Closed Loop Complex Asteroid Integration

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Which method do you use?

Complex all mines in sector using stations and hubs to extend complex range
18%
Tractor mines together into one place
68%
Use CLS ships to ferry resources from all the mines to the actual complex
10%
I don't build big complexes
4%

Total votes: 50

Raize

Closed Loop Complex Asteroid Integration

Post by Raize » Thu, 2. Feb 12, 20:35

I'm curious as to how many people tend to use each option for making a closed loop complex which is quite large, with several asteroids included in it.
Hens love roosters, geese love ganders,
Everyone else loves Ned Flanders!

willyshop
x3ap

Post by willyshop » Thu, 2. Feb 12, 20:55

It depends on my mood; but one of my preferred techniques is to unite all the silicon astroids into a crystal complex, usually by dragging the rocks around, and then building small complexes with only crystals as input around each of the high yield ore mines.

I try to avoid shipping ore, silicon, and e-cells around when possible. Although I've been contemplating building an x2 style cck free system one of these days just to see how silly it is, and to train up traders and cags.
Station Placement Assistance Script
"Split alive!"
Not anymore, you're not.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Thu, 2. Feb 12, 21:00

I used to drag 'roids around but you had to get hold of a tractor beam
and try not to collide with other 'roids doing the drag.

Now I just complex complexes together to make one big one and leave
the 'roids where they are. I don't use all the asteroids. just as many as
needed to for power and ore for what I am doing.

Ebon Page
x4

Post by Ebon Page » Thu, 2. Feb 12, 21:09

A complex must be nice and clean with all stations/factories together in close range.

Transfering the resources from one complex/factory to an other actually isn't a closed self sufficient complex.

I usually tractor only the asteroids i need for making the complex running. Then i build around the 'roids all the other factories, connect them with CCK and i am done.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Thu, 2. Feb 12, 21:40

I have done the first three.

But usually, if planning a serious supply complex.ie. for the PHQ , then I haul the Mines into place.

pr0nflakes
x4

Post by pr0nflakes » Thu, 2. Feb 12, 21:43

Always haul the mines over.
Always build closed loop.
Always put the Complex dock within 5-10k of a gate.

The new Hephisto station builder saves so much time in the placement i really dont mind the time it takes to drag roids around.
And it allways looks neater tucked out of the way in one place.

Nagittchi
x4

Post by Nagittchi » Thu, 2. Feb 12, 21:51

There was only one time I didnt move the roids. That was Barren Shores when I used ALL the rocks.

Now I blew up all rocks below 20 via station self destruct, I'll wait a few game days before I start dragging and making the complex a little more neat.

I hated entering Barren Shores in TC after the complex. Lagged so bad.

Catra

Post by Catra » Thu, 2. Feb 12, 22:58

why waste resources like that?
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

Olorin35
x3tc

Post by Olorin35 » Thu, 2. Feb 12, 23:27

I generally drop the mines on the asteroids and start hauling them into position while my complexes are being built. Gives me something to do while either Heph co is building my complex, or my own TLs are jumping out/loading stations or CCKs/jumping back in to deploy.

And generally, by moving the asteroids around, if I've picked a good location for my complex (i.e. out of line of sight when viewing the ecliptic plane of the sector, generally achieved by putting the complex ~30-40km above or below the ecliptic, which also has the nice side effect of reducing the amount of pirate attacks on the complex), I can continue to use the sector personally even when the complex is enormous (as opposed to doing something like complexing all the 'roids in Mines of Opportunity where they spawned, and adding stations to use all that ore/silicon, which would result in an unplayable framerate sector even on the most powerful PCs).

ddeflyer

Post by ddeflyer » Fri, 3. Feb 12, 01:10

Just two days ago I finished towing ALL of the asteroids in Savage spur into one very, very large grid (well, I skipped three that would have made it ugly because GOD decided it didn't like the 180th asteroid existing). They are now all connected along with 12 XL SPP and the support for them, though most of the ore asteroids have Si mines on them to boost the more common consumable. The complex isn't done yet though, I need to build the stations to make the final product which means I need another 200 Million. Damn if I keep spending that money as it comes in on ships and other complexes though :P

garv222

Post by garv222 » Fri, 3. Feb 12, 01:48

Even though I have Complex cleaner running on TC, I still drag all the asteroids to one area. Usually in extreme close proximity to the complex. It just makes things more centralized and it easier to defend. I can't possibly imagine making a super complex with tubing running amok in a small area, let alone running across the whole sector. It's not like I'm trying to build a new home for miniature giant space hamsters or something. I want it neat.
Duke's Buccaneers... I hate you so much... I am sooo demolishing your HQ when our business is finished....

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Fri, 3. Feb 12, 02:00

my first few complexes I towed all the asteroids tried and made carefull grids and positioned stations and mines to make it look as neat as possible, but than I got tired of it and just dumped stations and mines in a choatic order and had terrible spaghetti in quite a few sectors :D

SepticTooth
x4

Post by SepticTooth » Fri, 3. Feb 12, 02:13

I personally prefer to tow the mines because I don't want to look at a spaghetti nightmare when I'm in sector and if I can build closed loop I see no point in leaving the mines and having to set up traders to handle all that cargo, even if that does make more sense to me then towing large rocks together then building small fragile stations around them lol.

Though when I build larger complexes and have to tow a lot of mines I start to feel tempted to go modified, start over with a new save, or pray every night that a new corporation called RoidCo opens its doors and automates the asteroid relocation process.

lt_wentoncha
x4

Post by lt_wentoncha » Fri, 3. Feb 12, 03:30

Right outside the E Spires of Elusion gate. This was my last complex, dragging all the roids around was excruciating, but I am rewarded with a nice view.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/13 ... 0008z.jpg/

Virtualaughing
x4

Post by Virtualaughing » Fri, 3. Feb 12, 03:47

I don't have a single answer for your question because it depends on the surroundings... I believe the best is if you connect all the high yield together even with the trick of one hub conected to another.

If you have optimised ammount of mines connected together (dependent on local Player/NPC requirement) then you can have minimum prices set. You can allow NPCs to trade with your station too.

The way is to calculate all the energy requirement of your Mine Complex and connect it sufficent sized SPP. If all the trading gonig by NPCs docking on your station you will suffer heavy money looses. However if you use good ammount of CAGs then there won't be any problem. Side advantage is your other complexes where minerals on demand will trade NPC mines too. At my first stage of goals it was the primary objective to support myself with everything without the need of NPCs factories. That is a huge mistake....

If you keep NPC mines alive and support their processes with Ecells then that is PROFITSSSSSS :D

If you connect at least one tech factories then you can use regular or CAG traders to buy minerals from other mines as intermadiate product of your Mine complex.... That is where the real "conspiracy" steps in !
X to X3 is MENU SUPERIOR!
I think Egosoft has already worked out our doom, because Xenon AI will reach the stars! :D

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Fri, 3. Feb 12, 05:51

ddeflyer wrote
though most of the ore asteroids have Si mines on them to boost the more common consumable.
Although I think I know what you are doing,you do realize that mineral production is somewhat minimal ,if mined from the wrong source ?

Ore on silicon 'roid or
Silicon on ore 'roid
is not really a good idea except for increasing storage space when complexed.

ddeflyer

Post by ddeflyer » Fri, 3. Feb 12, 11:17

Yeah, mines on the wrong asteroid type aren't all that significant, but I liked the idea of fully exploiting Savage Spur :)

Raize

Post by Raize » Fri, 3. Feb 12, 11:50

ddeflyer wrote:Yeah, mines on the wrong asteroid type aren't all that significant, but I liked the idea of fully exploiting Savage Spur :)
I only do that to make complexing everything up easier.

My new strategy as of now is to tractor outliers to more reasonable positions then complex everything together with hubs and stations to extend range as before. Tractoring stuff isn't nearly as hard as I remember.
Hens love roosters, geese love ganders,
Everyone else loves Ned Flanders!

Baddieus
x4

Post by Baddieus » Fri, 3. Feb 12, 16:19

I'm curious as to how many people tend to use each option for making a closed loop complex which is quite large, with several asteroids included in it.
Not only do I tend to gather them all together ... I also take pictures :wink:

Here's a 30x Chip Plex, self sustaining, using 5 large Silicon roids ...

http://flic.kr/p/bnXQoB
http://flic.kr/p/bnXQn6
http://flic.kr/p/bnXQkK
http://flic.kr/p/bnXQjp

whiteraider
x3tc

Post by whiteraider » Fri, 3. Feb 12, 19:12

I've used all 3 methods...
Tractor them to 1 corner if I want to chill for a while

Connect if I want 1 plex in the system, now

CLS if it want to steal alot of the mineral for another use and still have the SPP loop run smoothly from start-up
Bring back the TS Pirate Ship, I miss my liberated fleet runing around the universe :twisted:
Maybe a fleet of liberated Pirate Ship Super Freighters :roll:

"Priests Dukes Compliments... Here is ship!"
"Teladi now show you how to fight... Ship all yours! Dont kill Teladi!"

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”