[AP] For a good time, deploy 100 lasertowers in a Xenon sector :-)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Fnord Lightbringer
x4

[AP] For a good time, deploy 100 lasertowers in a Xenon sector :-)

Post by Fnord Lightbringer » Mon, 2. Jan 12, 23:57

I tried this for the lulz, and it is indeed an epic experience. I loaded 100 lasertowers in my ship, jumped into the xenon sector between Black Hole Sun and Thyn's Abyss, and kicked them all out of the airlock, while sitting in the middle of them.

It was awesome to watch. It took them seconds to destroy a Q before it even got to shoot the first salvo. This only works if you stay in the sector, otherwise the Xenon will eventually overcome your laser towers. But until then it's a glorious sight if the game pissed you off and you need some payback :-)

Also just watching the 100 lasertowers around you turning to acquire a new target is awesome if you are sitting in the middle. Now if only there was a command to beam the lasertowers back into your cargo hold. Manually flying through them takes ages and is no fun.

It would be even funnier if one could command the lasertowers to shoot a Xenon base. MUHAHAHAHAHAHA

KongRudi
x3tc

Post by KongRudi » Tue, 3. Jan 12, 00:54

Sounds cool, it would have been even awesomer if you brought screenshots into the mix.. :P
Are you like me, allways forget to hit prt screen when the cool stuff happens? :P

Xander Cade
x3tc

Post by Xander Cade » Tue, 3. Jan 12, 01:02

While I agree it is a cool sight to behold, it is also, arguably, one of the biggest exploits in the game.
"What he doesn't understand is that the Welsh are a subject people, put on Earth to do menial tasks for the English." - John Cleese

Neferdias
x3tc

Post by Neferdias » Tue, 3. Jan 12, 01:12

How is using Laser towers an exploit? I would drop smart usage of LT's into the THINK category...

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Tue, 3. Jan 12, 01:16

Xander Cade wrote:While I agree it is a cool sight to behold, it is also, arguably, one of the biggest exploits in the game.
that and thousands of fighter drones :D

Xander Cade
x3tc

Post by Xander Cade » Tue, 3. Jan 12, 01:17

Using Laser Towers is not an exploit.

Using Laser Towers en masse to do things you are not otherwise capable of yet, like clearing a Xenon Sector in a TS, is an exploit.
"What he doesn't understand is that the Welsh are a subject people, put on Earth to do menial tasks for the English." - John Cleese

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Tue, 3. Jan 12, 02:41

Xander Cade wrote:Using Laser Towers is not an exploit.

Using Laser Towers en masse to do things you are not otherwise capable of yet, like clearing a Xenon Sector in a TS, is an exploit.
i dont think it is a "proper" exploit cause than one can argue that buying a Boreas is an exploit :)

Promethium
x3tc

Post by Promethium » Tue, 3. Jan 12, 03:00

I don't understand this. How is it an exploit?

Exploiting the usage of something that's put in the game? That's not exploiting anything, that's using your resources wisely.

That's like saying using Hammerhead missiles on your M3 is an exploit because otherwise it'd be really hard to take out most M6's.

Xander Cade
x3tc

Post by Xander Cade » Tue, 3. Jan 12, 03:22

It is an exploit because you can not only have a Dolphin with ten times the firepower of a Boreas, at a fraction of the cost, but you can essentially do so within the first couple of hours of a game. The mis-use of Laser Towers, as described in this thread (and numerous others), makes every single combat ship in the game redundant.

Id13

Post by Id13 » Tue, 3. Jan 12, 03:45

Xander Cade wrote:It is an exploit because you can not only have a Dolphin with ten times the firepower of a Boreas, at a fraction of the cost, but you can essentially do so within the first couple of hours of a game. The mis-use of Laser Towers, as described in this thread (and numerous others), makes every single combat ship in the game redundant.
I think you did your math a little bit wrong there friend. Last I checked the Boreas can also hold a large number of Laser Towers.

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Tue, 3. Jan 12, 03:55

Id13 wrote:
Xander Cade wrote:It is an exploit because you can not only have a Dolphin with ten times the firepower of a Boreas, at a fraction of the cost, but you can essentially do so within the first couple of hours of a game. The mis-use of Laser Towers, as described in this thread (and numerous others), makes every single combat ship in the game redundant.
I think you did your math a little bit wrong there friend. Last I checked the Boreas can also hold a large number of Laser Towers.
now that way of thinking is what I like xD

tatakau
x3tc

Post by tatakau » Tue, 3. Jan 12, 04:10

deleted
Last edited by tatakau on Wed, 12. Jun 19, 11:30, edited 1 time in total.

Neferdias
x3tc

Post by Neferdias » Tue, 3. Jan 12, 05:13

Id13 wrote:
You sir, win the internet.

It's by no means an exploit. It's just another way of doing things. Makes me want to load up a Super Freighter with Laser Towers and Drone MKII's and see how long I can live for in a Xenon Core sector...

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 3. Jan 12, 05:15

Technically, it is not an exploit. It does not allow you an unintended advantage or allow you to accomplish or attain something which you are not supposed to be able to achieve.

But, it is sort of cheesy. :D Still, it's funny, though, and I bet its worth doing, just for the lightshow and 'splosions.

A true "Exploit" would be duping weapons, which is unintended. Selling Nividium in huge quantities by loading freighters and selling them at shipyards is an exploit due to developer oversight which, most assume, was an unintended consequence of the feature that prices ship sale's prices. Yet, the devs have left this feature in for X3TC, so it's an arguable point. But, IMO, leaving that particular feature in affords knowledgeable players the opportunity to quickly build up their game and that's nice to have. Unfortunately, new players make use of that "exploit" as well. Meh.. it is what it is and everyone has choices to make.

But, I don't think dumping a hold full of laser towers in a xenon sector is an exploit, technically or loosely defined. The player is still at some measure of risk, must remain in the sector to get the full effect, must still purchase and place the laser towers and must still risk them in the attempt.

I'd like to see a vid of it, though. :D

Bill Huntington
x3tc

LTs and the Xenon sectors

Post by Bill Huntington » Tue, 3. Jan 12, 08:09

I have a problem when someone tries to say some part of the game is an exploit, or unfair advantage, or cheating. TC is here to be played in a lot of different ways.

At one time or another, someone has claimed the Springblossom and the overtuned Hyperion was an exploit. Niv, of course. The Skirnir with Shadows, or any M8. Cloning weapons. Even strafing. These are all part of TC. If you don't want to use them, fine. But please don't tell other pilots that we are exploiting, taking advantage, or cheating when we are using a normal part of the game !!

Just dumping LTs and watching the show is one thing. It is quite a show, too. To see a K or even a Q come charging in, and then just disappeaing ... awesome. But the Xenon ship got one or two LTs. And the next one will too. So over time, the Xenon will clear that LT field. We don't even get combat credit for killing them that way.

Blocks of Lasertowers can be an important part of a Gate blockade of the Xenon sectors. They can also help a pilot actually occupy and hold Xenon 472. This is now an exploit ?? I don't think so. ( I wrote a few guides on all this, which you can find if you search for them.)
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

qwizzie
x4

Post by qwizzie » Tue, 3. Jan 12, 10:25

i assume with the reworked and more effective OOS scripts the lasertower will now actually work in X3 AP with OOS? I remember the lasertowers in X3 TC kinda sucked OOS. Can someone pls confirm.

Legionos
x3tc

Post by Legionos » Tue, 3. Jan 12, 16:09

Singler player game, does not matter if something is an exploit. Not everyone will use it, who cares if anyone uses it?

Shootist
x4

Post by Shootist » Tue, 3. Jan 12, 16:25

Jumee wrote:

i dont think it is a "proper" exploit cause than one can argue that buying a Boreas is an exploit :)
Can there be exploits in a single player sand box?

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Tue, 3. Jan 12, 16:32

Shootist wrote:
Jumee wrote:

Can there be exploits in a single player sand box?
I dont think so, since whatever you do doesnt affect others, but the point I tried to make with that message is that even if things like stock market manipulation and niv mining can be argued to be an exploit this cant

Bill Bones
x3

Post by Bill Bones » Wed, 4. Jan 12, 22:38

100 laser towers? Where did he got so many of them? :?

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”