Anyone likes a M1 for a player ship?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RefocusedLight
x4

Anyone likes a M1 for a player ship?

Post by RefocusedLight » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 16:06

Finally finished my M1 project - yay i have a fully outfitted and overtuned Woden. Took me some time building Terran rep from Assassin start and a weapons complex to outfit it - in my game there is only one NPC starburst factory. The first thing i did - drove it right into a Xenon sector. Impressive, with some evasion (the Q approach salvos are very much NOT a good thing) Q's and K's don't even know what hit them. If i don't outright catch like 3 full broadsides, same goes for J. i have all the cargo space in the world and then some. I am used to capital rate fuel consumption before from having a M7 and there is space for 30 fighters - 2 wings of 10 and my personal hangar. Not quite the Panther's 32 :) but i will live. Given after picking up the Pandoras it turns like a slower end M7 and has 157 speed, boosted to 210 under turbo - this wins. Could not be happier.

And it totally helps that it makes me feel like the love child of Triumvir Ilia Volyova and Darth Vader. If i only could have Space Marine style stained glass windows on it....
Can't create imaginary friends, only enemies
/Dresden Codak/

Virtualaughing
x4

Post by Virtualaughing » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 16:24

Sure :D

... but the best ship to use as a carrier is the Elephant :D
Usualy you won't go into Xenon sectors... It can catch up on the enemy...Ion Distruptors for all turrets.... A playership M3 to do the killing...With a good wing docked within the Elephant can make true wonders.... Cargospace for E-cells won't be an issue..... A fast M5 inside for Taxi Missions... ....

2 -3 Player ship for various missions
4 M3 wing for player
4 M3 assign the Elephat as home base
1-2 free slot for captured ships....
X to X3 is MENU SUPERIOR!
I think Egosoft has already worked out our doom, because Xenon AI will reach the stars! :D

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 16:33

Among the actual carriers, I'm a big fan of the Galleon. It's not particularly heavily shielded, but it's pretty tiny for a combat ship and has 6 IBL/PPC mounts left/right so it's got good firepower. And more it's got rear IBL mounts so it can fight even as it's running away. It even manages good flak coverage.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Catra

Post by Catra » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 16:39

the Xenon J has always been the epitome of carriers:

8x PPC L/R/Re(ar)
4 - 6 FAA F/T/B (could hold 8, but you really dont need that many anyway)

and 50 fighters to clear the way to the enemy capitals(and assist in their destruction) so you dont waste energy using FAA.

upgraded to that from my odin.
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 16:42

Catra wrote:the Xenon J has always been the epitome of carriers:
this. the most rewarding boarding operation you can have ;)

still I dont like to manually fly ships that dont have main guns and/or rely on their fighters

ConCorDian
x4

Post by ConCorDian » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 16:51

im with Jumee:
Jumee wrote:I dont like to manually fly ships that dont have main guns and/or rely on their fighters
therefore biggest ship i normally fly myself is an M7. i do like carriers but to me there is no fun to just speed up, slow down, turn right, strafe left... whilst watching your fighters and turrets get all the fun.

most ive ever flown a carrier is i took my own personal M3 into one and jumped it into Mercs Rift but as soon as i came up against the pirate ships i jumped out with the fighters in my own M3 to do the fighting.

they are very powerful ships when used properly, and a must in AP for a fleet war IMO but for me they just aint a player ship

Sinxar
x4

Post by Sinxar » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 17:32

Ive been trying the M1 class myself. My results agree with the "its not a good player ship". I really tried to like it but its just too big and slow with light shielding to really stand up to capitals. I'm not saying its impossible, just that it appears not to be meant for that.

I haven't tried the ATF ones yet so I may be surprised when I get one.

I just did a plot mission and it was raining capitals with tons of bombers and fighters. I used an M2 to kill the capitals with my Shark in the rear and set 2 wings to attack target nearest my M2 and a wing to defend the M1. In this situation it seemed to really shine as an epic support ship. The fighters killed all the small stuff while I took out the capitals. anything that got through was eaten by the Sharks' flak and defense wing.

RefocusedLight
x4

Post by RefocusedLight » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 17:38

I haven't managed to capture a J ever - so can't say. So for me it was either Galleon or Woden - i do like Galleon too.

Woden's M/AM (i put them in the front turret for heavier hull damage than starbursts and no load on generators) and PSP crossfire in the visual field is awesome, it's like having main guns.
Sinxar wrote:I really tried to like it but its just too big and slow with light shielding to really stand up to capitals.
I sort of feel the same - but Woden has full M2 grade shielding (shielding means somewhat less in AP since the reinforced hulls and prolonged battles - which is why Galleon might work even if its shields are half of an M2) and overtunes really help with speed. Otherwise i'd lose patience too.
Can't create imaginary friends, only enemies
/Dresden Codak/

grumman
x3tc

Post by grumman » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 18:06

I'm another that sticks to M7s and smaller. If I can't fly it like a fighter, I don't want to fly it. Even back in X2, the only capital ships I ever flew were the Elephant and Raptor, because running people down at 300 m/s was an adequate alternative to spinal mounted guns.
Grumman - killjoy extraordinaire

palm911
x4

Post by palm911 » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 19:12

RefocusedLight wrote:I haven't managed to capture a J ever - so can't say. So for me it was either Galleon or Woden - i do like Galleon too.

Woden's M/AM (i put them in the front turret for heavier hull damage than starbursts and no load on generators) and PSP crossfire in the visual field is awesome, it's like having main guns.
Sinxar wrote:I really tried to like it but its just too big and slow with light shielding to really stand up to capitals.
I sort of feel the same - but Woden has full M2 grade shielding (shielding means somewhat less in AP since the reinforced hulls and prolonged battles - which is why Galleon might work even if its shields are half of an M2) and overtunes really help with speed. Otherwise i'd lose patience too.
i have found that the front using starburst, are devastating against missiles :) and the left turret or right turret takes the capital ships.

i think its a good player ship, plenty of shielding too.
X gamer , one at a time.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 20:20

I really enjoyed my Raptor in Reunion but now prefer Panther because they changed the turret layout so that all carriers lack frontal firepower. This thing alone makes Panther unique - it has a 360 degree coverage of anti-capital turrets. M1 in TC+ is not designed for frontal assault and basically have to rely on fighters. Those fighters tend go get smashed on your ship if you pilot it yourself and make an evasion maneuver. Conclusion : M1 is better left to AI :)

garv222

Post by garv222 » Mon, 16. Jan 12, 21:26

For me, The m1 and m2 ships are nice to take out for a drive every now and then, but I do most of my cruising around in a hyperion. Sure these was a time where I was living in a m7, but mobility and convenience is just so important. I started playing XRM recently and I think some of those big ships can park m6 and TS class ships. Curious to see if that changes my personal ship from a heavily armed space yacht to a M2
Duke's Buccaneers... I hate you so much... I am sooo demolishing your HQ when our business is finished....

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Tue, 17. Jan 12, 02:26

I must say, that I love M1's as a personal ship. Are they lacking in forward firepower? Sure, some. But consider that you have capital class weapons and fighter back up firepower.

Remember the purpose of M1's is to project firepower. Running into the middle of a fight isn't where they work best. But sending fighters ahead to weaken the enemy, or sending them out to take control of an area. That's where Carriers excel.

There's more to fighting with a carrier than just adjusting speed, and sliding side to side. Rolling a carrier is very useful, to get maximum firepower on a target while minimizing your profile, as well as shifting your position to best support you fighters, or give the correct turret shots on the target.

And different carriers excel at different roles. I mean, I'm not going to take a Condor into capital combat. But in the midst of a dogfight, rolling in with a Condor packing 20x FAA will shred everything fighter shaped in VERY short order.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

ShadowGod56

Post by ShadowGod56 » Tue, 17. Jan 12, 03:10

im reletivly new to piloting carrier but after playing around with them the past fewdays it has became my favorite class, just roll onto the battle field and release the hive. then after the enemy fleets support is crippled and there nothing but the heavy hitter left you can fly in and let your guns say hello.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”