[XTC] The Boreas

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Aidyer
x3tc

[XTC] The Boreas

Post by Aidyer » Mon, 13. Feb 12, 16:56

I heard that it was the best M2 around (Not obtained or seen during plots, my mouth watered at seeing the Valhalla's stats but I couldn't see it anywhere, despite wanting it), so I went and captured a Boreas.
It's worth 66.4m in the shipyard as it has 14 PPC's still in it too. If you think that it's worth keeping (And repairing from 85% Hull, yes my marines are awesome :P), then what should I arm it with? The whole front turret is filled with PPC's as that would work the same as the IBL's in a panther: For attacking larger ships. Flak all around the outside would you say? Or what shall I put around it? I think another turret cannot hold flak, but I'm not certain on that.
I'll probably keep this one, and go and board other ships for selling, unless anyone has a reason for me not to, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Mon, 13. Feb 12, 17:07

In TC the Valhalla does not exist except in the strange uncharted land
known only as modding. So I would keep the Boreas and repair it.

Stuff it with PPC where you can, and flak elsewhere. Some folks prefer
to have a few less PPC to provide more flak cover. That depends on your
fighting style. The Boreas is quite capable, if you angle it right, of bringing
two banks of PPC onto a single target.

PPC > IBL. More efficient, slightly longer range. Also PPC can be bought
or manufactured. IBL can only be got by feeding the wild IBL fabs owned
by the Pirates and Yaki or by capping/killing ships that have them on board

Comparing it to a panther is not that helpful. It has twice the shielding and
just as importantly more guns although the panther is much faster.

There are 40 gun positions on a Boreas. A typical load might be 24 PPC
and 16 flak, although some folk only put PPC on the front and one side. Flak everywhere else.

It's also very small for an M2.
Last edited by brucewarren on Mon, 13. Feb 12, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.

Aidyer
x3tc

Post by Aidyer » Mon, 13. Feb 12, 17:13

Thanks for the advice. I was only comparing having the very powerful energy weapons at the front turret, I know how to two differ greatly :P

I think I'll probably put flak where I can, because my fighting style relies on flak picking off M3's and below, but also more PPC's than I would have done before I asked, so yeah thanks

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Mon, 13. Feb 12, 18:52

Boreas is the best destroyer in TC, so keep it, I personally would put PPC's front/left/right but if you want more flaks than put PPC's in front and in either left or right and always approach capital ships with the PPC side to make sure that both side and front are firing (I do that with Tyr since it has cargo-bay issue)

David Howland
x3tc

Boreas!

Post by David Howland » Mon, 13. Feb 12, 19:18

As Jumee has mentioned the Tyr I think it important to make clear that when you describe the boreas as the best M2 around, this is only as a player ship!
So yes unless a player uses it as their player ship, every player should have one of these beauties parked up read for when the player wishes to use it.
What it most certainly is not, is a good OOS M2, the Tyr is generally accepted in TC to hold that top title.
If you want to prove how useless the Boreas is OOS, when you get yourself a Tyr, put both ships in a Xenon gate blockade and see which lasts the longest?
The BANISHED RETURNS.
HEALTH WARNING! Steam Damages Freedom Of Speech!
Congratulations Egosoft on increasing memory usage from 2 to 3 Gb.
Bin playing X too long when Egosoft refuses to sell you their latest game?
The only steam I want is in my kettle! STEAM=GAME OVER.

Llama
x3tc

Post by Llama » Mon, 13. Feb 12, 20:54

You should have seen the boreas before they fixed the laser regeneration rate. It was hilariously overpowered
I fly Terran for the accents

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”