Garbled Audio - solved

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

xardoth
x3ap

Garbled Audio - solved

Post by xardoth » Sun, 19. Feb 12, 05:09

So, I thought I'd make a post regarding some issues I had with the audio (specifically the music files - and not sound effects.) I previously had CCCP codec pack installed, and as far as I could tell I had no problems (default installation with the pack.) I recently uninstalled that, and installed LAV filters, madVR, and haali splitter in order to play some 10bit video. Doing this seems to have caused the audio problems.

I read through some similar codec problems here, and I did know that I was using ffdshow audio decoder before, and did not currently have it installed, so I thought maybe installing that (ffdshow tryouts) would fix the issue. And apparently, it did.

Just thought I'd post it here in case anyone else had a similar problem. (I used the tutorial I found on the coalgirls webpage for the codec installations.)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 19. Feb 12, 13:34

Codecs are really fussy and awkward things to sort out. All X3 wants is the standard Windows Media codecs to be able to work properly but a lot of other brand codecs pretend to be the WMA ones so as to always be used and so avoid their parent applications having to detect or change the codecs when they run. Unfortunately that shortcut approach may mess around applications such as X3 that expect and need the real ones.

It sounds as though installing Ffdshow codecs (but then disabling them for X3?) has bumped some other masquerading codecs off the priority list so that X3 can actually use the WMA ones it wants.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

xardoth
x3ap

Post by xardoth » Mon, 20. Feb 12, 05:04

When I installed ffdshow tryouts after having the issue and scouting around on this forum - the only thing I did with the setup was in ffdshow video - and that was lowering the priority to normal (versus having the priority on default.) I did play around with enabling/disabling both ffdshow audio & video for x3tc.exe specifically, and for the most part the only thing that changed it from garbled audio to working audio was disabling ffdshow audio codec / enabling it.

Not really sure what had the highest priority after all of that installation, though I suspect ffdshow audio was what was running for x3. I assume something with the audio codecs in LAV or haali codecs didn't agree with x3 for my setup. From my understanding madVR is not a codec, but a setup/config app for LAV filters.. though I suppose that could have been the culprit too.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”