[TC] What do you think of PBE's?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

xeb0

[TC] What do you think of PBE's?

Post by xeb0 » Thu, 9. Feb 12, 12:56

I just got a complex up and going that is pumping out Energy Bolt Chainguns (and ammo) and PBE's. I figured the two would make a great pair on a fleet of mambas.

After trying the PBE out though (for the first time), I've got to say that the range is a little disappointing. As it is a shield killer, you'd expect it to be used at the onset of a fight, but its range of <1km makes that difficult.

What do you think? Should I stick with the PBE+EBC combo, or go back to the basics?

Edit - Will the AI know when/how to use each gun if I equip my Computer Controlled ships with a variety of weapons?
Last edited by xeb0 on Thu, 9. Feb 12, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 9. Feb 12, 13:07

PBEs are great for capping fighters, M8s and TSs/TPs. Quick shield reduction and rapid-hitting low hull damage. You just need to make sure you have the laser energy to get to a quick bailing situation and most times the rest of the hostile patrol don't even notice that they are being attacked!

They are useful in turrets versus light swarm missiles, or swarming drones or Kha'ak scouts. Not good news versus area effect high-yield missiles though!

PBE and EBC don't really mix well in the same weapon group because of the range disparity but you can use them successfully in separate groups.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Nazardo
x3tc

Re: What do you think of PBE's?

Post by Nazardo » Thu, 9. Feb 12, 13:19

xeb0 wrote:Edit - Will the AI know when/how to use each gun if I equip my Computer Controlled ships with a variety of weapons?
Not in vanilla.
Salvation comes with a cost. Judge us not by our means, but by what we seek to accomplish.
Screenshots

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 9. Feb 12, 13:28

@ Nazardo: Yes it will for turrets in vanilla X3AP with weapon swapping enabled.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Nazardo
x3tc

Post by Nazardo » Thu, 9. Feb 12, 13:31

I'm sorry, but there was no tag in the title, so I just assumed TC. :goner:
Salvation comes with a cost. Judge us not by our means, but by what we seek to accomplish.
Screenshots

xeb0

Post by xeb0 » Thu, 9. Feb 12, 13:56

Bah, I'm so forgetful!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”