X3 (TC) : Gauss Cannon & EBC Ammunition - Where can I SELL it please?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

zapza

X3 (TC) : Gauss Cannon & EBC Ammunition - Where can I SELL it please?

Post by zapza » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 02:25

Hello again.

The thread title says it all really.

I've got sh*t loads of this stuff from a few of my weaps complexes; problem is so far I can't find anyone who'll take any of it (other than a Military Base in Ceo's Sprite who'll only take a spoonful at a time).

Can this stuff be sold in bulk anywhere, or have I got to use it all up in combat?

Any help would be much appreciated.

(X3 TC vanilla on a Mac - no Mods, Bonus Packs or exploits)

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 02:28

A slight exploit, but one that is really justified in this situation -
Spoiler
Show
Buy a cheap freighter, load it up with all your unused ammo, then sell the freighter, ammo and all, to a shipyard. The game will pay you for whatever equipment or wares are on board ships that are sold to shipyards. You can get rid of it, all at once, this way, if you wish. And, you get paid a little bit for doing it.

zapza

Post by zapza » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 02:51

Well bu**er me with a fish-fork :o

That's a clever little 'work-around'

I'll grab me calculator and mebbe give it a go

Thanks Markonan

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 03:02

zapza wrote:.

..Thanks Markonan

Fish-forks aside, you're quite welcome. :D

But, the thanks should go to Egosoft for allowing such a mechanic to continue. In your case, I wouldn't view it as an exploit because you're not going to get rich off of mass driver ammo and you expended resources in order to produce that ammo.
Spoiler
Show
But, other ways to exploit this feature exist - Specifically, Nividium Mining operations. There are any number of threads on the subject, but they all revolve around the fact that no station will receive more than a handful of very profitable nividium ore... But, a shipyard will pay you for an entire freighter or even a TL full of it. THAT is a definite exploit of vanilla game mechanics. And, by the way, it will ruin one's ability to fully enjoy the game, IMO. It's also not necessary if you build up a good enough economic base. But, if you want the freedom to experiment, the exploit exists and you don't have to run a modded game in order to create billions in wealth..

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 03:08

You will get less for your ship than what you paid for it. The shipyard will not simply buy a ship back from you at the same price they sold it to you. You would take a considerable loss if you just buy a ship and immediately try to sell it back. In this case, you will have to have A LOT of unused ammo in order for this approach to even begin to turn a profit.

It works with Nividium because Nividium is so extraordinarily expensive, and you can load so much in a freighter, that despite taking a loss on the freighter, the extra value in the Nividium more than makes up for it.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 03:22

Alternatively, when asked for a specific type of ship (Bring me, not retrieve) fill that with ammo and get full price for the ship and everything on it.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Aragosnat
x4

Post by Aragosnat » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 08:49

And the moral of the story is. Never build high cost weapon or missile factories. As the npc traders never seem to buy them. IRE's and Misquitoe missiles from what I gathered from reading a lot of other older threads are the only weapons they seem to buy from you. As they are the only two items the EQ's seem to run out of most of the time.

Also another trick dealing with guns and missiles that does not involve selling a ship. Is to go to an EQ dock that does not sell them there and manually sell it to them. More work then getting a free ship and then selling said ship with the goodies you cannot sell off. At least getting a free ship can be fun. :twisted:
Chain Maille Armor
Profitzz
May this spacefly bother you.
[ external image ]
TC: 32+ Squidie (Steam DiD) deaths and counting since around June 18, 2012.

Catra

Post by Catra » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 14:04

the strong arms HQ buys gauss ammo
the military dock in ceos sprite buys EBC ammo
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 14:12

Falcrack wrote:You will get less for your ship than what you paid for it. The shipyard will not simply buy a ship back from you at the same price they sold it to you. You would take a considerable loss if you just buy a ship and immediately try to sell it back. In this case, you will have to have A LOT of unused ammo in order for this approach to even begin to turn a profit.

It works with Nividium because Nividium is so extraordinarily expensive, and you can load so much in a freighter, that despite taking a loss on the freighter, the extra value in the Nividium more than makes up for it.
yeah you get half its value. And that also deducts any demage from the total.

you also only get half the value of anything inside. So you basially selling the nvidium at half the value and taking a loss on the ship (unless ur capping them)

the bigger exploit was that u could do this indefinatly without any effort. At least in AP you have to work to get all that nvidium in the first place

Choublanc
x3tc

Post by Choublanc » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 14:37

Cycrow wrote:you also only get half the value of anything inside. So you basially selling the nvidium at half the value and taking a loss on the ship (unless ur capping them)
Was that changed back in AP?
AFAIK the player received 50% of the average value for the goods inside a ship in X2. In X3R and TC you receive the MINIMUM price, which can be very high for some tech products (98% for a Tractor Beam, for instance).

The problem selling Ammunition inside a ship is the huge cargo space they require (428 cargo space per fab/per hour for Gauss ammo, 163 for EBC ammo).
To get a nice price without boring micromanagment, better choose tech products with low cargo space requirement and high minimum selling price: Tomahawks (18 CS/h, 187k cr/h), EMPC (3 CS/h, 184k cr/h), etc.

All shields, missiles, guns (but not ammo) can also be sold to the ED automatically and endlessly with the "Manual Trade run Trick"
Steam = Game over
NO PASARAN!

zapza

Post by zapza » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 14:42

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

I've done some rough and ready calculations on 'buying' cheap ships and selling them on after filling them up - at best, I'd lose about 25% of total 'face value'. (This was based on a Vulture S filled with Gauss Cannon Ammo).

Even rougher calculations based on cheap TLs seem to suggest that the potential losses are likely to be much higher.

As I've got about 3 Mammoth loads of Gauss Ammo I reckon I'll just keep 'em parked up 'till I eventually make my way to Strong Arm HQ. Either that, or continue to load new Capitals with Gauss Cannon.

In the interim I've ceased production at the Gauss ammo forges and the EBC ammo is being put to good use elsewhere across the fleet.

The initial question came about because although I'm able to manually sell all weaps/missiles at various equipment docks, none of them wanted to take Gauss Ammo.

Even when offered for sale at my own EQs at half price no one came near and a few UTs loaded with a couple of 'crates' couldn't shift them.

Once again, great info and insights - thanks.

Belteshazzar
x3tc

Post by Belteshazzar » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 16:28

Strong Arms only holds like 82 units of the stuff (although traders do seem to buy it up from them) and unfortunately you can't unload ammo into EQ docks like you can lasers and missiles. Sadly your kinda stuck with the stuff unless you want to dump it in space and eat the loss or start using a lot of ammo based weapons in combat.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 16:39

You can set a CLS2 freighter to sell the GC ammo without you having to hang around and do it yourself.

Plus I know the Ianamus Zura EQD will buy some GC ammo.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Catra

Post by Catra » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 16:42

Triaxx2 wrote:You can set a CLS2 freighter to sell the GC ammo without you having to hang around and do it yourself.

Plus I know the Ianamus Zura EQD will buy some GC ammo.
it buys cannons, not ammo
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

zapza

Post by zapza » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 17:09

Thanks again,

unfortunately I don't have the Bonus pack installed as I run the game on a Mac, so no access to CLS etc.

I've got quite a few Capital ships equipped with Gauss so I guess I'll just send 'em off Xenon-bashing

:D

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 17:25

zapza wrote:unfortunately I don't have the Bonus pack installed as I run the game on a Mac, so no access to CLS etc.
[TC] Bonus Pack 4.1 for Mac (finally got it working- here's how)

Hope that helps you too.

MFG

Ketraar

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 17. Jan 12, 01:39

zapza wrote:Thanks again,

unfortunately I don't have the Bonus pack installed as I run the game on a Mac, so no access to CLS etc.

I've got quite a few Capital ships equipped with Gauss so I guess I'll just send 'em off Xenon-bashing

:D

If you can use the Bonus Pack, that's a better solution. That way, you can coordinate things to sell your ammo as it is made or only if it reaches a certain level. You can also get that ammo stored in TL "bunkers" sold to equipment docks that way.

I only offered a "one-shot" solution, to get rid of all your inventory at once. That's what I thought you wanted to do.

But, whatever you do, get that Bonus Pack! The features there are worth whatever Mac hurdles you have to overcome.

zapza

Post by zapza » Wed, 18. Jan 12, 19:57

Thanks Mork.

The Bonus pack sounds interesting and I'm surely going to try it one day soon, but for now I think I'll forge ahead with what I've got.

Manual trading from most of the weaps/missile plexes is a pain but, as up to now I've known no other way, it's tolerable.

Every couple of hours I take about 45 minutes out to sell off my surpluses to the local EQs. If nothing else it's satisfying to see a couple million more credits stack up - then its off to the shipyards to buy more M2s & M7s....

This also help to use up the excess Gauss ammunition.

btw: I did sell on an Orca-load to the yard in Kingdom End - OUCH!!!
I'd rather fire it off at the Xenon than lose that kind of money.

@ Ketraar = thanks for the link to the thread about the Bonus Pack set up for Macs; unfortunately the OP's original link has been removed and the link from him to his Blog doesn't show it either.

Never no mind, thanks all :)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”