[AP] Choosing the right ships and weapons for me

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Jancarius
x3tc

[AP] Choosing the right ships and weapons for me

Post by Jancarius » Sat, 4. Feb 12, 23:59

Okay, so I've been looking at the wiki and various guides, and they're all very informative, in the sense that they provide me a lot of numbers and charts. But, I still don't really understand how to should select weapons for different categories of ships. My main combat vessel is the Centaur you get as part of the Peacekeeper story missions, and I've just kinda taken it off course to Argon Prime and am hanging out there doing combat missions while my sector trader learns his shit. What I'm basically trying to ask is "How do I know what kind of weapons I want for maximum destructive power versus sustainable output for each ship category?"

Catra

Post by Catra » Sun, 5. Feb 12, 00:07

generally comes down to actually using the weapon for awhile to see if its good enough for you. =P
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Sun, 5. Feb 12, 00:12

Also note that you have multiple weapon slots; you can install different types at the same time and get a "field comparison" of each weapon.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Jancarius
x3tc

Post by Jancarius » Sun, 5. Feb 12, 00:16

Is it advisable to mix weapon systems or to choose a single weapon type for each quadrant?

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Sun, 5. Feb 12, 00:18

A mix is always good. The exact composition depends on your personal preferences; I use an even 4/4 loadout.

If you're experimenting it might be useful to mix in groups of two (4/2/2 or even 2/2/2/2) to get a feel for different weapon types.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Catra

Post by Catra » Sun, 5. Feb 12, 00:20

only if theres like a <1km range difference between the mixed weapons.
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Sun, 5. Feb 12, 00:22

I've never had a problem firing CIGs alongside PRGs. I just have to remember not to run an alpha strike until I'm within the range of the shortest weapon.

Catra

Post by Catra » Sun, 5. Feb 12, 00:30

and for that 1 KM you will be running at 0 DPS, which is a waste, might as well use HEPT, as you will get more shots in and do more damage.

Jancarius
x3tc

Post by Jancarius » Mon, 6. Feb 12, 02:05

I assume for fighters, ranges in the 1.5-2km range are ideal, whereas I will need longer for M6 and larger vessels?

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”