[REQUEST] No Collisions/Damage

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Grimshad
x3ap

[REQUEST] No Collisions/Damage

Post by Grimshad » Sat, 11. Feb 12, 17:33

I've been searching and I can find mods that alter things in the game, like the collision avoidance methods like Bounce and FCF, removing things like gate rings to stop ships from running into them and "safe" stuff mods. I've tried them all and none of them really cut it though, on top of that most of them make things either visually unappealing or harder on your cpu to keep track of stuff.

So when was the last time you flew into a wall on purpose? Never? Unless autopilot screws up and flys you into a wall, your never going to fly into a wall. 99% of the time, your ships avoid other ships and objects in space, the only time they crash into stuff is usually when your not even looking and when they are following you or docking. So in the end of it all, if collision was removed from IS gameplay, you would never even notice.

I know that Cycrows cheat mod has the ability to remove collision from things you have selected. So what I want is definitely possible.

Can someone make or at least tell me what I need to do to make a mod that completely eliminates IS collisions or at least make it so that nothing takes collision damage? I would prefer the first choice.

I want normal collision checks to stay in the game so that everything is at least trying not to crash into each other. But on the occasion that something does crash into something else, I just want it to clip through it.

Zaitsev
x4

Post by Zaitsev » Sat, 11. Feb 12, 17:52

It won't work, as bullets and missiles also use collision detection to register hits.

I just did a quick test and spawned a ship, then turned off collision for that ship via the cheat package and blasted away with my guns. The bullets just flew straight through it and it didn't do any damage at all. Tried a few missiles with the same result - no damage, and they just flew around until they ran out of fuel.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D

DiDs:
Eye of the storm Completed
Eye of the storm - book 2 Inactive
Black Sun - Completed
Endgame - Completed

Grimshad
x3ap

Post by Grimshad » Sat, 11. Feb 12, 18:14

Zaitsev wrote:It won't work, as bullets and missiles also use collision detection to register hits.

I just did a quick test and spawned a ship, then turned off collision for that ship via the cheat package and blasted away with my guns. The bullets just flew straight through it and it didn't do any damage at all. Tried a few missiles with the same result - no damage, and they just flew around until they ran out of fuel.
What about making collisions do no damage?

Zaitsev
x4

Post by Zaitsev » Sat, 11. Feb 12, 19:03

How would you make the game tell the difference between having a ship smack into an asteroid and having a bullet smack into a ship? Both are just one object colliding with another.

However, I'm not much of a modder so others might be able to provide more accurate information here.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D

DiDs:
Eye of the storm Completed
Eye of the storm - book 2 Inactive
Black Sun - Completed
Endgame - Completed

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Sat, 11. Feb 12, 19:32

Impossible, I'm afraid.
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

Drockt1
x4

Post by Drockt1 » Sun, 12. Feb 12, 04:11

Zaitsev wrote:How would you make the game tell the difference between having a ship smack into an asteroid and having a bullet smack into a ship? Both are just one object colliding with another.

However, I'm not much of a modder so others might be able to provide more accurate information here.
By your same logic, then there must be a damage number or % applied to ship collision, vs guns, as all guns have set dmg value applied on collision with object... you would then therefor be able to set a damage value of a ship collision to 0.

Of course my assumtion is it doesn't work this way at all hehe.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Sun, 12. Feb 12, 05:49

I find that the combination of Bounce with Docking Lockup and Fix improves the situation dramatically. It is not perfect, but it helps.

Fighters sometimes crash into things during combat, but the numbers have gone down quite a bit.

The only sacrifice is that you lose the cool docking animations because the Docking Lockup and Fix allows your fighters to use Docking Computers (they must be equipped, obviously).

(Although collisions are turned off during actual docking, many collisions happen while fighters are close to the ship *before* docking begins. That is what the Docking Lockup and Fix fixes -- it teleport-docks your fighters when they are within 5km of your carrier or station.)

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”