Can you actually get the Phased Array Laser Cannon?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Aeshi
x3tc

Can you actually get the Phased Array Laser Cannon?

Post by Aeshi » Sun, 22. Jan 12, 15:15

I've noticed there's a weapon the Split M7s can use called the Phased Array Laser Cannon but I've NEVER seen a ship carrying/using these weapons.

Are they any good, and if so how would I go about getting some (or are they like SPARE_LASER_01 in that you probably weren't meant to see them?)

P.S. has anyone else noticed that from the Panthers cockpit there are some lights that form a grinning face? (See for yourself, It's a large image so don't load it if you have a bad connection.)

Ripskar
x3ap

Post by Ripskar » Sun, 22. Jan 12, 15:34

Video
PALC is a white beam weapon, useful as an anti-fighter weapon.
In TC they appear early in the Final Fury Mission.
There are rumours about them in AP.
Do you miss dangerous pirates?
Try leading the target a little more...

ImageCobra Mk. III Cmdr.

Aeshi
x3tc

Post by Aeshi » Sun, 22. Jan 12, 17:29

In that case I'll just stick with my current load out. My flak kills fighters well enough.

EspritFort
x4

Post by EspritFort » Sun, 22. Jan 12, 21:31

But PALC is pwettier and has a higher range, although I don't care for the latter :D

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Sun, 22. Jan 12, 21:42

PALCs were said to be much better at missile defense than flak guns.

Now that bombers and frigates actually use their missiles...
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Sun, 22. Jan 12, 22:42

EspritFort wrote:But PALC is pwettier and has a higher range, although I don't care for the latter :D
PALCs are useless at maximum range, their effective range isn't much more than FLAKs.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

ConCorDian
x3tc

Post by ConCorDian » Sun, 22. Jan 12, 22:52

there are people who have claimed to have seen RRF ships using them but i personally havnt yet in AP... if there is the slight chance that RRF ships do use them capping them could provide you some but as for purchasing them or building a factory to make them, no, not yet at least

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Mon, 23. Jan 12, 04:42

NeverSnake wrote:]
PALCs are useless at maximum range, their effective range isn't much more than FLAKs.
This is totally wrong. They might be less efficient against fighters at maximum range (but still will wear them down eventually), but there is no range performance degradation for M6 and higher. They are quite handy on a Panther against capital ships and totally rock against missile spam. With new performance improvements they manage to handle even ghoul missile spam sometimes.

I have a script checking all ships in the game for PALC and PBC and it shows no ships except mine where I hacked them in. It doesn't look like any PALC or PBC were generated in my game.

Vyrebird
x4

Post by Vyrebird » Mon, 23. Jan 12, 08:23

ConCorDian wrote:there are people who have claimed to have seen RRF ships using them [...]
That's probably a reference to me - I'd mentioned having seen them on a Split Military Panther Raider once. I've yet to see any since however, so that was either a rare fluke/bug or I misread it (or was otherwise simply mistaken).

CharlieChop
x4

Post by CharlieChop » Mon, 23. Jan 12, 08:37

Vyrebird wrote:
ConCorDian wrote:there are people who have claimed to have seen RRF ships using them [...]
That's probably a reference to me - I'd mentioned having seen them on a Split Military Panther Raider once. I've yet to see any since however, so that was either a rare fluke/bug or I misread it (or was otherwise simply mistaken).
someone else mentioned he found 1 in a pirate sector.... catra and several other asked him where.... turns out he didnt even knew where he was -.-. as catra said... figures a noobie would find something like that and not know where he got it from :D lol

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”