Split Drake. What does drake mean?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Asby
x4

Split Drake. What does drake mean?

Post by Asby » Sat, 14. Jan 12, 10:04

I need translate "drake". Usually it means a male duck , but may be developers had in their mind something kind of dragon?

ps. sorry for stupid theme
Last edited by Asby on Sat, 14. Jan 12, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.

Zaitsev
x4

Post by Zaitsev » Sat, 14. Jan 12, 10:14

Drake - Old english draca < latin draco: dragon.

So yeah, I'd say it's pretty safe to assume they meant dragon. Either that or a small 17th century cannon.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D

DiDs:
Eye of the storm Completed
Eye of the storm - book 2 Inactive
Black Sun - Completed
Endgame - Completed

Asby
x4

Post by Asby » Sat, 14. Jan 12, 11:35

All the same dragon. But there is M6 split dragon one already. Probably be difficult to translate this word in Russian because not difference between a dragon and a drake.

dougeye
x3tc

Post by dougeye » Sat, 14. Jan 12, 11:39

drake is a varient of dragon in fantasy lore even if the translation does mean the same thing. for example dragons, drakes, wvyerns. Im hhoping for a teladi meerkat in rebirth.
I used to list PC parts here, but "the best" will suffice!

thyco
x4

Post by thyco » Sat, 14. Jan 12, 11:57

Depending on the fantasy setting a Drake can be classed as an Adult Dragon ( like in warcraft) with a young dragon being called a Whelp

Megalos

Post by Megalos » Sat, 14. Jan 12, 12:28

Or a drake is a male duck.

autCyrius
x3tc

Post by autCyrius » Sat, 14. Jan 12, 12:39

I play X3 in german and thus the "correct" translation would be dragon, for it is "drache" in german. No idea though why they didnt it just call dragon instead of drake

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Sat, 14. Jan 12, 12:42

autCyrius wrote:I play X3 in german and thus the "correct" translation would be dragon, for it is "drache" in german. No idea though why they didnt it just call dragon instead of drake
there is already a split corvette named dragon

Sirin111

Post by Sirin111 » Sat, 14. Jan 12, 13:38

Google "fantasy drake". Male duck LOL

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Sat, 14. Jan 12, 14:14

thyco wrote:Depending on the fantasy setting a Drake can be classed as an Adult Dragon ( like in warcraft) with a young dragon being called a Whelp
There's no consistency there though, for example in D&D a drake is a dragon-like creature smaller than a true dragon.

I believe the original german name for it is the Split Waran which seems to translate as monitor lizard (the genus containing large lizards like the komodo dragon) so you could perhaps base your translation off that instead if Drake is proving troublesome.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

Asby
x4

Post by Asby » Sat, 14. Jan 12, 14:46

I think, I could orienting on lizards in my russian translation. In the official russian translation this ship has been translated as a male duck. I can see now that was a mistake. Thanks all.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 14. Jan 12, 14:53

Perhaps the Split Drake is meant to repel a Boron Armada.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Shootist
x4

Post by Shootist » Sat, 14. Jan 12, 15:37

thyco wrote:Depending on the fantasy setting a Drake can be classed as an Adult Dragon ( like in warcraft) with a young dragon being called a Whelp
As a long retired dungeon master (1979) I can tell you that a drake is a young male dragon, usually red. Smaug, for instance, is not a drake, but a great and mighty Würm.

And Phipps! That was terrible. So, the Split are English now? With their little tiny ships waiting for a great ion storm? HA! :lol:

Captain Chris sTc
x4

Post by Captain Chris sTc » Sat, 14. Jan 12, 16:18

http://encyclopedia.ermarian.net/wiki/Lizards
Its between a dragon and a lizard.
Going on the other ships are reptile like creaturers.

Xander Cade
x3tc

Post by Xander Cade » Sat, 14. Jan 12, 17:05

You mean their other ships named after reptiles... like the Elephant, Tiger, Panther, Jaguar, Ocelot and Scorpion?

To be fair, we should be going with the male duck version. While all the races have a theme to their ship names, all but the Boron have been stealing names from each other for years. The Split have already stolen a ship name from the Argon (Chimera), so why not the Teladi as well? There is arguably a precedent for this in that a Raptor is a type of bird of prey.

Monitor lizards are known as Goannas in Australia.
"What he doesn't understand is that the Welsh are a subject people, put on Earth to do menial tasks for the English." - John Cleese

Zippo342
x3tc

Post by Zippo342 » Sat, 14. Jan 12, 17:31

All of you have fantasies about male ducks, what a bunch of furries :lol:

Anyways, split attack vessels tend to be named after carnivores, rather than herbivores. While a duck is such, it really doesn't sound like one. Personally if I encountered a ship named "Male Duck" I would expect an easy fight.

Perhaps that's what they want; to have players underestimate it.
Streaming most nights 1800-0000ish at www.twitch.tv/chthonicone/

Vyrebird
x4

Post by Vyrebird » Sat, 14. Jan 12, 17:51

Zippo342 wrote:<snip>Personally if I encountered a ship named "Male Duck" I would expect an easy fight.

It is a TS, after all :p.

Plus, 'male duck' would feel thematically similar (imo) to the other Split TS, the caiman, a crocodile subfamily. "Crocodile" and "lesser dragon" would seem a bit more mismatched, though I can see some logic to feeling the other way around - the new TS is far fiercer and more combat-worthy than the old one.

Zippo342
x3tc

Post by Zippo342 » Sat, 14. Jan 12, 17:55

Vyrebird wrote:
Zippo342 wrote:<snip>Personally if I encountered a ship named "Male Duck" I would expect an easy fight.

It is a TS, after all :p.

Plus, 'male duck' would feel thematically similar (imo) to the other Split TS, the caiman, a crocodile subfamily. "Crocodile" and "lesser dragon" would seem a bit more mismatched, though I can see some logic to feeling the other way around - the new TS is far fiercer and more combat-worthy than the old one.
Chock this up to me being tired. You are probably talking about AP here... I thought this was TC and that was some larger ship I wasn't familiar with for some reason. XD

Xander Cade
x3tc

Post by Xander Cade » Sat, 14. Jan 12, 18:08

Zippo342 wrote:All of you have fantasies about male ducks, what a bunch of furries :lol:

Anyways, split attack vessels tend to be named after carnivores, rather than herbivores. While a duck is such, it really doesn't sound like one. Personally if I encountered a ship named "Male Duck" I would expect an easy fight.

I think that's what the Boron are going for with their new M7. Amongst all the Rays, Whales and Sharks their new secret weapon is... the Guppy!

Since that name is so very wrong, and the ship is currently missing, I feel compelled to provide a link.
"What he doesn't understand is that the Welsh are a subject people, put on Earth to do menial tasks for the English." - John Cleese

Zippo342
x3tc

Post by Zippo342 » Sat, 14. Jan 12, 18:13

Xander Cade wrote:
Zippo342 wrote:All of you have fantasies about male ducks, what a bunch of furries :lol:

I think that's what the Boron are going for with their new M7. Amongst all the Rays, Whales and Sharks their new secret weapon is... the Guppy!

Since that name is so very wrong, and the ship is currently missing, I feel compelled to provide a link.
Yeah, I'm surprised they don't have a Boron Beta. Those things are mean.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”