Steam discussion split from AP Retail Release thread

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Thu, 23. Feb 12, 22:09

kurush wrote:
CBJ wrote:In the Egosoft Shop.
Here is what I got at that link:

Code: Select all

Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0113'

Timeout for Script

/ Shop / default.asp

The time limit for executing a script has been exceeded. You can change the timeout by setting a new value for the property Server.ScriptTimeout or change the value for script timeout in the IIS administration tool.
Is demand overloading the server capacity?
LOL, I believe so! (Demand exceeding capacity).
I normally order the standalone version from Ego, and have been doing so since XBTF and for every release so far.

Not so for AP.

In this case, since the so-called standalone still need Steam activation, I don't see any point of getting it.

As I said so many times, Steam as a distribution system is great, but the DRM side of it has a lot of bugs and gotcha's that went un-fixed for years.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 23. Feb 12, 22:14

VincentTH wrote:...

In this case, since the so-called standalone still need Steam activation, I don't see any point of getting it.

As I said so many times, Steam as a distribution system is great, but the DRM side of it has a lot of bugs and gotcha's that went un-fixed for years.
Please refrain from discussing your opinion of Steam in this, or any, thread, other than the one in the Rebirth forum.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Thu, 23. Feb 12, 22:15

VincentTH wrote: In this case, since the so-called standalone still need Steam activation, I don't see any point of getting it.
Me neither, but CBJ mentioned no-steam executables earlier. I wonder whether I would be able to install it from DVD and then replace the executables? Normally, it is the game itself that does activation... Let's hope it is not the setup this time. Considering that I already have a Steam version, it probably doesn't make much sense as I can just take a backup of the game folder. Sending some bucks to ES won't hurt thought.
My concern with steam is that basically they have control of my account and have a capacity to disable it at their own whim (sometime called TOS :) ). That means you don't actually own the game you play, you are just granted a temporary right to start it that can be revoked by the vendor. I wonder if DVD+nosteam exe would solve that issue...

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”