[X3TC] System Override Software

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Aidyer
x3tc

[X3TC] System Override Software

Post by Aidyer » Mon, 9. Jan 12, 17:01

How do I use it? And are there things I can't use it on?

Kelvhan Amaratharr
x3tc

Post by Kelvhan Amaratharr » Mon, 9. Jan 12, 17:03

You can claim ships without exiting you ship. Alas it is illegal and is best camouflaged with the software signature scrambler obtainable at Duke's Haven.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 9. Jan 12, 17:06

Get your ship fitted with the sos close enough to a bailed/abandoned fighter/TS/TP/M8 and 'Claim Ship' should appear in the Target menu and you don't need to spacewalk to claim it. That is all it does. Be aware that the sos is generally illegal to carry in most race sectors unless you also have the Software Signature Scrambler system fitted as well.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

SirDarius
x3tc

Post by SirDarius » Mon, 9. Jan 12, 17:29

Oddly enough, the "claim" option didn't appear for me in a "retrieve abandoned ship" mission, even though my player ship was properly equipped, and I was like 200m away from the abandoned ship...

is there something that keeps the System Override Software to work in missions, or was it just a random bug ?

kylania
x4

Post by kylania » Mon, 9. Jan 12, 17:45

You usually have to be within 30 meters or so to claim some ships before it lights up.

SirDarius
x3tc

Post by SirDarius » Mon, 9. Jan 12, 17:48

I'll try again then, thanks.

Back then, it seemed a little bit of a bad idea to approach an M5 that close, in a Panther :D

JAFA_NZ
x3tc

Post by JAFA_NZ » Mon, 9. Jan 12, 17:51

With Systen Override Software you have to approach to the approximately the same distance as if you were spacewalking (I believe allowances are made for the size of the Playership though), so aim for the middle fly closer until "claim" ceases to be grayed out.

The big advantage to using SOS is that your ship will usually go significantly faster than your spacesuit.

The lesser advantage is that you don't then have to fly back into embarkation range of your geared up ship to go anywhere.

Zippo342
x3tc

Post by Zippo342 » Mon, 9. Jan 12, 18:00

JAFA_NZ wrote:With Systen Override Software you have to approach to the approximately the same distance as if you were spacewalking (I believe allowances are made for the size of the Playership though), so aim for the middle fly closer until "claim" ceases to be grayed out.

The big advantage to using SOS is that your ship will usually go significantly faster than your spacesuit.

The lesser advantage is that you don't then have to fly back into embarkation range of your geared up ship to go anywhere.
The lesser advantage is no advantage really if you have a teleporter :)

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Mon, 9. Jan 12, 19:32

I think it would be better if sos had atleast 500m range its not like it is a game breaking OP thing

Sir Warwick
x4

Post by Sir Warwick » Mon, 9. Jan 12, 23:34

Egosoft dont like you doing anything that doesnt involve lots of messing about ;)

Vim Razz
x4

Post by Vim Razz » Mon, 9. Jan 12, 23:58

Zippo342 wrote:
JAFA_NZ wrote:The lesser advantage is that you don't then have to fly back into embarkation range of your geared up ship to go anywhere.
It depends on what kind of game you're playing. Police M5s with IREs may not be much of an issue in your fighting ship, but they're lethal in a space suit and can close in on you very quickly.

If you're trying to get your target out before that local capital patrol gets to you, you might not have time to kill them off ahead of making the claim.
Jumee wrote:I think it would be better if sos had atleast 500m range its not like it is a game breaking OP thing
Try using SOS from an M7 (or bigger! TL/M2/M1) and see how close you need to be.

You only need spacewalk range if you're using it from a fighter.

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Tue, 10. Jan 12, 00:28

Vim Razz wrote:
Zippo342 wrote:
JAFA_NZ wrote:The lesser advantage is that you don't then have to fly back into embarkation range of your geared up ship to go anywhere.
It depends on what kind of game you're playing. Police M5s with IREs may not be much of an issue in your fighting ship, but they're lethal in a space suit and can close in on you very quickly.

If you're trying to get your target out before that local capital patrol gets to you, you might not have time to kill them off ahead of making the claim.
Jumee wrote:I think it would be better if sos had atleast 500m range its not like it is a game breaking OP thing
Try using SOS from an M7 (or bigger! TL/M2/M1) and see how close you need to be.

You only need spacewalk range if you're using it from a fighter.
I really only bother capping when Im in M5-M3 category after I get a better ship that 1-2 million max I can get out of them is too insignificant

Freeholder
x4

Post by Freeholder » Tue, 10. Jan 12, 00:31

Since spacewalking is required to operate a repair laser, I feel the override software's utility is overrated.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Tue, 10. Jan 12, 01:13

Freeholder wrote:Since spacewalking is required to operate a repair laser, I feel the override software's utility is overrated.
It is priceless when you have to snatch abandoned fighters from a hostile environment such as Kha'ak or Xenon sector. Or even before your friendly M8 nukes your recently bailed L in AP:)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”