Repair laser trick

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

skalapunk
x4

Repair laser trick

Post by skalapunk » Thu, 9. Feb 12, 00:20

Post your tips and tricks here!

When repairing a ship hull with your laser, rather than waiting for the energy to recharge, enter your ship, then exit immediately with a quick tap of Shift E, Shift E. Your energy will be at 100% instantly..resume repairing.

pdboddy
x3tc

Post by pdboddy » Thu, 9. Feb 12, 00:32

If you have the Steam version:

Hold down your left mouse button.

Shift-tab into the Steam overlay. Let go of your mouse button.

Shift-tab back into the game. The laser should be still going.

Walk away for a few hours while you repair your M1. :P
If we are what we eat, I'm cheap, fast and easy.

Alatar1313
x3ap

Post by Alatar1313 » Thu, 9. Feb 12, 00:49

If you have a logitech g15 or g19, make a toggle macro for your right mouse button. Press it to toggle on then afk!

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Repair laser trick

Post by Nanook » Thu, 9. Feb 12, 01:26

skalapunk wrote:Post your tips and tricks here!

When repairing a ship hull with your laser, rather than waiting for the energy to recharge, enter your ship, then exit immediately with a quick tap of Shift E, Shift E. Your energy will be at 100% instantly..resume repairing.
Unnecessary, and ultimately time wasting. Your repair laser basically works at full strength even when supposedly depleted. So jumping in and out of your ship is a waste of time. Tests have been run in the past, at least in TC, and shown virtually no difference in repair time for charged vs 'depleted' repair lasers.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

EuRoKa
x4

Post by EuRoKa » Thu, 9. Feb 12, 01:44

I usually put my cell phone on the keyboard to hold down ctrl :-)
XR Station Match Finder 1.1 <-- check ideal station combinations (for best use of mass-traffic)/production/resources + ware finder.

whiteraider
x3tc

Post by whiteraider » Thu, 9. Feb 12, 03:09

EuRoKa wrote:I usually put my cell phone on the keyboard to hold down ctrl :-)
A rubberband around the Joystick trigger & handrest, works for me...
Then go and make some coffee...
Bring back the TS Pirate Ship, I miss my liberated fleet runing around the universe :twisted:
Maybe a fleet of liberated Pirate Ship Super Freighters :roll:

"Priests Dukes Compliments... Here is ship!"
"Teladi now show you how to fight... Ship all yours! Dont kill Teladi!"

kardgar
x3tc

Post by kardgar » Thu, 9. Feb 12, 03:11

You forgot to eject your SETA and pick it up in your spacesuit

RefocusedLight
x4

Post by RefocusedLight » Thu, 9. Feb 12, 10:43

kardgar wrote:You forgot to eject your SETA and pick it up in your spacesuit
does it stay from then on? If so i am tempted to dock in my spacesuit and put accelerators and remote trading on it, not for any particular purpose, just because i can.

Internal Sentry Lasers for a cool scifi version of the mythical VD last line defence module might be very welcome irl - but wouldn't make a diff in a game.
Can't create imaginary friends, only enemies
/Dresden Codak/

Captain Chris sTc
x4

Post by Captain Chris sTc » Thu, 9. Feb 12, 12:37

No, your space suits destroyed every time you enter a ship.

EuRoKa
x4

Post by EuRoKa » Thu, 9. Feb 12, 13:08

whiteraider wrote:
EuRoKa wrote:I usually put my cell phone on the keyboard to hold down ctrl :-)
A rubberband around the Joystick trigger & handrest, works for me...
Then go and make some coffee...
I used to do this as well, but somehow I lost all my rubberbands by shooting them accidently on my roommates... :P
XR Station Match Finder 1.1 <-- check ideal station combinations (for best use of mass-traffic)/production/resources + ware finder.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Thu, 9. Feb 12, 13:28

With the M2 hull buff in AP, repairing M2s got worse IMO, but even so I don't dare
use the SETA trick. I need to periodically check that my guy in his suit
hasn't run out of air.

skalapunk
x4

Re: Repair laser trick

Post by skalapunk » Thu, 9. Feb 12, 18:53

Nanook wrote:
skalapunk wrote:Post your tips and tricks here!

Unnecessary, and ultimately time wasting. Your repair laser basically works at full strength even when supposedly depleted. So jumping in and out of your ship is a waste of time. Tests have been run in the past, at least in TC, and shown virtually no difference in repair time for charged vs 'depleted' repair lasers.
Haha, I had no idea it would still work while depleted. Thanks for that :D

Probe1
x3ap

Post by Probe1 » Thu, 9. Feb 12, 19:28

Does just using Gazzs auto repair script count as a trick or laziness?

mimeo

Post by mimeo » Fri, 10. Feb 12, 00:49

kardgar wrote:You forgot to eject your SETA and pick it up in your spacesuit
Tried it - this does not work (at least in Albion Prelude).
You can get seta and speed up time, but as soon as you press (and hold_ mouse click to fire repair laser, it stops seta.
If you hold laser and than try to enter seta - seta will not start (that is will start to 190% speed if you put seta factor to 10x).
If you wish to hold both repair laser and seta pressed, you`ll save like 10 seconds for every hour....
So this does not work.... :(

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 10. Feb 12, 01:16

You need to switch to boresight firing, and then press the CTRL key along with the J key to get it to work. It doesn't work in mouse fire mode.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

Rhox
x4

Post by Rhox » Fri, 10. Feb 12, 10:43

How good that I can simply call in my Vidar or my Aegir, both equipped with 10 and 8 RL respectively and just have them repairing my ships very fast.
What a shame that trick got eliminated in AP :P

best regards,
Rhox
"Warnung: Frachtraum ist.....Frachtraum enthält nun: Khaak Zerstörer" -"Cool!"

http://www.seizewell.de - die ultimative deutsche Ressource zur X-Reihe
http://www.x-lexikon.xibo.at -ein deutsches Wiki zur X-Reihe

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Fri, 10. Feb 12, 18:33

No matter how you do it, using the single repair laser in your space suit is limited. It takes a very long time to repair anything bigger than a fighter. That's not "challenging" to me... that's just boring! Or you can repair at a shipyard, but the costs are too high to make it worthwhile (until you become wealthy).

So why not take a more direct approach?:

1) Use the Cheat Package to add Repair Lasers to your favorite Equipment Dock.

Mount a bunch of them on a dedicated repair ship. Any ship that can mount a tractor beam can also mount repair lasers.

(There are scripts that add Repair Laser forges, but that is more work for the same result.)

2) Or, for a more role-play flavor, use something like Auto Prep Ships. Iit does a terrific job of repairing (although I was not successful at getting it to auto-prep ships). It sends your repair ship to repair your damaged ships, and will repair all damaged ships in the sector.

3) For ships that can dock on a carrier, or ships that can hold marines, you can use Marine Repairs. The only ships that cannot be repaired by Marine Repairs are TS and M8 (unless your carrier can dock them).

4) Or modify TBullets to increase the "damage" for the repair "bullet".

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 10. Feb 12, 19:03

DrBullwinkle wrote:No matter how you do it, using the single repair laser in your space suit is limited. ..
By design, and with good reason, I might add. It was really put in the game to help out players in the early part of the game when they'd suffer lots of hull damage to their fighters and couldn't afford to pay for repairs. It was never really meant to compensate players for getting their extremely expensive capital ships damaged because they put them into situations they shouldn't have, or at least should have thought about the consequences first.

Basically, you're supposed to think about what you're getting into before you just jump your 100 million credit ship into the middle of a bunch of baddies and start blasting away. That's not being a responsible captain, and if you do it, you need to accept the consequences. The overriding part of the mantra of this game is the 'Think' part. If you can't afford the repairs, don't fight the battle. That's the bottom line.

And if you do want to play the game differently, with cheap and easy repairs, well, that's why there's the script editor. The vanilla game doesn't need it. There are lot's of us who enjoy the challenge and the thinking ahead this game offers.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Fri, 10. Feb 12, 19:13

So why not take a more direct approach?:
5) Use a shipyard or your HQ, if you have one.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Fri, 10. Feb 12, 19:15

Nanook wrote:And if you do want to play the game differently, ... that's why there's the script editor.
That is exactly my point, Nanook. :)

I agree that Thinking is an important part of the game (and one of the reasons that the game is so much fun).

EDIT: I just realized that this is the Universe forum rather than the Scripts forum. So, yeah... I was just trying to answer the OP's question but perhaps I did offer a bit too much information for this forum.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”