Trouble dealing with shadow missiles

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

garv222

Trouble dealing with shadow missiles

Post by garv222 » Thu, 26. Jan 12, 11:21

I've been reading about people complain about missiles in AP and I thought yea it's hard, but not impossible. Now there's 2 xenon m7(yes I'm modded) sitting in the hub and it looks like they're having a picnic in there with about 20-30 L and LX. They're both chucking shadow missiles at me and I've got no idea how to stop them. I've got cluster flak on top of my m7 to try and pick off the missiles as well mosquito missile defense, but it's just not cutting it.

I've tried jumping in close to let my heavy guns go to work on the m7m, but that was was like trying to stop a 16 wheeler truck with a bicycle. They just trashed me so fast.

I'd appreciate any possible tactical approaches to this situation. Currently the only thing I can think of at the moment is saving up for an odysseus or Agamemnon and mounting some PSG to form an umbrella to stop the rain of missiles.
Duke's Buccaneers... I hate you so much... I am sooo demolishing your HQ when our business is finished....

AL'42
x3tc

Post by AL'42 » Thu, 26. Jan 12, 13:16

General opinion seems to be a griffon for best missile defence using a wall of cluster flak (8 ) upfront and FAA (6) for the turrets, set to missiles only. The small profile of the griffon (size of M6) concentrates the bombardment and also makes it a tough target to hit.

Add in a good number of drones, say 50, to attack the missile ships and they’ll blow themselves up with their own missiles.

And use loads of your own missiles, typhoons are good (swarm missile).

EspritFort
x4

Post by EspritFort » Thu, 26. Jan 12, 14:10

Can't you just send in some cheap M5's with drones to make them waste their missiles? :o

garv222

Post by garv222 » Thu, 26. Jan 12, 22:05

EspritFort wrote:Can't you just send in some cheap M5's with drones to make them waste their missiles? :o
There are no cheap m5 in my universe. Each one costs about 200-300k due to some ship re-balancing. AFAIK they seem to launch ghouls instead of shadows at smaller ships. Also the the AI primarily targets me. The only time I was able to beat one of these ships was when I ran away and let the Xenon waste their missiles on an entire Split task force.

Still haven't figured out how to stop the m7ms, but seems to they've finally moved on. I'll try out the griffon when I can actually afford it. I think the only thing I can do is just get more ships with more turrets and mixing up normal fire with cluster flak and hope for the best.
Duke's Buccaneers... I hate you so much... I am sooo demolishing your HQ when our business is finished....

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”