Simplest way to create new Wings in X3:TC?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

shadyJ

Simplest way to create new Wings in X3:TC?

Post by shadyJ » Fri, 17. Feb 12, 04:31

Hi,

I have maxed out all the wing colors in XS:TC, and I want some more wings! I have a lot of ships! What's the best way to go about doing that? The only mod I have running is that MARS one for ship turrets. Am I going to need to install a mod for this or is there a simple line in a cfg file somewhere I can alter?

Thanks!

EspritFort
x4

Post by EspritFort » Fri, 17. Feb 12, 09:04

I'd like to know that as well.

Smart_Bomb
x4

Post by Smart_Bomb » Fri, 17. Feb 12, 11:03

Short of Dling new MODs

Find out which wings are essential to you. If they are not then take them out of wings and have them on their protect mode for what ever ships/ stations you have them guarding.

All your main wings for certain reasons like bombers, anti fighters, anti capitals should have their wings and their is enough colors to take care of pretty much all you need.
- Please check out & vote on my X4:F expansion idea thread

[ external image ]

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 17. Feb 12, 11:51

Wings can be cumbersome to deal with, in my limited experience, and are really only good for sending all your ships out to die at once.

I prefer to nest sets of orders and use ship designations to keep track of them. For instance:

Standard Attack Flight for a Carrier (Throw Away Flight #1..)

Flight One - Nova Vanguards with HEPTs/PSGs.

F-1-NovaV-1 (Orders either protect ship or unset.)
F-1-NovaV-2 (Orders set to attack target of NovaV-1)
F-1-NovaV-3 (Orders set to attack target of NovaV-1)
F-1-NovaV-4 (Orders set to attack nearest enemy of NovaV-1)
F-1-NovaV-5 (Orders set to attack nearest enemy of NovaV-2)
F-1-NovaV-6 (Orders set to attack nearest enemy of NovaV-3)
F-1-NovaV-7 (Orders set to attack nearest enemy of NovaV-4 or Protect)
F-1-NovaV-8 ((Orders set to attack nearest enemy of NovaV-4 or Protect)
F-1-NovaV-9... ++ etc..

Or, something like that, whatever the intended use of the flight is.

In order to order the entire flight to undertake anything from protecting the carrier, attacking fighters or attacking deep into an enemy formation, all you have to do is order F-1-NovaV-1. And, if you need to switch fighters in and out or send a couple to get repaired, that's no problem, just order them like regular ships instead of having to bother with dealing with ships in a Wing. If NovaV-1 gets destroyed, other ships will not have their orders orphaned, in my experience. The same goes with later hull numbers, if they should die in combat.

I also use the same setup for station and complex defense, the fighters and other defenders keying off a Heavy Osprey with orders to Defend Position at the station. It works flawlessly. I don't even bother with Wings very much, any longer, since I've been doing this.

EspritFort
x4

Post by EspritFort » Fri, 17. Feb 12, 11:56

Morkonan wrote:Wings can be cumbersome to deal with, in my limited experience, and are really only good for sending all your ships out to die at once.

I prefer to nest sets of orders and use ship designations to keep track of them. For instance:

Standard Attack Flight for a Carrier (Throw Away Flight #1..)

Flight One - Nova Vanguards with HEPTs/PSGs.

F-1-NovaV-1 (Orders either protect ship or unset.)
F-1-NovaV-2 (Orders set to attack target of NovaV-1)
F-1-NovaV-3 (Orders set to attack target of NovaV-1)
F-1-NovaV-4 (Orders set to attack nearest enemy of NovaV-1)
F-1-NovaV-5 (Orders set to attack nearest enemy of NovaV-2)
F-1-NovaV-6 (Orders set to attack nearest enemy of NovaV-3)
F-1-NovaV-7 (Orders set to attack nearest enemy of NovaV-4 or Protect)
F-1-NovaV-8 ((Orders set to attack nearest enemy of NovaV-4 or Protect)
F-1-NovaV-9... ++ etc..

Or, something like that, whatever the intended use of the flight is.

In order to order the entire flight to undertake anything from protecting the carrier, attacking fighters or attacking deep into an enemy formation, all you have to do is order F-1-NovaV-1. And, if you need to switch fighters in and out or send a couple to get repaired, that's no problem, just order them like regular ships instead of having to bother with dealing with ships in a Wing. If NovaV-1 gets destroyed, other ships will not have their orders orphaned, in my experience. The same goes with later hull numbers, if they should die in combat.

I also use the same setup for station and complex defense, the fighters and other defenders keying off a Heavy Osprey with orders to Defend Position at the station. It works flawlessly. I don't even bother with Wings very much, any longer, since I've been doing this.
Its a solution, yeah. But only makeshift, as far as I'm concerned. The problem is that this takes a lot of setup time. For one patrol it might be fine, but doing this for 500+ fighters is maddening (considering that adding a ship to a wing in comparison only takes 1 press of the Enter key) :(

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 17. Feb 12, 12:01

EspritFort wrote:..

Its a solution, yeah. But only makeshift, as far as I'm concerned. The problem is that this takes a lot of setup time. For one patrol it might be fine, but doing this for 500+ fighters is maddening (considering that adding a ship to a wing in comparison only takes 1 press of the Enter key) :(
Oh, I agree completely! But, it's what I've got... :D If X3TC had a standard MS Windows type interface, with drag and drop functionality, drop-downs for everything and the like, you could set the above type of formation up in a few seconds. And, if you allowed the ability to store favorite formations, well the ease of use would be.. awesome.

CODEA has, I believe, its own sort of Wing arrangement and it looks very nice. I'm planning on using that in another week or so, after I finish considering myself sufficiently "Burned In" on Vanilla X3TC. There are a few things I want to learn in Vanilla, first, before I mod. Check the CODEA thread in the mods forum. It probably has exactly what you are looking for.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”