Newbie needs some help with joining hubs and changing station rotation

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

The_Warden
x3ap

Newbie needs some help with joining hubs and changing station rotation

Post by The_Warden » Sat, 11. Feb 12, 16:13

Hi, I recently bought this game on Steam and have been playing for a little over a week now, have been having a blast up until today, when I ran into some issues to have made me approach the point of throwing my computer out the window.

A few days ago I got enough money to build my first station, a mosquito missile factory, after that I've added to this by buying a 1MJ shield factory and a medium ore mine. I've also added them together with complex construction kits so that the three factories have formed a small complex.

Today, having finally found enough money, I've bought a few more factories and a mine, that I've been intending to join to this complex. Now joining factories to the complex is no problem as long as they are close enough to the hub to connect, but my problem is that the asteroid I intend to place the mine on is too far away to reach the hub. Well, no problem I thought, I'll just put one of the factories between my complex and the mine, join the mine and factory into a complex and then join the two complexes together. Judging from posts I've read her in the forum and assorted websites this should work just fine. But, no! Whenever I try to join the new complex with my old complex the game first cuts to a cutscene showing the Mammoth I've rented, as usual when building a station, but then cuts to the load screen and before I know it I'm staring at the main menu?! What gives? I've tried several times now, building a new complex in several different locations, with different types of factories and mines, but the game ALWAYS crashes when trying to join the new complex with the old one. I presume it's not supposed to do this? Or is there some special procedure I have to follow to join two complexes?

Also I have read that you're supposed to be able to rotate stations before building them, apparently by using NUM 1,3,7 and 9? But this doesn't seem to work for me, whenever I'm placing a new factory/station this simply makes the cursor move diagonally instead of up/down/sideways as NUM 2,4,6 and 8 does. What am I doing wrong? Whenever I build a new station I comm the rented Mammoth, ask for the captain and then ask him to drop my cargo. Am I supposed to do this some other way?

I'm playing Terran Conflict v3.2, according to Steam the most recent version. I really hope someone will be able to help me because this game seemed like a great deal of fun right up until I ran into this problem.

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Sat, 11. Feb 12, 16:52

never had a bug like that, but just to avoid it maybe you should by a tractor beam and just carry the mine over to your hub?

Vim Razz
x4

Post by Vim Razz » Sat, 11. Feb 12, 21:49

You might check your key-bindings in the controls menu.

xTemon
x3tc

Post by xTemon » Sun, 12. Feb 12, 00:51

Not sure why the keys aren't working. Might be key-bindings, or something similar.

For placing stations, I have discovered that hitting numpad 5 then mousing over a station will center the new station on the one you select, then you just have to move it and rotate a bit to get the nodes lined up.

Not all stations are so easy of course, but it works fine for the most part. You can also place a object where you want the station and do the same thing with that I think. Works on personal ship, but it's a little hard to see through the structure.. :)

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Sun, 12. Feb 12, 11:07

key - bindings ?

Not come across this problem before,but seems likely.

If you have an Advanced Sat in sector,you can use the [k] key to see the station before you place it.
Just use the zoom keys to get a closer look.

Yes my first reaction to the mine problem was to tow it with a tractor beam ,before you connect it to the complex.
It does take a lot of practice to get it right,so save often when making complexes. :)

As you are registered here,the other problem of the game crashing can be taken to Tech Support.
Please note the stickies there and post a full DXdiag. :)

quintupularity
x4

Post by quintupularity » Mon, 13. Feb 12, 07:03

i dont know about the crashing issue, but i might know whats up with the station placement thing.

station placement is finicky at the best of times, but after a couple three plexes are under your belt it will be second nature.

if i understand you, when you try to rotate, the station moves diagonally instead of spinning in place. yes?

my guess is that what you are seeing moving around is not the station but a cursor that represents where the station will end up. you cannot rotate this. since your station can still be dropped at the cursor, it makes sense that people think this is how it is done. i know i did for a good long while. but there is a better way.

any time you are going to be building a plex or if you want a single station oriented a specific way, first drop an advanced satellite in the sector. i dont think it matters if the station is in range of the sat. this satellite will enable a special view in the sector map that allows stations to be spun around.

so with an adv sat in the sector, tell the TL to drop station. this will bring up the cursor, the unspinnable cursor. to get where you can see the station in the sector map, press k. your sector map turns into a greyscale realtime duplicate of the sector. you can zoom in as close as you like on the cursor. zoom in close enough and youll see your station. now your rotation keys on the numpad are active and useful. knock yourself out.

this sat view becomes especially important as you add to your plex. the easiest way to place additional stations is this.

-tell the tl to drop station.
-press 5 on the numpad. (this is a special "snap to object" mode. now the cursor will automatically snap to whatever object you have highlighted in the object pane. be careful! use the arrow keys to select objects here. clicking on it with the mouse will place the station. this has bit me sooo many times....)
-now use the arrow up and down keys to select the station you want to build NEXT TO. (this will overlap your placed and unplaced stations. dont drop yet!)
-as above, press k and zoom in. use the numpad to put your new station whereever you like in whatever orientation you like. just be sure the stations are not overlapping at all. not even an antenna.
-press enter and voila. rinse and repeat.

a few final pointers. when you press numpad5, an object is automatically selected to snap to. to me, this object seems randomly chosen. in busy sectors with tons of stations, ships and asteroids you are likely to end up at the bottom of the object list and have to scroll up to the top of the list to find your own stuff. a real pita. it took me forever to discover this, but the left and right arrow keys will limit what kinds of objects get displayed. right arrow is the one you want here. right arrow is your stations, left arrow is your ships. if there is a use for left arrow, i have yet to discover it. so just press 5 then right arrow to way simplify your plexing activity.

also, use the insert key to verify that stations are lined up on the other axis. seeing things from another angle will also help you to line things up as you tow asteroids around.

anyway, im sure there are lots of things im overlooking, but these are the main ones that help. the rest will come with experience and practice. there are several threads about plexing written by people with much more experience than i. read them. i found that no one of them was the goto thread for plexing, but that in the aggregate they have everything i need and more.

quintupularity
x4

Post by quintupularity » Mon, 13. Feb 12, 07:26

whoops, double post.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”