Will stations built inside asteroids pose problems?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Rakeris
x4

Will stations built inside asteroids pose problems?

Post by Rakeris » Tue, 10. Jan 12, 02:56

I used the Hephaistos Corp. Station Building Service with the bonus pack in AP and it build all my stations inside a rather large asteroid that is a silicon mine. They seems to be find in there atm, but I was wondering if they might just like randomly blow up or something... don't know if anyone has seen any problems with that happening before.

Pruvmerong
x4

Post by Pruvmerong » Tue, 10. Jan 12, 04:42

Screenshot, please.

Rakeris
x4

Post by Rakeris » Tue, 10. Jan 12, 05:00

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Tue, 10. Jan 12, 05:13

Fly close to this structure and listen for that scratching sound stations make when they connect. If you don't hear it, you should be fine. I think they fixed it so that connected complexes don't blow up even if some of their stations overlap. In reunion it used to be an issue.

Vyrebird
x4

Post by Vyrebird » Tue, 10. Jan 12, 13:46

kurush wrote:Fly close to this structure and listen for that scratching sound stations make when they connect. If you don't hear it, you should be fine. I think they fixed it so that connected complexes don't blow up even if some of their stations overlap. In reunion it used to be an issue.
Aye, stations in a complex will not take collision damage from other stations in the complex. That lead to some people plopping entire megaplexes in one spot, and just racing to get them all complexed together before they rubbed each other to pieces.

Since asteroids are 'hollow', stations entirely inside the asteroid would be fine, so long as the asteroid never moved (ie tractoring it would be a bad idea :p ). The points of concern would be those in contact with the surface, since they should 'rub' and slowly take damage. You can either just accept it and complex them together (and hope the complex hub never gets destroyed), or reload an earlier save / accept the overlapping stations as lost. In TC at least, the actual rate of station-on-station damage was usually either catastrophically fast (dead in a second or two), or very minor (maybe downed to 99% shields after a couple minutes). The minor damage only really mattered when you had many stations overlapping at once - 50 stations simultaneously damaging each other is a bit more of an issue, even if it's small 1-on-1.

If you were intending to complex them anyway, I'd suggest simply doing that and then largely ignoring the issue. It'd only matter if that complex hub was ever destroyed, and even then, the stations would only take damage as fast as they are now, and only when you're in-system, so you'd likely have ample time to fix the issue.

swatti
x4

Post by swatti » Tue, 10. Jan 12, 15:55

Personaly i hate the tentacle'ish complexes, eventually ships start crashing into them too. One of my stations was built inside an asteroid, i just connected the two with a complex kit and it works like a charm. Even looks nice.

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Tue, 10. Jan 12, 15:58

it looks like aldrin bases :D

Rakeris
x4

Post by Rakeris » Tue, 10. Jan 12, 16:46

Cool thanks guys. I didn't notice the stations taking any dmg before I complexed them. But maybe it was just slow and I missed it.

Viivrabe
x3tc

Post by Viivrabe » Tue, 10. Jan 12, 23:18

can you put stations inside asteroids in the vanilla game?

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Wed, 11. Jan 12, 08:22

It has been known.

Just make sure you complex hub is not inside too.

For help in purposely building stations in exactly the same spot as another, see page 13 of my tutorial in my sig.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”