Need some advice with wings in TC

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Brinnie
x3tc

Need some advice with wings in TC

Post by Brinnie » Sat, 21. Jan 12, 15:17

I remember in Reunion you could setup groups (I think with the Xai Corporation Group Management System scripts) so that one squadron might have 2 leaders each with 2 other ships following them and one of these followers could be set to protect the leader and the other to attack its target.

- Is that still possible in Terran Conflict?
- What script would be useful for that?
- Are the Xai Corporation Group Management System still usable with TC?

I am using Wing Hotkey for wings control.

- - -

About weapon selection, If I were to equip my wings with PBEs and HEPTs would they automatically know when it is a good time to use one of the other and also how many lazers they use.
Or do I need to assign one type of lazer to one weapon group and one to another for each craft and manually change it according to needs?

- - -

Any suggestion/advice concerning scripts or strategies to facilitate wings usage as well as a link to a source of info on this is welcome.

Thanks

Shootist
x4

Post by Shootist » Sat, 21. Jan 12, 15:26

The only advise I can give you about wings is, don't use them. Except, maybe, perhaps, out of sector in a sector you will never enter. Maybe.

Wings, in Reunion, maintained formation wonderfully. Wings, in TC, do not. They run into everything, themselves, you, asteroids, you, stations and, did I mention, you?

zyriel
x4

Post by zyriel » Sat, 21. Jan 12, 15:48

wings work fine in my TC universe
i usually make them in xdelta formation and m3+'s fight IN sector just fine - takeing down big targets fast

some ships work better than others

in sector fighter force i use Solanos
OOS i use chimeras

no scripts needed

only downside i see is theres just way too few number of wings possible
i could use like hundreds instead of 8

sadron
x3tc

Post by sadron » Sat, 21. Jan 12, 16:02

How can the programming for wings get worse than Reunion, rather than the same or better? How did they screw that up? Isn't it more or less the same engine? (Never played Reunion but it's still considered X3 as well)

Shootist
x4

Post by Shootist » Sat, 21. Jan 12, 16:41

sadron wrote:How can the programming for wings get worse than Reunion, rather than the same or better? How did they screw that up? Isn't it more or less the same engine? (Never played Reunion but it's still considered X3 as well)
I don't know, but I do have a theory. CPU clock cycles were not as overused in Reunion. Those beautiful formations had to run collision avoidance every second(?), or perhaps a different, more CPU intensive wing script, than the one in TC. While in TC they appear to apply collision avoidance every couple of seconds (or a different script entirely) and when the game gets really busy the Wing routine suffers, badly.

Just my conjecture. Also, my numbers are illustrative only, I've not put any effort, beyond observation, into this.

edited for clarity

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”