Question about locating Mobile Drilling Systems

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

blaster395
x3ap

Question about locating Mobile Drilling Systems

Post by blaster395 » Tue, 27. Dec 11, 17:59

I set up a single mobile miner, and managed to find a mobile drilling system for it. I also purchased a second-hand mercury tanker (Via the mission) and am looking to get that to do mobile mining as well. However, I am unable to find any place with a Mobile Drilling System in stock. I have checked Argon Prime, Cloudbase Southeast, Kingdoms End and Three Worlds, none of which have any in stock.

Where do I find a factory that manufactures them so that I can buy them whenever I need to as opposed to searching all the different equipment docks?

KongRudi
x3tc

Post by KongRudi » Tue, 27. Dec 11, 18:04

You can see in the ingame encyclopedia.

[ external image ]

If you go down on Lasers, and read about it, you will see if you've discovered any factories selling them.
It will update itself each time you've found a new factory, it will be added to the encyclopedia-entry.

Threesixtyci
x4

Post by Threesixtyci » Tue, 27. Dec 11, 18:06

You don't need them. I know the only laser those miners can equip are that mining laser. But with regular TS ships you can just equip them with a mining scoop, the special software upgrade, and with any laser that they can hold, and it'll do it's job just fine.

AI doesn't make use of the mining laser anyways (just slows them down when your IS with them, due to the long energy regen), because the AI will never use it to destroy Huge Asteroids (the ones that you can build mines on). Which is really the only thing that would take an excessive amount of time to destroy with regular lasers and takes only one shot to kill with the mining laser. So, for what the AI uses the lasers for, is just plane overkill with that slow firing miner's laser. Not to mention the cost difference.

Also, TC respawns rocks. So you don't even have to re destroy the huge Asteroids yourself, to get them working again. (Which is what you'd have to do in Reunion, because in Reunion only the huge Asteroids would respawn when destroyed.)

Most people just avoid the miner ships like the plague..... and use regular TS ships with a mining scoop with a regular laser equipped. Mining scoops are much easier to find...

And yeah... the Encyclopedia will show you what stations sell stuff, but it doesn't show you if the station has any. And most likely, the only stations you found that sell mining lasers are equipment docks, which don't produce anything... and are likely empty. And if you happen to do find a factory. It's likely near empty with a huge increase of cost to buy. But then that means there is an equipment dock somewhere with a full inventory at average price, somewhere.

Sinxar
x4

Post by Sinxar » Tue, 27. Dec 11, 18:29

Funny you would ask this as I just about pulled the rest of my hair out looking for them.

The encyclopedia was completely useless for me as I only found EQ docks that sold em, and ofc, they are NEVER stocked. A bit of forum searching and I found one spot so far that makes em
Spoiler
Show
Cardinal's Domain
It may not be there in your game however. I cleaned it out to make sure that doesn't happen again lol.

I didn't try to put a regular laser on them, would have saved me hours of searching all the EQ docks hahaha. Oh well. Trained up a bunch of LTs in that time and capped a few ships anyway so no worries. I assume regular lasers work for OOS MM?

blaster395
x3ap

Post by blaster395 » Tue, 27. Dec 11, 18:30

I put a regular laser on it, but the only mining related order I can give to it is collect rocks. Mine Minerals and Mine and Trade Minerals are both grayed out. How do I handle this?

Vim Razz
x4

Post by Vim Razz » Tue, 27. Dec 11, 18:40

Sounds like your mining ship might be missing a Mineral Scanner.

And yeah, normal lasers work fine. Like a PAC or something. The only thing the mining laser is really needed for is breaking up full-sized asteroids, and it's common to just use Hornet missiles for that anyway.

blaster395
x3ap

Post by blaster395 » Tue, 27. Dec 11, 18:44

Vim Razz wrote:Sounds like your mining ship might be missing a Mineral Scanner.

And yeah, normal lasers work fine. Like a PAC or something. The only thing the mining laser is really needed for is breaking up full-sized asteroids, and it's common to just use Hornet missiles for that anyway.
Thank you, that worked. I should really write down all the things I need for this somewhere.

Vim Razz
x4

Post by Vim Razz » Tue, 27. Dec 11, 18:52

Chears.

There's a nice little list of things needed for different functions in the FAQ -> Gameplay -> Upgrades -> "What equipment do I need for command X?"

Threesixtyci
x4

Post by Threesixtyci » Tue, 27. Dec 11, 19:58

Oh... guess I forgot about the mineral scanner. But that's should be a given, shouldn't it?

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”