and manually tell them to dock, they dock without any issues. Imagine if I bought 30 Nova Vanguards and had to tell each one to dock at TerraCorp HQ in order to equip each one with a Jumpdrive. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

Then, I have a lone Centaur in Gold Wing which follows my Griffon as a supply/support ship. Sure enough, even though the Centaur is the ONLY ship in the wing, I cannot tell it to dock anywhere. As soon as I remove it from the wing, it works.

Catra

Post by Catra » Sun, 25. Dec 11, 03:01

known issue.

dont use wings.
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

kilmar
x4

Post by kilmar » Sun, 25. Dec 11, 03:08

Thanks for answering. Is there an easier way to equip a large force? Say I want to buy 60 Nova Raiders for my Colossus and equip them with the following:

1. 4 PACs, 5 PRGs (1 turret)
2. Jumpdrives
3. 50 units of energy
4. 30 mosquito missiles for missile defense
5. 10 Tornado Missiles

Do you mean I need to do each one by hand?

Catra

Post by Catra » Sun, 25. Dec 11, 03:15

no.......
just dissolve the wing once everyone is equipped.
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

kilmar
x4

Post by kilmar » Sun, 25. Dec 11, 03:26

That still leaves me with removing all 60 ships from the wing, tell each of the 60 ships to dock at TerraCorp HQ, and buying Jumpdrives for each by hand. Talk about tedious.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Sun, 25. Dec 11, 03:33

When I'm using that many fighters I don't bother equipping them with jump drives, they just get Fight 1, 2, Navigation, and Special Command Software right out of the shipyard. It just isn't practical to upgrade that many ships when they can be so quickly lost to combat. Every time you lose a fighter you'll have to go through the whole process again.

Just give the carrier the jump drive and leave it in charge of moving the fighter group around; it's what they're built for, anyways.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Vyrebird
x4

Post by Vyrebird » Sun, 25. Dec 11, 04:14

Catra wrote:known issue.

dont use wings.
Is that new with AP? I never had a problem with wings docking in TC, unless the wing wanted more clamps than the station had available. (SSPs, EQDs, OTAS HQ, and misc non-super SYs were the typical targets)
kilmar wrote:Thanks for answering. Is there an easier way to equip a large force? Say I want to buy 60 Nova Raiders for my Colossus and equip them with the following:

1. 4 PACs, 5 PRGs (1 turret)
2. Jumpdrives
3. 50 units of energy
4. 30 mosquito missiles for missile defense
5. 10 Tornado Missiles

Do you mean I need to do each one by hand?
Have you looked into Supply Command Software? There's a post around here somewhere that explains it well, but its very handy for flooding equipment into a fleet. Essentially:

1) Tell all of the ships to follow a single 'leader' ship. If it doesn't work with the leader in the wing, drop a single NovaR from the wing, and have the other 59 (still winged) follow the lone non-winged one.
2) Put all the gear you want on a supply ship, equipped with a transporter device. So 240 PACs, 300 PRGs, 3000 Energy, etc. If cargo space is an issue, you only need 1 type at a time.
3) Order the supply ship to "Resupply Ships" -> target that lead ship everyone is following, and specify the total amount you want each ship to have. ie 4 PACs, 5 PRGs, etc. That's the number, regardless of how many they may already have - so if you bought them with 4 PRGs preinstalled, you'd still specify you want '5' total.
4) Repeat step 3 for each piece of gear.

Not the best description of the process, but hopefully it's enough to get the jist of it.

The swarm of ships must be in free space, not docked to anything. Ideally you want the entire mob of ships in transporter range of the supply ship, as that means it doesn't have to move and thus the command is very quick to execute. If they're out of range, it will simply fly to them, but that adds a lot of time if it's flying to 60 targets. If the supply ship does not have enough of an item to fufill the request, it *will* try to go buy it, so be careful about under-stocking.

When the command is complete, you get a message ping, stating (iirc) that the lead ship has successfully supplied the ware. (even though it was the Supply ship that did all the transfering)

Where guns are installed is determined by the order they're installed. You may need to experiment a bit to get that the way you want it. (ie maybe 5 PRG -> 4PAC, or 2 PRG -> 4 PAC -> 5 PRG, etc)

That won't help you with the Jumpdrives, but it should get all the shields, guns, and missiles onboard. For the jumpdrives, there's no good solution I know of - they all involve doing something manually to each ship. I, like KloHunt3r, usually skip Jumpdrives on fighter fleets, and have them rely on a carrier of some kind for transport. When I do equip a fleet with jumpdrives, it's a one-at-a-time process :/

Catra

Post by Catra » Sun, 25. Dec 11, 04:16

no, its not new to AP, youve just been lucky with the command.

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Sun, 25. Dec 11, 04:55

also if you buy your ships in Legends Home then you can equip them with jumpdrives while you are buying them but that limits you to OTAS/Argon ships. But you can also tell all your ships to fly there dock at the shipyard and then select - "upgrade all" and buy your jumpdrives (AP only)

Vyrebird
x4

Post by Vyrebird » Sun, 25. Dec 11, 05:12

Jumee wrote:also if you buy your ships in Legends Home then you can equip them with jumpdrives while you are buying them but that limits you to OTAS/Argon ships. But you can also tell all your ships to fly there dock at the shipyard and then select - "upgrade all" and buy your jumpdrives (AP only)
Downside of buying at Legends Home is that there is no EqD, so you don't get to do the bulk speed/turning/cargo upgrades at purchase time.
(unless AP changed that? Can't remember ... haven't tried for a wing of Solanos or Mistrals yet ><)

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Sun, 25. Dec 11, 05:18

Vyrebird wrote:
Jumee wrote:also if you buy your ships in Legends Home then you can equip them with jumpdrives while you are buying them but that limits you to OTAS/Argon ships. But you can also tell all your ships to fly there dock at the shipyard and then select - "upgrade all" and buy your jumpdrives (AP only)
Downside of buying at Legends Home is that there is no EqD, so you don't get to do the bulk speed/turning/cargo upgrades at purchase time.
(unless AP changed that? Can't remember ... haven't tried for a wing of Solanos or Mistrals yet ><)
yeah forgot about that but you can send them to nearby sector Light of Heart (2 sectors away) dock them all at shipyard there and then bulk buy all the tunings
Thats what I do anyway the main reason why the majority of my ships are Argon

Vim Razz
x4

Post by Vim Razz » Sun, 25. Dec 11, 06:32

In AP, you can dock them all at the LH shipyard, and -- as long as they've still got identical kit -- you buy then OTAS HQ wares all at once.

And if you bought all your stuff at OTAS in the first place, you can just dock them at any shipyard with an EQD in sector and buy all their tunings, etc at the same time.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”