[AP] close support in ISB, viable/usable?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

AshToDust
x3tc

[AP] close support in ISB, viable/usable?

Post by AshToDust » Sun, 15. Jan 12, 17:05

Usualy, I m using my automated ship for trading, remote patrol and such but not for direct action support except some M4 dogfight support.

Just met a pirate bay with two lasertower in my Nova Prototype. It felt like it was a good context to try some heavy action support.

First try : jumping my centaur to me and engaging the lasertower which were 50% hull damage by that time... my centaur went front to front :o and end it down to 38% :D ... ok, you can t expect M6 to go against damaged lasertower, gotcha :D

Second try : I dealt with the lasertowers and brought my M6 to blast the pirate base faster... it went 3 time to it, blasting it pretty nicely... but was a bit short on his last run and ram the station to oblivion :o ... the M6's oblivion of course :lol:

So here is my question... is there a way to use close support efficiently in ISB or should I just kept them to OOSB?

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Sun, 15. Jan 12, 18:42

1) Corvettes aren't a good choice to use against LTs. Although, if you give the corvette a few medium/heavy missiles and CIGs, it can take advantage of the Laser Tower's low turn rate. The guns and missiles should push the LT around and prevent it from landing any shots until it's destroyed.

Otherwise a small group of M3s should be able to take one out; a bunch M4s might do the trick, even.

2) AI ships are rather unwieldy, so if you want to use them IS you must be very particular with which ships you let them use and what orders you give them. It's a lot of effort, though. So most people don't bother.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sun, 15. Jan 12, 19:17

As you noticed, AP lasertowers received a little... redesign. =)
They are quite effective at stopping capital ships but their weakness are small, maneuverable ships and to a degree, missiles.

The terran LT has even more firepower but a lower turning rate.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”