{X3TC} Hyperion Vanguard outfit

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Kelvhan Amaratharr
x3tc

{X3TC} Hyperion Vanguard outfit

Post by Kelvhan Amaratharr » Tue, 3. Jan 12, 10:43

Hi all,

I just managed to finish the Poisoned Paranid Start and recieved a Hyperion Vanguard. Now my question is, which weapons are used best.

I thought of ISR in the main, PAC or FBL in the back and HEPT in the front turrets but I fear it might be too energy draining. So I am happy to recieve any hints from the experienced ones as I never flew this ship before.

Thnak you!

Kelvhan

Nazardo
x3tc

Post by Nazardo » Tue, 3. Jan 12, 10:50

Those ISR can drain too much energy. Try using HEPT or, even best, some EBC: you will need ammunition, but you have no cargo space problem.

Further readings:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=267271
Salvation comes with a cost. Judge us not by our means, but by what we seek to accomplish.
Screenshots

Kelvhan Amaratharr
x3tc

Post by Kelvhan Amaratharr » Tue, 3. Jan 12, 11:33

Ah I see. As many opinions as members on the board! :P

I will try some different setups and look which one works best for me. It will be a thrilling experience anyways, leaving my 1.4 billion credits game with over 500 ships and to start anew with five ships ships and five explored sectors and only 14 million credits at hand. BTW my Hyperion has a different speed than mentioned mostly: 209 m/s instead of 169 m/s, is that normal?

garv222

Post by garv222 » Tue, 3. Jan 12, 11:42

Kelvhan Amaratharr wrote:Ah I see. As many opinions as members on the board! :P

I will try some different setups and look which one works best for me. It will be a thrilling experience anyways, leaving my 1.4 billion credits game with over 500 ships and to start anew with five ships ships and five explored sectors and only 14 million credits at hand. BTW my Hyperion has a different speed than mentioned mostly: 209 m/s instead of 169 m/s, is that normal?
Upon completing the poisoned paranid plot, you will get a randomly tuned hyperion. It can have below the 169 m/s, or can have as much as 250 m/s. The upgrades will be random. Typically it tends to balance out with other upgrades you receive like better weapons/marines equipment installed in my experience. The rudder can also be over tuned but most people go for the speed.
Duke's Buccaneers... I hate you so much... I am sooo demolishing your HQ when our business is finished....

Kelvhan Amaratharr
x3tc

Post by Kelvhan Amaratharr » Tue, 3. Jan 12, 12:33

Oh, that is interesting.

I tried to reload an now I have a Hyperion Vanguard with 230 m/s. Funny thing is, that one always gets brain tickled to reload again! It could be faster! :D

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Tue, 3. Jan 12, 17:29

Firstly, avoid FBLs. They're totally ineffective. The back turrets should be PACs unless you want the missile-whacking abilities of IREs.

The corvette-class weapons are a little odd (CIGs, ISRs and IPGs).

They are only half as energy efficient as HEPTs & PRGs etc but they can have a much bigger pool of energy, 5000Mj each instead of 1800Mj for the HEPT (and 1000Mj for the PRG).

So if you're only mounting four weapons up front for your main configuration then CIGs would keep firing 50% longer than HEPTs.

(HEPTs use 188MW and have 1800Mj reserves so can fire for 9.6 seconds before running out, CIGs use 307MW and have 5000Mj reserves so can fire for 16.2 seconds before running out).

The odd thing is, is that corvettes generally can't support that many corvette-class weapons. For example the Hyperion has a laser energy of 25,000Mj so if you mount 8 CIGs they only get 3125Mj each and only fire for a similar amount of time to 8x HEPTs (ISRs are even less efficient).

Then add the turrets, and the lower efficiency of the CIGs mean they end up doing less damage in that scenario.

Of course, you do get the 3.5km range vs. the 2.5km range and the concussion effect (spin fighters around).

It's a balancing act basically. If you want to fit HEPTs on the front turrets and 8 weapons in the main slot then I'd go for HEPTs, but if you're considering EBCs on the turrets or fitting fewer than 8 main weapons on the front (for example, a few PBEs for capturing in a second group) then it's worth considering CIGs/ISRs.

On ISRs specifically, they don't compare that well to CIGs stats-wise, being less efficiency and their weapon energy draining effect being weak. However, they've got a much higher rate of fire and travel slightly faster so you may find them nicer to use.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

Callidus Thorn
x3tc

Post by Callidus Thorn » Tue, 3. Jan 12, 20:15

I always use the same setup for my Hyperion Vanguard: EC in the main guns and forward turrets, PACs in the rear turrets. Add in a few hundred crates of EBC ammo and a selection of missiles, and you're good to go blow up, well, anything really.

DGBowman
x4

Post by DGBowman » Tue, 3. Jan 12, 20:31

EBCs in the front, HEPTs left and right and PACs at the back.

In Reunion I used MDs at the front (EBCs didn't exist then). Couldn't really take out M2s that easily, but fighters didn't last too long.

deca.death
x3tc

Post by deca.death » Tue, 3. Jan 12, 20:50

NeverSnake wrote: They are only half as energy efficient as HEPTs & PRGs etc but they can have a much bigger pool of energy, 5000Mj each instead of 1800Mj for the HEPT (and 1000Mj for the PRG).
AFAIK that pool is supposedly not used - at all.
So if you're only mounting four weapons up front for your main configuration then CIGs would keep firing 50% longer than HEPTs.
Oh that definitely is not the truth. 4 HEPTs would shoot forever afaik. Let me check...

4 CIGs - 41s
4 HEPTs - 196 sec

The odd thing is, is that corvettes generally can't support that many corvette-class weapons. For example the Hyperion has a laser energy of 25,000Mj so if you mount 8 CIGs they only get 3125Mj each and only fire for a similar amount of time to 8x HEPTs (ISRs are even less efficient).
Well that's true. Agamemnom (M7) can mount 8 vette weapons very efficiently though : )

On weaponry of hyperion things are relatively simple:

8 HEPTs one solution, dirty, simple, effective.

some combination like 4 CIGs and 4 PBGs. Bombard from distance, fry from up close. I like this combo but it requires some skills to use efficiently.

For turrets, EBC in nose, PAC on rear.

deca.death
x3tc

Post by deca.death » Tue, 3. Jan 12, 20:52

Callidus Thorn wrote:I always use the same setup for my Hyperion Vanguard: EC in the main guns and forward turrets, PACs in the rear turrets. Add in a few hundred crates of EBC ammo and a selection of missiles, and you're good to go blow up, well, anything really.
I hate that combo. EBC bullet seem so tiny and non appealing, like you shooting some mist from your distant nose. I like them on my mamba vanguard though. And it's not about ammo, you have tons of space, but you are leaving huge weapon generator to waste in vain. Just put 8 HEPTs in nose. It looks better and costs nothing.

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Tue, 3. Jan 12, 21:01

I recommend CIGs and PBGs up front, EBCs in the forward turrets and PACs in the back :D

Bobucles
x3tc

Post by Bobucles » Tue, 3. Jan 12, 21:15

They are only half as energy efficient as HEPTs & PRGs etc but they can have a much bigger pool of energy, 5000Mj each instead of 1800Mj for the HEPT (and 1000Mj for the PRG).
That attribute does nothing. All the energy for weapons is created and stored by the ship.
Oh that definitely is not the truth. 4 HEPTs would shoot forever afaik. Let me check...

4 CIGs - 41s
4 HEPTs - 196 sec
Being able to hold down the trigger a long time is nice. But energy efficiency is the big thing. HEPTs deal much more damage for less energy, the PBG is out of control, and ammo weapons use virtually none. There are some advantages to the CIG, mostly due to the large bullet and easy 1-shot kills, but for the most part you want efficient weapons.

deca.death
x3tc

Post by deca.death » Tue, 3. Jan 12, 21:22

Bobucles wrote:...1-shot kills, but for the most part you want efficient weapons.
Well that's why PBG is there : ) You can lit that torch forever on energy regen alone, and damage output is more then decent. For prolonged fights. On the other hand, you have good range and good stopping power with HEPT. But as I've said, everyone should test and see what "feels" best.

Kelvhan Amaratharr
x3tc

Post by Kelvhan Amaratharr » Wed, 4. Jan 12, 14:52

Well guys and girls, that was interesting reading. I think I will try the different possibilities. At the moment I sport 4 ISR and 4 HEPT in the main, 4 HEPT in the front turret and 6 FBL in the rear turrets. Just because that is all I could find at this time. So far, so good.

Thanks a lot!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”