Joystick MSFF2 or mouse?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ReadyMan
x3ap

Joystick MSFF2 or mouse?

Post by ReadyMan » Thu, 12. Jan 12, 22:05

I have a pretty good joystick (MS sidewinder FF2), but it seems that the mouse does quite well also (I have a G9 mouse, with tilting scroll wheel, and two thumb buttons).

Which seems to work best? I think I might actually have more exact control with the mouse, but the joystick has more buttons.

If you think the MSFF2 is the better option, what would you recommend for the 4 base buttons which are not assigned to anything yet (there is a missile button, and 2 buttons assigned to next/previous target by the hat switch).

Thanks!

RM

robbyroy
x2

Post by robbyroy » Thu, 12. Jan 12, 22:19

I have the sidwinder force feed back 2 and I use One of the base buttons for auto docking, 2 of the others are used for addons. I have always played all the X series with this same joy stick. I like having the throttlle and the roll from twisting the joy stick. I have remapped some of the other buttons to personal prefference.

empiro
x3tc

Post by empiro » Thu, 12. Jan 12, 22:30

Target nearest enemy is always a good one. I don't really use many buttons on my joystick though. They're really just all combat commands. For normal flying, I just use the keyboard so that I can quickly navigate around.

Ripskar
x3ap

Post by Ripskar » Sat, 14. Jan 12, 12:42

I use a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, I have strafe drives, turbo extension, turbo boost, jump drive and a couple of weapon configurations mapped to the joystick buttons, I have one spare button which take the UFJD when we get it.
The real question is whether or not to have the keyboard ceiling mounted.
Do you miss dangerous pirates?
Try leading the target a little more...

ImageCobra Mk. III Cmdr.

Legionos
x3tc

Post by Legionos » Sat, 14. Jan 12, 13:27

Ripskar wrote:I use a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, I have strafe drives, turbo extension, turbo boost, jump drive and a couple of weapon configurations mapped to the joystick buttons, I have one spare button which take the UFJD when we get it.
The real question is whether or not to have the keyboard ceiling mounted.
lol

Ripskar
x3ap

Post by Ripskar » Sat, 14. Jan 12, 14:05

Of course if you are going to go with that set-up you might want a programmable keyboard like This which plugs into a USB port, so doesn't displace your standard QWERTY keyboard.
Do you miss dangerous pirates?
Try leading the target a little more...

ImageCobra Mk. III Cmdr.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”