[TC] Tractor beam won't fire

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

quintupularity
x4

[TC] Tractor beam won't fire

Post by quintupularity » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 04:19

I've loaded a tractor beam into the turrets of a Mercury and a Magnetar both. Having backed up carefully within a ship's length of my silicon mine, I hop in the turret seat with F1, aim and right click, but the weapon won't shoot from either ship.

Whaddigaddado?

-Q

vr01
x4

Post by vr01 » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 04:22

Not enough weapons energy to fire the tractor beam.

Get another ship... like an M6

quintupularity
x4

Post by quintupularity » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 04:24

Both ships say the weapon can be used in their list of lasers.

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 04:33

quintupularity wrote:Both ships say the weapon can be used in their list of lasers.
they do say that but they cant really use it because they dont have enough energy (that is pretty stupid I know xD )

quintupularity
x4

Post by quintupularity » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 04:55

Blarg! :cry:

Gold Dragon
x3tc

Post by Gold Dragon » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 05:20

It's not stupid, but a Design issue of the interface.

The Tractor Beam takes up the same slot as the Repair Laser and the Mobile Drilling System. That is the utility slot. Note: the Space Suit that you get when you eject from your ship can use the TB & the MDS.

If Egosoft had made it to where the weapons had their own slot on the info pane, the info pane would be wider than the computer screen.

Also, I think but won't swear, that the Caiman Miners can fire the MDS/TB, but getting an M6 or larger ship would likely be better in the long run.
-- GD

quintupularity
x4

Post by quintupularity » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 08:03

Yeh. I saved up and bought a Skirnir. Outfitting it now. The bummer thing is that I've already got two M6 ships which I spent the last couple days gearing up. Only they are Terran and afaik can't use any utility type lasers. So this Skirnir is going to get a bare bones outfit.

What scant few millions I have need investing in infrastructure. Between training up a platoon of marines, building a shield complex and outfitting these M6s--not to mention the hub quest which I just got. Eeeesh.

whiteraider
x3tc

Post by whiteraider » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 09:01

Gold Dragon wrote: Also, I think but won't swear, that the Caiman Miners can fire the MDS/TB, but getting an M6 or larger ship would likely be better in the long run.
Caiman Miner does support the Tractor Beam, but you have to get it to 'lock onto' the target in 2 goes or it's a long wait for a 50% recharge to try again!

This cheapskate tows mines around with a (Caiman) miner :P
Bring back the TS Pirate Ship, I miss my liberated fleet runing around the universe :twisted:
Maybe a fleet of liberated Pirate Ship Super Freighters :roll:

"Priests Dukes Compliments... Here is ship!"
"Teladi now show you how to fight... Ship all yours! Dont kill Teladi!"

Warboss Ethan
x3ap

Post by Warboss Ethan » Mon, 13. Feb 12, 00:24

Can the tractor beam be used by a Mammoth?

MorudethoX

Post by MorudethoX » Mon, 13. Feb 12, 00:44

Yes... Not sure if there is enough energy but I would think so

All compatible ship with Tractor Beam:

http://eng.x3tc.ru/x3_tc_ships/weapon-s ... &weapon=26

Note: Any M6 should do it... Even Terran one

Warboss Ethan
x3ap

Post by Warboss Ethan » Mon, 13. Feb 12, 04:33

I've tried using a Mammoth to tow a mine with a tractor beam but I can't get the thing to fire. Am I missing some kind of ship upgrade needed for towing?

Zaitsev
x4

Post by Zaitsev » Mon, 13. Feb 12, 05:11

Warboss Ethan wrote:I've tried using a Mammoth to tow a mine with a tractor beam but I can't get the thing to fire. Am I missing some kind of ship upgrade needed for towing?
Stupid question, but dit you jump into the turret where you mounted the tractor beam and tried to fire it? Mammoths don't have main guns, so you have to put it in a turret and then jump into the corresponding cockpit and fire it to make it work.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D

DiDs:
Eye of the storm Completed
Eye of the storm - book 2 Inactive
Black Sun - Completed
Endgame - Completed

Warboss Ethan
x3ap

Post by Warboss Ethan » Mon, 13. Feb 12, 06:44

Er... I don't know how to switch to a turret... couldn't find anything helpful in the keybindings lists.

Smart_Bomb
x4

Post by Smart_Bomb » Mon, 13. Feb 12, 06:45

are you making sure you are in the back turret when shooting? tractor beams only work on certian ships out the back turret but I find they work best on a fast M6 like the dragon.
- Please check out & vote on my X4:F expansion idea thread

[ external image ]

quintupularity
x4

Post by quintupularity » Mon, 13. Feb 12, 07:36

since this old thread of mine was resurrected from the dustbin, for the sake of accuracy i feel compelled to mention that the solution i found was to buy the skiron, not the sirokos. newbies take note! i dont even know if the sirokos can fit a tractor beam :D

Warboss Ethan
x3ap

Post by Warboss Ethan » Mon, 13. Feb 12, 07:43

Figured out how to switch to a turret by either cycling through views with F1 or choosing from the context menu at the bottom left of the screen, then backed my Mammoth up to the mine in reverse until I got a green X targeting reticule, then a flashing green/red crosshairs. Once that was in range, I fired the tractor beam and it locked on. Now my Mammoth is towing my mine with a green beam.

whiteraider
x3tc

Post by whiteraider » Mon, 13. Feb 12, 10:27

One of the reasons I still use the miner is that I can dock at the (cheap save) and undock & fly down the docking lane, so I'm in the right position to haul the mine/station by the docking port.
Bring back the TS Pirate Ship, I miss my liberated fleet runing around the universe :twisted:
Maybe a fleet of liberated Pirate Ship Super Freighters :roll:

"Priests Dukes Compliments... Here is ship!"
"Teladi now show you how to fight... Ship all yours! Dont kill Teladi!"

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”