[TC] Do Spitfyres make good carrier fighters?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Aeshi
x3tc

[TC] Do Spitfyres make good carrier fighters?

Post by Aeshi » Sat, 21. Jan 12, 19:32

I've just finished the Terran plot and was considering adding a wing (or several wings) of Spitfyres to my fleet on account of them having the toughness (and maybe firepower? never really used the EMPCs) of an M3+, the Speed of an M5 and the cost of a regular M3 and was looking for a second opinion.

The only difficulty I can see would be getting enough guns to equip them all, especially given they'll probably be bought by the time I get there given how massive Aldrin is (I also hear the AI isn't that good at handling fighters this fast/maneuverable.)

Gloomheart
x4

Post by Gloomheart » Sat, 21. Jan 12, 19:59

I wouldn't recommend a whole carrier of them, but maybe a few for interception or handling M5s.

The weapons are a pain in the neck to get, plus (like Kestrels and other high speed craft) they tend to crash into large floating objects at high speeds. Godforbid you get into a fight near a Solar Plant XL!

Vyrebird
x4

Re: [TC] Do Spitfyres make good carrier fighters?

Post by Vyrebird » Sat, 21. Jan 12, 20:23

I don't have any grand advice, but figured I'd comment on two points.
Aeshi wrote:I've just finished the Terran plot and was considering adding a wing (or several wings) of Spitfyres to my fleet on account of them having the [...] the cost of a regular M3 and was looking for a second opinion.
If you're comparing it to Commonwealth fighters, remember to factor in the cost of the guns. The (E)EMPCs are about 300k each, whereas HEPTs are ~150k and PACs are around 40k. For a fully-equipped (10 guns) Spitfyre, that's an extra 1.5mil compared to a 10-HEPT CW fighter. Of course, if you're comparing it to other Terran offerings, then the point is moot, since they'll all have the same proportionate expense.
(I also hear the AI isn't that good at handling fighters this fast/maneuverable.)
I experimented with a Raptor of Kestrels for a while, undertuned to various degrees, and looked at which subgroups took the most losses during fights and general flying. It wasn't the most rigorous of studies, but I settled on a speed of 484m/s (I was biased toward a speed similar to Fujin Raiders'/Sentinels' 477m/s from the start, since they seemed to have vastly fewer issues than Kestrels with collisions). So I suspect the Spitfyre's 452m/s should work out alright - maybe not ideal, but not subject to all the problems a 605m/s fighter has.

At worst, you could always skip some of the engine tunings, like I did with the Kestrels, to tone down the speed to something you're more comfortable with. Spitfyres start at 113m/s, so you've got a lot of wiggle room.

I'd still suggest you avoid ordering them to dock or deploy in an asteroid field IS, though (e.g. in the rock-intensive parts of Ore Belt, Savage Spur). While 30 Nova Raiders can do so successfully without any losses, 50 Kestrels would often lose 1 or 2. I suspect that, with similar speeds, the Spitfyres would act more like the Kestrels in that.

--

For a similar goal (cheap, powerful fighter-class-hybrid carrier fighter) I favor Solanos (M4+, so M4 speeds, price, & firepower, with M3 shields). I debated Spitfyres, and they were quite tempting to fill a Panther with, but I wound up skipping it because the guns would be too much of a pain without cloning or duping.

Aeshi
x3tc

Post by Aeshi » Sat, 21. Jan 12, 20:35

I don't think the whole collision thing would be a problem for me since I use the "Bounce" mod. I'll trust your judgement and stick to my regular fighters for now though.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”