[Bugs AP] Fly through gate does not work in Aldrin

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

VincentTH
x4

[Bugs AP] Fly through gate does not work in Aldrin

Post by VincentTH » Tue, 17. Jan 12, 01:54

So Fly Through gate generally works when there are gates, or TOA in general Terran sectors. It does not work in Aldrin.

Say, you are in Aldrin 2 with 2 TOAs marked W and S, both leading to Aldrin. If you order 2 ships with Explorer SW, one to the S TOA and one to the W TOA, both would go through the S gate.

Worse yet, if you order a ship with the explorer SW in Aldrin, to an internal TOA (i.e. TOA going to another TOA in Aldrin), the ship does nothing.

The current behavior of F-T-G would be best be renamed as Fly-to-sector-behind gate, not fly-through-that-gate.

Catra

Post by Catra » Tue, 17. Jan 12, 04:58

its not a problem with the software, its a problem with the TOAs,

theres no west gate to aldrin 2, ergo they have to use the south gate.
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

AL'42
x3tc

Post by AL'42 » Tue, 17. Jan 12, 11:16

@ VincentTH

Confirmed. I’d say it’s a bug.

You can manually fly through these TOAs, but the autopilot does not work with them.

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Tue, 17. Jan 12, 20:16

Catra wrote:its not a problem with the software, its a problem with the TOAs,

theres no west gate to aldrin 2, ergo they have to use the south gate.
This has nothing to do with TOA. It has everything to do with the semantics of the command "Fly-Through-Gate".
I bet if you replace the TOA in Aldrin with a gate jumping back to another gate in Aldrin, you would get the same behavior. The difference between a TOA and a gate is that it allows ship to jump to gate, and not TOA. The function that the destination is another sector or the same sector is what comes into play here.

So if you issue the command Fly-Thru-Gate to a gate/TOA in Aldrin, and that gate/TOA leads to another gate/TOA in Aldrin, the command does nothing, because you are already at the destination behind the gate/TOA. It is really a difference in semantics. That why I said, the behavior/semantics of the command would best be described as "Fly-to-sector-behind-that-gate" not "Fly-Thru-That-Gate".

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Tue, 17. Jan 12, 20:38

The in-sector TOAs are just there to shorten the travel times for the player, as NPCs wont be able to use the gates anyway. This was added in TC 2.0 with the 2.0 Expansion Plot.

This was kept as is for AP cause it was the best solution that included having gates, the other was to not have any. The 2 TOAs leading to Aldrin 2 work as usually and can be used by both NPC and autopilot.

MFG

Ketraar

Catra

Post by Catra » Tue, 17. Jan 12, 20:41

leading to Aldrin 2
yes, and thats not the issue being discussed.

the west gate leading to aldrin from aldrin 2 doesnt work properly for ships using the fly through gate command OOS(i went IS and did the command myself, went through fine). they will always choose to use the south gate instead.
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Tue, 17. Jan 12, 22:39

ah I see, sorry for my mixup.

In any case, both gates in Aldrin 2 leading to Aldrin work correctly. The only "odd" thing that happens is when you call a fly through gate for the one gate that is further away from you so the autopilot will use the closest one (as its actually performing a fly to sector command).

This is though a special case as usual gates are not that close together, thus you probably had not experienced it before.

MFG

Ketraar

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”