[AP] Heavy Destroyers You Say?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

KurTr
x4

[AP] Heavy Destroyers You Say?

Post by KurTr » Mon, 6. Feb 12, 22:21

So i personally liked Boreas, but then i saw the Megalodon, and now i cant choose..

Boreas?
Or Megalodon?

Or should i just buy an M7M, fill it with monsterous mercs and take that Xenon I (i havent done a simple boarding operation so far)

Edit: Any any bright idea about what TL should i get?

OK guys i choose it. Thanks for helping me.
TL:Ryu(will capture)
M2:Split destroyer.
Last edited by KurTr on Tue, 7. Feb 12, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Mon, 6. Feb 12, 22:36

I'm going to try out that Kyoto. It's actually on sale in the shipyard in
the moon, as is the Skirnir. I know the latter is not a destroyer but it's a killer
ship all the same.

Still some Terran rep to gain, but slowly getting there. That weedplex
in combined with the shields plex seem to be working :D

Llama
x3tc

Post by Llama » Mon, 6. Feb 12, 22:38

This is for TC, but I doubt they changed TLs that much.

Highest Capacity: Argon mammoth
fastest/cheapest: Split elephant
good all rounder for cheapish: Boron Orca
Best to capture: Yaki Ryu (like a elephant but slightly better)
I fly Terran for the accents

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Mon, 6. Feb 12, 22:42

Back in TC highest capacity TL was actually the atmospheric lifter, but I've
yet to see one in AP :(

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Mon, 6. Feb 12, 22:43

brucewarren wrote:Back in TC highest capacity TL was actually the atmospheric lifter, but I've
yet to see one in AP :(
they are still there in AP cruising from planets to OLD's

KurTr
x4

Post by KurTr » Mon, 6. Feb 12, 22:47

Game is Albion prelude. Enemy of Terran

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Mon, 6. Feb 12, 22:56

It's technically possible to befriend them. Not easy, but possible.

I was right down there at the bottom as terran terrorist after doing the
short plot,. they wouldn't let me dock, let alone offer missions. If I strayed into core space I got shot on sight.

So I stuck some stations in terran border space and managed to set
friend/foe to friendly to terran for the plexes. Maybe I was lucky but the
stations have not yet been attacked

Eventually the rep started to climb. Once high enough that they no longer
shot me on sight, they started offering missions. I'm curently marshal of
Mars. Eventually I'm going to buy that Kyoto.

In the meantime I'd go for the Boreas. Even with the nerf it's still a good
ship, small and therefore moderately hard to hit. Boron ships are huge.
I believe the technical term for that is "target".

I've not tried the megalodon but some have complained that it's a bit of
a lame duck.
Last edited by brucewarren on Mon, 6. Feb 12, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.

Catra

Post by Catra » Mon, 6. Feb 12, 22:56

the megaloldon is terrible as it currently is.

the kyoto isnt all that spectacular for its price either. its just a glorified carrier for bombers.
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

Probe1
x3ap

Post by Probe1 » Mon, 6. Feb 12, 23:00

Borey is sick. I heard the Megalodon is buggy.

Borey too goood :)

KurTr
x4

Post by KurTr » Mon, 6. Feb 12, 23:02

I'm not planning to become a friend of terrans anytime soon.maybe i'll change side, i like participating to war.

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Mon, 6. Feb 12, 23:04

boreas is still the best/most balanced CW destroyer the second best is Python whose only (minor) weakness is that it cant mount flaks
Catra wrote:
the kyoto isnt all that spectacular for its price either. its just a glorified carrier for bombers.
and this, Kyoto's should only be boarded :pirat:

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Mon, 6. Feb 12, 23:06

Kyoto is a very decent ship, but it is too big to be used as a traditional destroyer. I am using it as a well-armed Aran - it can ferry TS ships around, can dock enough bombers and supply TS ships to nuke sectors and also has that star wars look :) If you actually plan to bring your destroyer to in-sector battle, go for the usual candidates such Tyr, Osaka,, Boreas, and now may be Python although I still think no-FLAK destroyer sucks.

Baracus

Post by Baracus » Mon, 6. Feb 12, 23:35

They python is better then the boreas in every aspect except for flaks, which it can get around by running from other capitals its fighting(fastest M2) and fight the fighters without support. ISR are not as fast as flak at fighter killing, but they *eventually* get the job done.

I used to fly a boreas and loved it, I just wanted a python in AP cuz it looked cool, turns out they buffed it into the best CW M2. It can...

-Fire further then the PPC maximum range(front turret only) do it its nose length and ship detection based off the middle of the ship. Just like the phoenix.

-Focus Front/left/right turrets on small targets cuz the left/right turrets can fire *through* the slim hull. The boreas can not do this, also to focus 2 of its front turrets on a target the boreas must lean left or right, making itself a bigger target. The python also has the best laser pool/generater of a CW M2.

-And possibly its best feature is anti cap fire CAN NOT hit it if you are facing the enemy. You can fly in between terran capital monsters and once they hit each other with weapons fire they ignore you to fight each other. This helps with fighter & missile damage alot since....only fighters and missiles can hit you.

It is the best capital ship killer in the game as far as non M7M/M8's go.

EDIT
Also mine is overtuned with all the pandora crates, each engine gives it +5 speed- I only got +15. :( However I got 10 rudder tunnings and it turns like a fighter, in fact thats how I kill M5's NOSE SWAT
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

smsesen

Post by smsesen » Tue, 7. Feb 12, 00:02

I use Kyoto and i have a springblossom, two zephyrus loaded with fenrirs, a hayabusha (to supply missiles and energy for jumps) and Auster bomber docked in it. plus my personnel aamon in the dock loaded PBGs. i must say kyoto with this load it is a fleet by it self.
i like very much the idea to go to Xenon sectors and attack every xenon ships that i see. Usually with my kyoto and its load, i kill everything in the sector, if not i call my Kraken to join to the fleet from my EQ in Teladi gain. :D it finish the rest.

getting kyoto is not easy however... i get mine after raising my rep with taxi mission. setup was simple. discover terran sectors with kestrel, jump there with Ocelot, to nearest pirate station, do taxi mission for terrans, get rep, get springblossom, do more taxi mission and voilà, you have enough reputation to buy kyoto. arm it properly though, is pain in ...sss :) takes time and patience. Personally, i like Point singularity projectors in front (full) and sides mixed with Starburst shockwave canons, up, down and back paked with Starburst shockwave cannons...
verba volant scripta manent

ConCorDian
x3tc

Post by ConCorDian » Tue, 7. Feb 12, 01:26

for the time being id say go Boreas, even with the reduction of the sheilds its still one of the best (but ugliest) destroyers for the CoP. that said it was mentioned that they were doing something "special" with the Megalodon which has me intregued.

personally i would say no dont go M7M... but im not a missile slinging kinda fighter. also look at the Python, for all it cant fit FAA youll find that the Ion Shard Railgun can be pretty effective all the same.

as for a TL my reckomendation is either the Yaki Ryu or the Elephant, but personally the Ryu. they dont have the largest cargobays but the are considerably faster than most others and especially the Ryu can be better armed. big pro to these two is that they also have a decent hanger capacity. that makes them also decent mobile bases for yourself and also a make shift "poor mans" carrier. whereas if your just looking for a TL for station building id probably say go with the Mammoth if you cant access the MMBS of the Terrans.

Probe1
x3ap

Post by Probe1 » Tue, 7. Feb 12, 01:58

How can you guys say the Borey is ugly? It looks so much freaking better than 60% of the ships in vanilla.

Griffon looks the coolest :)

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Tue, 7. Feb 12, 02:26

Whats wrong with the Megalodon?
I got one and filled it with IBL's, it is very big which comes with drawbacks, but it can get an awful lots of IBL's on target.

It needs docking though.

Catra

Post by Catra » Tue, 7. Feb 12, 02:39

the ray brings far more damage, and it has mounts for flak.
plus it has Ion technology =P megalodon doesn't have the traditional boron weaponry.
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

lt_wentoncha
x4

Post by lt_wentoncha » Tue, 7. Feb 12, 02:50

One more vote for the Pythi'

nap_rz
x3tc

Post by nap_rz » Tue, 7. Feb 12, 03:02

Probe1 wrote:How can you guys say the Borey is ugly? It looks so much freaking better than 60% of the ships in vanilla.

Griffon looks the coolest :)
are you sure you are not mistaken vanilla boreas with xrm boreas? the current xrm boreas looks sexy... while the vanilla boreas :headbang: :thumb_down:

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”