Is it true that there is no explaination in AP why they have blown up the Torus?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Boringnick
x3tc

Is it true that there is no explaination in AP why they have blown up the Torus?

Post by Boringnick » Sun, 15. Jan 12, 03:46

Not on AP yet, but I've read here that there is no explaination in the game whatsoever why the Kho destroyed the Torus.

Is that true?

Saber15
x4

Post by Saber15 » Sun, 15. Jan 12, 03:55

Yep, no explanation. The Torus isn't even mentioned AFAIK, though you can go to Earth and see the wreckage.

The only explanation is in the X-Encyclopedia, which can be downloaded from EGOSOFT's website here.

Boringnick
x3tc

Post by Boringnick » Sun, 15. Jan 12, 04:04

Oh wow. I thought there was at least an entry in the encyclopedia why she did that, or some infobox at the start. Really nothing?!

I don't get Egosoft here. The X3 Reunion plot was quite bad in my opinion, but XTC was a considerable improvement.

Why again such a letdown? Not explaining why the war started is beyond lazy.

Egosoft is really odd regarding this. The text descriptions of the systems, ships, weapons, corporations etc. are extremely detailed, but it feels as if many of the plot texts get less care and thought than an average forum post here.

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Sun, 15. Jan 12, 04:18

they did sort of explain it, I mean during TC plots Terrans have open military condlict with commonwealth atleast 2: with split - who were working on Xenon and paranid - during Aldrin missions. Than during BoP plot Terrans catch CW in general and Argon Secret Service in particular trying to steal ATF ship blueprints. This is already enough of a reason to start a war. And in X-encylopedia they add that Terran also send their fleet to deal with Xenon threat in CW territory Argon dont like that so they start working with Beryl who is in contact with Winters (remember that dude in a Deca in Aldrin?) and this whole bunch creates millions of terraformer drones and sends them to attack Solar System and well than Elena Kho lures them into black hole. After that terran fleets attack argon. Oh and Torus is blown up by Saya because she is afraid that Terran are too strong and will defeat CW and because Torus is last line of Earth's defense.

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Sun, 15. Jan 12, 06:20

Boringnick wrote:Oh wow. I thought there was at least an entry in the encyclopedia why she did that, or some infobox at the start. Really nothing?!

I don't get Egosoft here. The X3 Reunion plot was quite bad in my opinion, but XTC was a considerable improvement.

Why again such a letdown? Not explaining why the war started is beyond lazy.

Egosoft is really odd regarding this. The text descriptions of the systems, ships, weapons, corporations etc. are extremely detailed, but it feels as if many of the plot texts get less care and thought than an average forum post here.
I'm afraid Egosoft aren't and never have been, very good at telling stories in X-games. The plots of all the previous games (with the possible exeption of beyond the frontier) are riddled with inconsistencies, odd happenings and things that just plain don't make sense. It does make for a very unsatisfying gaming experience, especially if like me, story is one of the main reasons for playing a game.

Some of the larger Examples-

X2- Why did the Khaak Kidnap Kyle? Why did they plug him into their supership's command routines? Why did Kyle think finding the AP gunner would help him find Earth? Why did the plot just stop?

X3- Who was that guy in the invisible ship? What were his motivations? Why has he helping the Rebel Goner/ Paranid? Where did he go? Where did the White crystal come from? Why did the jumpgate lead to Earth when noone knows where Earth is? Why did the plot have almost nothing in Common with X2s plot which just sort of stopped midway through?

X3TC- Every single thing about Winters. Where did he come from? Where's he been all this time and how is he still alive? What was he attempting to do anyway? Where did he go?

While Egosoft may well know the reasons and explanations for all this, if none of them make it into the game, then you just end up with a mess. We then get events that happened for no reason other then 'because they did', plot devices that are important, and bad guys who are bad 'because they are'.
mrbadger wrote:Anyway, it's Star Wars, this is important....

Zippo342
x3tc

Post by Zippo342 » Sun, 15. Jan 12, 06:32

Nyax wrote:X3TC- Every single thing about Winters. Where did he come from? Where's he been all this time and how is he still alive? What was he attempting to do anyway? Where did he go?
As for one part, in the Terran Campaign they explain that Winters must have put himself into Suspended Animation. That's all I can tell you, the rest I have no clue about.
Streaming most nights 1800-0000ish at www.twitch.tv/chthonicone/

Lelouch
x3tc

Post by Lelouch » Tue, 17. Jan 12, 16:51

Jumee wrote:Oh and Torus is blown up by Saya because she is afraid that Terran are too strong and will defeat CW and because Torus is last line of Earth's defense.
That reasoning doesn't make any sense at all. Has something important been left out?

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Tue, 17. Jan 12, 16:57

Lelouch wrote:
Jumee wrote:Oh and Torus is blown up by Saya because she is afraid that Terran are too strong and will defeat CW and because Torus is last line of Earth's defense.
That reasoning doesn't make any sense at all. Has something important been left out?
well a sabotage is a sabotage does it need deep philosophical reason? Remember those LT's on Torus? ;)

HydraX
x4

Post by HydraX » Tue, 17. Jan 12, 17:02

Earth torus is HUGE space defense network and shipyard. try in TC but used cheat mode to go "out" of your given space or you will be space dust in short time. its weapons systems were great and i think they had several million towers around whole earth so that xenon/agi could not do any damage to earth.

Lelouch
x3tc

Post by Lelouch » Tue, 17. Jan 12, 17:18

I know the earth torus. But how is destroying a huge _DEFENSE_ installation helping to stall a dominating agressor? It's not like Terrans attack Argons by moving the Earth.

If Earth was reachable via jump gates then it would make sense to relocate some ships to defend it. But against what? Any sufficiently sized fleet must pass through Asteroid belt / Neptune and can be dealt with there. Another terrorist attack is possible, but can't probably be stopped by Tyrs anyway.

Do the jump beacons come into play?

Edit: Since when is Earth Torus a (giant) shipyard? That's new to me, because in X3TC it surely isn't. Destroying shipyards makes sense.

SevenKiller
x3tc

Post by SevenKiller » Tue, 17. Jan 12, 17:27

Jumee wrote:they did sort of explain it, I mean during TC plots Terrans have open military condlict with commonwealth atleast 2: with split - who were working on Xenon and paranid - during Aldrin missions. Than during BoP plot Terrans catch CW in general and Argon Secret Service in particular trying to steal ATF ship blueprints. This is already enough of a reason to start a war. And in X-encylopedia they add that Terran also send their fleet to deal with Xenon threat in CW territory Argon dont like that so they start working with Beryl who is in contact with Winters (remember that dude in a Deca in Aldrin?) and this whole bunch creates millions of terraformer drones and sends them to attack Solar System and well than Elena Kho lures them into black hole. After that terran fleets attack argon. Oh and Torus is blown up by Saya because she is afraid that Terran are too strong and will defeat CW and because Torus is last line of Earth's defense.
All powerful planet defense, destroyed by 1 person :roll: i started playing back in x2 so im not happy they killed her off in a terrorist act. At least her dear mother died well, i just cant side with the argon this time.

Catra

Post by Catra » Tue, 17. Jan 12, 17:28

the torus isnt a functional SY in game.

in lore it buids the ships that the ATF uses, and built most of the ATFs current standing forces.
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Tue, 17. Jan 12, 17:29

Lelouch wrote: Edit: Since when is Earth Torus a (giant) shipyard? That's new to me, because in X3TC it surely isn't. Destroying shipyards makes sense.
I think that every time you click on a terran shipyard it says that all ships used to be produced on Torus but later more shipyards were added, also it is said that Torus has important industrial role.

lt_wentoncha
x4

Post by lt_wentoncha » Sun, 22. Jan 12, 16:42

Visited the Torus, very WTF. But I was surprised about the Earth model, there was no discernable damage I could see. I mean, I would have figured chunks of the Torus would have caused severe ecological damage...

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”