X3AP OOS Defense Force

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

GameDrifter

X3AP OOS Defense Force

Post by GameDrifter » Thu, 26. Jan 12, 03:14

Hi need some help on what ships make for good OOS Defenders for my stations and stuff. Any suggestions? I'd like a listing of both Terran/Non-Terran ships that work well in OOS fights oh and there loadouts. Thank you.. :D

Catra

Post by Catra » Thu, 26. Jan 12, 03:17

the most heavily shielded ship you can afford to fully kit out with the heaviest weapons in-slot.
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

Llama
x3tc

Post by Llama » Thu, 26. Jan 12, 04:00

Some weapons work better in OOS than IS. I don't know about AP, but in TC the FBL and PBG had crazy high values for OOS combat.
I fly Terran for the accents

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Thu, 26. Jan 12, 05:57

Catra wrote:the most heavily shielded ship you can afford to fully kit out with the heaviest weapons in-slot.
Have you read this thread?
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Catra

Post by Catra » Thu, 26. Jan 12, 06:03

KloHunt3r wrote:
Catra wrote:the most heavily shielded ship you can afford to fully kit out with the heaviest weapons in-slot.
dont see how the thread is relevant.
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Thu, 26. Jan 12, 06:34

Catra wrote:
KloHunt3r wrote:
The OP is asking how to set up ships for OOS combat in AP.
Gazz wrote:A highly maneuverable ship will succeed more often in pointing it's cockpit lasers towards the enemy, resulting in a better chance to hit.
Fast / small targets are harder to hit. (surprise)
Lasers with a high bullet speed are a lot more effective against fast / small targets while bullet speed has a negligible effect vs capital ships - just like it works IS.
According to this you should arm ships for OOS combat similarly to IS combat: light weapons against fighters and heavy weapons against capital ships, rather than only using the highest damage weapons available.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Catra

Post by Catra » Thu, 26. Jan 12, 06:42

KloHunt3r wrote:
Catra wrote:
KloHunt3r wrote:
The OP is asking how to set up ships for OOS combat in AP.
Gazz wrote:A highly maneuverable ship will succeed more often in pointing it's cockpit lasers towards the enemy, resulting in a better chance to hit.
Fast / small targets are harder to hit. (surprise)
Lasers with a high bullet speed are a lot more effective against fast / small targets while bullet speed has a negligible effect vs capital ships - just like it works IS.
According to this you should arm ships for OOS combat similarly to IS combat: light weapons against fighters and heavy weapons against capital ships, rather than only using the highest damage weapons available.
in 99% of all cases, your IS and OOS setup really doesnt change.

so again, relevance?

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Thu, 26. Jan 12, 06:48

It sounds like you were suggesting that the OP choose ships and weapons based on the old TC principles where optimal OOS weaponry (highest shielding and highest damage) differed from optimal IS weaponry (accuracy, energy efficiency, etc.) In AP ship maneuverability and projectile speed factor in, as well.

Catra

Post by Catra » Thu, 26. Jan 12, 06:54

It sounds like you were suggesting that the OP choose ships and weapons based on the old TC principles where optimal OOS weaponry (highest shielding and highest damage) differed from optimal IS weaponry
the principles might have differed, but the loadouts did not.

CharlieChop
x4

Post by CharlieChop » Thu, 26. Jan 12, 07:02

Catra wrote:
It sounds like you were suggesting that the OP choose ships and weapons based on the old TC principles where optimal OOS weaponry (highest shielding and highest damage) differed from optimal IS weaponry
yes... they have slightly but they have.

its good to place ppc in all slots...but your Boreas will be at a disadvantage vs a wing of fighters. it has been stated that fighters have a chance of avoiding heavy weapons damage. thus, is better to fit a couple flaks in there rather than a full complement of ppc.

Catra

Post by Catra » Thu, 26. Jan 12, 07:22

CharlieChop wrote:
Catra wrote:

its good to place ppc in all slots...but your Boreas will be at a disadvantage vs a wing of fighters. it has been stated that fighters have a chance of avoiding heavy weapons damage. thus, is better to fit a couple flaks in there rather than a full complement of ppc.
me, earlier in the thread wrote:in 99% of all cases, your IS and OOS setup really doesnt change.
goodjob stumbling on the 1% and trying to make a point of it when its already been preemptively taken into account. =P

CharlieChop
x4

Post by CharlieChop » Thu, 26. Jan 12, 07:48

Catra wrote:
CharlieChop wrote:
Catra wrote:

me, earlier in the thread wrote:in 99% of all cases, your IS and OOS setup really doesnt change.
goodjob stumbling on the 1% and trying to make a point of it when its already been preemptively taken into account. =P
hey hey, easy you make it sound like i offended you...worse case scenario i just re.stated what you said :D

sorry for making it more obvious and giving an example :S

cheakytoast
x3tc

Post by cheakytoast » Thu, 26. Jan 12, 07:52

This is somewhat relevent. Yesterday i had my Hydra on patrol when it encountered a Pirate Harrier OOS.

I got that typical warning that one of my ships is under attack, when i went to look my hydra's shields were at 50% (meaning that it lost 300MJ of shielding)... is this possible or do you think my hydra destroyed a few ships before i managed to see what was going on?

I was pretty damn quick, it must have taken me around 2 or 3 seconds to load up the map and check out what was going on.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Thu, 26. Jan 12, 07:57

It sounds like it tangled with an M3 in the first round of OOS combat.

I watched my Zephyrus fight a Mako OOS and over two rounds the Zephyrus only lost about 150MJ of shielding.

CharlieChop
x4

Post by CharlieChop » Thu, 26. Jan 12, 08:11

KloHunt3r wrote:It sounds like it tangled with an M3 in the first round of OOS combat.

I watched my Zephyrus fight a Mako OOS and over two rounds the Zephyrus only lost about 150MJ of shielding.
isn't it because each round in oos is equivalent to 30 seconds? i can see 150 mj or 200mj of shield with a continuous stream of fire....

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Thu, 26. Jan 12, 08:24

CharlieChop wrote:
KloHunt3r wrote:It sounds like it tangled with an M3 in the first round of OOS combat.

isn't it because each round in oos is equivalent to 30 seconds? i can see 150 mj or 200mj of shield with a continuous stream of fire....
I'm not exactly sure how it works, but in OOS combat ships have a chance to fire based on their turn rate, and have a chance to dodge incoming fire based on their movement speed and the incoming projectile's speed.

Makos and Harriers can both use PACs, so I guess their damage output would be similar. The Harrier's may even be higher due to its higher turn rate translating into a higher chance to fire every round, and its speed making it more difficult to hit.

Also, rounds take 5 seconds if the player is watching through the sector map and 30 seconds if the player isn't watching.

CharlieChop
x4

Post by CharlieChop » Thu, 26. Jan 12, 08:41

that's nasty....... no wonder m5s can hit so hard.... fast weapons guaranty a hit vs a bigger ship, high turn rate allows for first hit and high speed allows it to dodge damage a lot better than other ships.

he probably suffered from the 30 second rounds, since he said he kinda ignored the warning, unlike you. anyone knows how much dmg 30 seconds of continuous fire from PAC, IRE or PBE can do?

that's gotta be nasty.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”