Getting the Poison Paranid start in [AP]

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Id13

Getting the Poison Paranid start in [AP]

Post by Id13 » Sun, 1. Jan 12, 21:49

So I heard people talking about this, but didn't see it as an available start. I really want that overtuned Hyperion. I did some digging and found the following:
infy dev wrote:
Dis Astranagant wrote:
infy dev wrote:You guys know you can unlock the Poisoned Paranid gamestart in AP, right?
Or you could simply use the registry fix and have all the starts.
but it's kind of fun to play through the teladi one that precedes it.
OK, so how do I get my damned overtuned Hyperion. I have no idea what these people are talking about.

Thanks!

Xander Cade
x3tc

Post by Xander Cade » Sun, 1. Jan 12, 21:52

Once you reach a given Trade rank (I forget which, but it isn't high), the Tormented Teladi start will become available. Upon completion of the Tormented Teladi missions (which, IIRC, requires you to get 4 million credits or something), the Poisoned Paranid start will be unlocked.
"What he doesn't understand is that the Welsh are a subject people, put on Earth to do menial tasks for the English." - John Cleese

Id13

Post by Id13 » Sun, 1. Jan 12, 21:55

Thanks for clearing that up. This game is like a massive mind puzzle...which is why I love it. I almost thought they didn't make games like they used to until I found this game. Makes me also realize that computer gaming is where it's at.

Kinda sucks that I have to play through one storyline in one game in order to play another in a completely different game, but it shouldn't take me too long to raise the money and complete the Tormented Teladi mission.

Neferdias
x3tc

Post by Neferdias » Sun, 1. Jan 12, 23:09

It's not that much work... It';s only one mission... and 2.5 mill is pretty easy to get your hands on in AP... that's about 40 minutes worth of work (provided you can gather 10k credits with ease)

The paranid mission is a little more work... but your given enough time to do it.

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Sun, 1. Jan 12, 23:18

The setting that determines which starts are available is in the registry should be exactly where you're expect it (for X3TC it's current user, software, egosoft, X3TC, 'Gamestarts' key), setting it to 0xFFFF will unlock all starts, or for just the poisoned paranid set it to 0x80 (or add 0x80 to the current number if you're familiar with hexadecimal), assuming it hasn't changed from TC.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

Id13

Post by Id13 » Sun, 1. Jan 12, 23:26

I'm using steam and I can't find any of that. Any ideas?

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Sun, 1. Jan 12, 23:31

Id13 wrote:I'm using steam and I can't find any of that. Any ideas?
I suppose steam may have hijacked that as well, try looking under steam or valve instead of egosoft, or just use regedit's search facility for a key named 'GameStarts' (it's the same in both X3R and X3TC so it should be the same for AP).

Obviously if you find it using search do double check the entry is in an X3:AP related folder in the registry.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

Id13

Post by Id13 » Mon, 2. Jan 12, 01:12

Just decided to unlock it...

Holy crap is poisoned paranid awesome. I never actually felt awesome while engaged in any of the other plots. I was not expecting that start, died two times before I realized the full extent of my situation. Haha, now to raise 25 million...

infy dev
x4

Post by infy dev » Mon, 2. Jan 12, 01:39

I think it's only 2.25 million, for the Teladi start - I could be wrong, though.

infy dev
x4

Post by infy dev » Mon, 2. Jan 12, 01:49

Id13 wrote:Haha, now to raise 25 million...
good luck! this time round I did it in well under 6 hours (in fact, I raised a couple of million over the amount, so I could buy a fast ship just to fly all the way back) - possibly even less time, but I wasn't paying attention.

anyway, you'll want to save JUST BEFORE you pay for the cure; then pay & check how fast your new Hyperion goes - reload and try again if it's not at least 200m/s (preferably even faster).

an M6 that moves that fast and can dock smaller ships (more useful for carrying spare jumpdrives or recovering claimable ships than for wingmen) is a really nice reward, and is probably the most flexible player ship available.

also, try not to annoy the Yaki or Duke's Haven too much when earning your money - in this gamestart you actually start with reasonable relationships with those two factions, and it's hard to earn it back.

Id13

Post by Id13 » Mon, 2. Jan 12, 03:17

Right now I'm sitting at the stock exchange in merchants haven. Anyone have any idea where I can get a Trading System Extension without leveling up my faction with anyone? Can't buy one from the damn argon because I started as a paranid, which is oddly enough the one faction I'm more than happy to ruin my relations with.

TomatoAE
x4

Post by TomatoAE » Mon, 2. Jan 12, 04:34

has anyone noticed that when leaving some shipdocks and outposts the paranid hyperion hits the shipyard and is destroyed?

Also, how come even after i got the hyperion i still have some paranid ships as "red" or agressive. I have raised my paranid rating and everything... Im a peaceful guy, honest!

Vim Razz
x4

Post by Vim Razz » Mon, 2. Jan 12, 12:53

TomatoAE wrote:has anyone noticed that when leaving some shipdocks and outposts the paranid hyperion hits the shipyard and is destroyed?
heh, yup -- lots of ships with "wings" will blow up while undocking from large internal hangers if you don't let the autopilot do it for you...

It's a nuisance.
Also, how come even after i got the hyperion i still have some paranid ships as "red" or agressive. I have raised my paranid rating and everything... Im a peaceful guy, honest!
Every time you go heavily into the red with any group, there will be individuals who hold grudges... that's just the price you have to pay for your fancy new ship.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”