[AP] Non-removeable IRE on Adv Disco (and other gripes) AT LEAST 1 SPOILER

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

em3e3
x3tc

[AP] Non-removeable IRE on Adv Disco (and other gripes) AT LEAST 1 SPOILER

Post by em3e3 » Fri, 13. Jan 12, 20:54

I tried removing the four IREs mounted on the Advanced Discoverer given as a plot reward within the Argon Peacekeeper start. However, they never showed up within the freight window, even after un-mounting them. Fortunately, they didn't disappear, and I was able to remount them, as long as I didn't have other weapons available in the ship cargo.

This caused me to have yet another 'this crap doesn't make any sense" realization. If you don't want to ruin your suspension of (dis)belief of the series, don't read any further. I'm not complaining about things that don't work - I'm complaining about physical things that don't make sense:

1. Why does a weapon, when clearly and visibly mounted *outside* your ship, take up space in the cargo hold?
2. How is swapping weapons even possible without a transporter device?
3. How does 800 units of Meatsteaks Cahoona fit in a floating crate - smaller than any ship in the game - just after being ejected from a ship where it consumed the entire cargo hold?
4. How do they even get inside the crate?
5. How is it even feasible to carry arbitrary amounts of passengers and freight in a TP - or any ship for that matter?
6. How many people do you know that would even ride in a passenger transport alongside missiles of mass destruction?
7. If a ship can pass through a jumpgate, why not missiles?
8. If there is a reason why launched missiles can't pass through jumpgates, then why should they pass through while in the cargo hold of a ship?
9. Shouldn't it actually take time to add cargo, rudder, or speed tunings?
10. How is it possible that everything in the game takes time to make, except ships and factories?
11. I don't even want to get started on the ridiculous ship size versus cargo hold.
8^)

Online Complex Calculators - X3:TC • X3:R • X2
Online Ship Compurator - X3:TC

NeverSnake
x3tc

Re: [AP] Non-removeable IRE on Adv Disco (and other gripes) AT LEAST 1 SPOILER

Post by NeverSnake » Fri, 13. Jan 12, 21:10

1. A weapon isn't just the barrel that's mounted on the outside. It'll have plasma/ammunition feeders, accumulators, control computers, cooling systems and so on, which make up the majority of it's bulk and stay inside the hull so actually fitting it doesn't make much difference to how much space it takes up.

2. Weapon groups only swap which weapons are activated, and big ship weapon swapping relies on crew/robots.

4. Uh, it opens up?

5. Why not? It's no different from a warehouse or any other building.

6. Anyone serving on a navy ship.

7 & 8. Because they're advanced technology and can tell missiles and drones from (semi-)sentient ships.

9. You can add dozens more horsepower to a car in five seconds by reprogramming the ECU so why not?

10. You buy already built and stored ships/factories rather than commissioning them.

11. There are lots of other things in a ship and you've got the sub-space compression technology as well as mere physical size so it's easy to see that a physically smaller ship may have more of it's space dedicated to store and more efficient compression resulting in a large cargo bay.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Fri, 13. Jan 12, 21:20

em3e3 wrote:I tried removing the four IREs mounted on the Advanced Discoverer given as a plot reward within the Argon Peacekeeper start. However, they never showed up within the freight window, even after un-mounting them. Fortunately, they didn't disappear, and I was able to remount them, as long as I didn't have other weapons available in the ship cargo.

This caused me to have yet another 'this crap doesn't make any sense" realization. If you don't want to ruin your suspension of (dis)belief of the series, don't read any further. I'm not complaining about things that don't work - I'm complaining about physical things that don't make sense:

1. Why does a weapon, when clearly and visibly mounted *outside* your ship, take up space in the cargo hold?
3. How does 800 units of Meatsteaks Cahoona fit in a floating crate - smaller than any ship in the game - just after being ejected from a ship where it consumed the entire cargo hold?
5. How is it even feasible to carry arbitrary amounts of passengers and freight in a TP - or any ship for that matter?
6. How many people do you know that would even ride in a passenger transport alongside missiles of mass destruction?
8. If there is a reason why launched missiles can't pass through jumpgates, then why should they pass through while in the cargo hold of a ship?
10. How is it possible that everything in the game takes time to make, except ships and factories?
11. I don't even want to get started on the ridiculous ship size versus cargo hold.
1) the space is reserved for the gun :P (in case you will want to switch it or something)

2) the first weapon moves into the cargohold the other slides out :P

3) would you want game to actually display 800 steaks floating in space?

4) the same as 3 (oh and why in Civ games is any man bigger than the city ;) )

5) you dont have to tell them to sit on the missile crate you know :D maybe cargo hold is divided into small areas that can be used for anything

6) goes to 5

7) because it would be hard to program I guess also the behavior of a missile when it is on the other (missiles dont work OOS the same way they work IS) and if you are asking why it does not follow a ship that just went through the gate - than probably because it follows emissions of a sort that disappear when ship went through the gate

8.) same as 7 really

9) it should but hey people dont want to sit in the same spot for several hours while their ship is getting "pimped", realism has to be sacrificed for fun sometimes

10) same as 9

11) well since they have cargo compression systems you could assume that some ships have efficient compression some dont so AtmoLifter being a terran ship has a really good compression technology and Albatross being a teladi flying junkyard has inefficient cargo compression. And regarding S/M/L/XL thing than, oh well, assume the cargo space it takes to be the goods volume and size requirement its weight (not that it would matter much)

P.S: why does everyone expect a perfect simulation from this game? when someone casts a fireball in an RPG no one says "hey!! wtf!! you cant cast fireball it is impossible!!" :D

EDIT: 1,2,6,7 and 8 described better by NeverSnake :D

EDIT 2: actually it is all better explained by NeverSnake :lol:

Legionos
x3tc

Post by Legionos » Sat, 14. Jan 12, 01:55

em3e3 wrote: 10. How is it possible that everything in the game takes time to make, except ships and factories?
this changes in X-Rebirth, at least for stations anyway.

salking
x4

Post by salking » Sat, 14. Jan 12, 02:25

em3e3 wrote:10. How is it possible that everything in the game takes time to make, except ships and factories?
When you get your HQ in TC and soon (i hope) in AP, you can make your own ships that take time depending on size, from a few minutes for M5 to several days for M2 and M1, not to mention the raw materials needed.

Sometimes I'm glad that i can buy a certain ship without having to coordinate all that, but that's just me.

Oh and on the main topic, i haven't tried removing them yet.
might check it as soon as the new patch comes :P

Saber15
x4

Post by Saber15 » Sat, 14. Jan 12, 02:50

em3e3 wrote: 1. Why does a weapon, when clearly and visibly mounted *outside* your ship, take up space in the cargo hold?
I always assumed that the ships had robotic arms, like the Space Shuttle, but miniaturized and much, much more nimble. When switch yer guns, the arms fold out from compartments, disconnect the gun and its ammo/energy feed, throw it in the cargo hold, pull up the new gun, snap it into place, hook up the ammo/energy feed, and fold back up. :P

Anyways, I'd figure that most space ships would in reality have the guns built into the hull rather than bolted onto the exterior. Exterior weapon mounts are just much more interesting to look at, which is probably why it's done like that in the X-universe games. The Boron Barracuda and IIRC the other Boron fighters and the Hydra have internally mounted weapons.

Seon
x4

Post by Seon » Sat, 14. Jan 12, 03:51

The answer to all of these questions: Wizards.

But seriously, I think most of it is just to make the gameplay more fun. Though I would like to see stations take time to build. I'd love to just fly around, doing trading and stuff, and seeing the station grow bigger each time I pass through.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 14. Jan 12, 06:42

em3e3 wrote:1. Why does a weapon, when clearly and visibly mounted *outside* your ship, take up space in the cargo hold?
You have to have additional space for the authorization paperwork and warranty tags issued with each armament. What do you think sector police are scanning you for, space-weed? Plus, you need room for at least four Gnome Gunner's Mates that come packed in the box with the weapon.
Gnome Gunner's Mates.
The Gnome Universal Transport and Storage Container (External) is famed for its ability to generate a extra-dimensional pockets, effectively increasing available storage space within the container by an order of magnitude. Due to an incompatibility with other forms of matter, the GUTSC (External) becomes unstable when contacting normal matter with the outside surface. That's why you'll never find a GUTSC in your hold, only what it used to contain. Oh, and a Gnome. One General Purpose Mk 1 Gnome comes complimentary, with each GUTSC product. (Exclusively available at Mork Co Equipment Docks.)
Upon ejection, the Mk1 General Purpose Gnome constructs a GUTSC container. It's part of the warranty package that it comes with. (You really should read Mork Co's product literature more closely.)
Since the Great Meatsteak Cahoona Disaster of 3150, in order to avoid the all-too-common problem of mistaking passengers for food products, all TP ships and all ships that install Cargo Life Support Software, come with Gnome Pursers, who's duty it is to keep passenger and cargo separate. (Quite a coup, I may add, for Mork Co Industries and their Government Services and Regulatory Compliance marketing department.)
Split won't tip you unless you give them boarding favors to play with on the trip.
Conventional missiles can not fit Jump Drives and would also require large transponder packages that helped coordinate the jump drive's settings with the Jump Gate's traffic flow. Also, by convention, the use of Jump Missiles is viewed as an act so distasteful and terrible that any race choosing to do so would be set upon by all sentient species. (Mork Co is working diligently to reduce the contempt for such weapons across the Commonwealth and Terran Space in order to market its new "You have mail!" Thunderstrike BBQ Mk 1 (Alpha) missile program to a worthy investor.)
Cargo holds are not Jump Gates. The manual for your ship is located in the glove compartment.
Gnome Technical Services (A division of Mork Co Industries) has secured most of the dockside upgrade services within the Commonwealth and Terran space. In order to be assured of prompt upgrades and satisfactory work, always dock at equipment docks that only use Gnome Technical Services!
Ships and Factories are stored in classified GUTSC (Internal) containers, only available through government or industrial contract. Apply to Mork Co Industries - Security Division for more information. While it looks like they are created instantly, it's actually only because they have recently been unpacked. Besides, you didn't think an equipment dock stored an almost infinite number of equipment docks, did you?
Cargo holds have doors... In other words, it's not a factor of simple mass, but what is called the freight's "Cube" that matters. Density is the issue and physical dimensions dictate what can fit within a particular cargo hold. Some ships also have internal supports spaced throughout their cargo holds that limit the physical size and packaging of the items they can carry.

Vim Razz
x4

Post by Vim Razz » Sat, 14. Jan 12, 06:55

Gnomes... Of course...

It all makes so much more sense to me, now.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”