Mobile Mining

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

prastagus2
x4

Mobile Mining

Post by prastagus2 » Thu, 9. Feb 12, 17:18

Whenever I use mobile mining, it ask to select the type of roid to mine, it is only listing Silicone, Ore, and Ice, not Nvidium which caused me 2 hours to break one Nvidium roid to collectable rocks by myself. That is a tedium I can do without.

Is there a reason why Nvidium is not part of the mobile mining list?

Vim Razz
x4

Post by Vim Razz » Thu, 9. Feb 12, 17:55

It's not on the list because it's special.

To automate the collection, you can use the "collect rocks" command. You do need to break it down to collectable-sized pieces manually, but picking up the pieces is just a matter of sticking your ships in the right spot and starting them up.

AL'42
x3tc

Re: Mobile Mining

Post by AL'42 » Thu, 9. Feb 12, 18:14

prastagus2 wrote:That is a tedium I can do without.
Forget about breaking up the rocks with lasers. Slow and painful way to do it.

Just load up 300-500 mosquito missiles and machine gun the rocks, perfect for reducing them to collectable size. 10 minutes work done. That small effort will produce enough nividium to keep 5 miners busy for 50-100 hours for a standard size roid.

grumman
x3tc

Post by grumman » Thu, 9. Feb 12, 18:35

The even faster and easier way to do it is to just sweep an Elephant through the new asteroid field, smashing everything in its path until they're small enough to collect.
Grumman - killjoy extraordinaire

pulzarokkit
x4

Post by pulzarokkit » Thu, 9. Feb 12, 19:38

I have to try that "elephant in the porcelain store" manouvre :lol:
...All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die....

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 9. Feb 12, 20:01

Works much better with a 'fat' ship with a lot more shielding. If you're not careful, that Elephant will lose it's shields pretty quickly, smashing into rocks. Heavily shielded M2's work best for this job. :)
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

AL'42
x3tc

Post by AL'42 » Thu, 9. Feb 12, 20:24

grumman wrote:The even faster and easier way to do it is to just sweep an Elephant through the new asteroid field, smashing everything in its path until they're small enough to collect.
Have you tried doing that recently … elephant… 1G shielding :o

I tried it with 8G of shielding, slow turning, slow boring, waiting for shields to re-charge, gave the job to my miners in the end and got on with something else.

grumman
x3tc

Post by grumman » Thu, 9. Feb 12, 20:49

Nanook wrote:Works much better with a 'fat' ship with a lot more shielding. If you're not careful, that Elephant will lose it's shields pretty quickly, smashing into rocks. Heavily shielded M2's work best for this job. :)
Maybe, but an M2 costs a hundred million credits while an Elephant is only the price of an M6.
Grumman - killjoy extraordinaire

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 9. Feb 12, 20:51

grumman wrote:
Nanook wrote:Works much better with a 'fat' ship with a lot more shielding. If you're not careful, that Elephant will lose it's shields pretty quickly, smashing into rocks. Heavily shielded M2's work best for this job. :)
Maybe, but an M2 costs a hundred million credits while an Elephant is only the price of an M6.
How much is your 'life' worth? :P
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

Burnt Pies
x3tc

Post by Burnt Pies » Thu, 9. Feb 12, 21:06

I have enough problems doing that in a Hyperion, the unresponsiveness of an Elephant will probably end with you exploding halfway through that asteroid field.

Sterling Work
x3tc

Post by Sterling Work » Thu, 9. Feb 12, 21:13

I find it a pity the info that you can't dock a TS in a tl. Even if they counted as three fighters, if you can get two in a tl, set them with collectors and punt them into getting the ore while you hover nearby with a teleporter to siphon off the metal as the collectors fill up.

It was a sweet if amusing setup in x2 to mine roids of 100 yield with the elephant.

Freight droids can't take the upgrades.

PS since the idea is to steamroller over the rods, where is the problem of unresponsiveness? Just go 'brrrrm' as you flatten another rock, and laugh.

prastagus2
x4

Post by prastagus2 » Thu, 9. Feb 12, 21:57

I will try each ideas but the TL ramming suggestion will cost a lot of money at the early stage.

Still wished mobile mining included all known roid types. Make life much easier than looking at roids. Don't we got an empire to run instead?

I did notice some of the rocks requre to be broken down 3-4 times before being collectible and every time it splits, each fragment have a 2-3 secs of invinciblity and untargetable.

Beside the Teladi, who else buys Nividium and what can use them for beside selling for profits?

pr0nflakes
x4

Post by pr0nflakes » Thu, 9. Feb 12, 22:27

I use a Agamemnon with 4 psg's and 2k mossquito's onboard.
I just drive through the bulk firing away and any straglers i didnt hit with the PSG fire i use the mossies on.

Its using a sledge hammer to drive in a nail but its effective.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 9. Feb 12, 22:43

prastagus2 wrote:...
Still wished mobile mining included all known roid types. Make life much easier than looking at roids. Don't we got an empire to run instead?...
Nividium isn't included because it's so insanely valuable and profitable. The common way to make boatloads of cash is to load the nividium into TS hulls and sell it at shipyards. At 4 cargo units per piece, nividium is very dense compared to the other minerals. And even selling at minimum price, ~8k/unit, a TS with 4000 cargo will net ~8,000,000 credits. A mammoth full will net 120 million credits. There are already a lot of players who consider it an exploit, so why would Egosoft want to make it any easier to mine than it already is? Besides, it is a specialty item, and as you know, it's not used in any factory in the game. So, unlike the other minerals in the game, there's no other reason to mine it other than just selling it for huge profits.

Nividium

Post by Nividium » Thu, 9. Feb 12, 23:03

Sometimes I start a new game with the sole purpose of being a Nividium miner in mind. It's all so quiet and peaceful being a miner. Don't bother anybody and nobody bothers you. Just sit there and plink away knowing each pebble is worth 8,000 credits. Very satisfying.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”