The Boron Guppy, interesting find.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

The Great Stonk
x3tc

The Boron Guppy, interesting find.

Post by The Great Stonk » Tue, 28. Feb 12, 16:26

The New Guppy has an external docking port, and can dock a single TS or TP class vessel. inc XL superfreighters.

no M8's or M6's though.

handy feature, reminds me of the days when we piggybacked an m5 under our m6's in X2 :)

I intend to use the guppy as my 'patrolling pirate sectors collecting bailed ships and swag' vessel, being able to carry a cargo slave means i have more room for bailed ships and their pilots hehe.

i dont currently have the credits to purchase any of the other new ships, anybody feel like having a quick check to see if any others can do this too ?

Viivrabe
x3tc

Post by Viivrabe » Tue, 28. Feb 12, 16:38

Hi its me again.

can it hold a TM? if so then you have acess to not just more cargo, but more docking slots as well

natha
x4

Post by natha » Tue, 28. Feb 12, 16:53

Not TM only TS. Ariadne can too, while Cormorant not

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Tue, 28. Feb 12, 17:20

Macana can't as well

EDIT/NOTE: Ariadne is than a really good utility ship - it can carry the most fighters (24, well 23 if you take a TS) and a TS for extra cargo

cakes
x4

Post by cakes » Tue, 28. Feb 12, 17:52

Are these new light carriers cap only? Or SY bought. Can't seem to find any info on it.

MarineMarauder

Post by MarineMarauder » Tue, 28. Feb 12, 17:59

You can purchase guppy at Lucky planets , Cormorant at Ianamus Zura, Ariadne at Crdinal's Domain and the Macanna at the moon and maybe another shipyard.

The Great Stonk
x3tc

Post by The Great Stonk » Tue, 28. Feb 12, 18:05

im finding a turbo booster is a must - since 1GJ doesnt hold up to PBG's for very long its handy to be able to get the hell outa there...

expensive repair bill...

BloodBrain
x2

Post by BloodBrain » Tue, 28. Feb 12, 18:11

The balance inside this subclass is quite strange ... a teladi ship with the weakest shields in a class? 2 can carry a ts, 2 can't and so on.

Should be looked over again. ;)

MarineMarauder

Post by MarineMarauder » Tue, 28. Feb 12, 18:14

On the other hand the teladi deliver when it comes to practicality with 13M price , which is actually cheaper than an M6+ and Gauss Cannon(the only capital grade an M7 Light Carrier can mount?) - EBC compatibility all around , a significant advantage considering the weak weapon generators of this class.

lordmuck
x4

Post by lordmuck » Tue, 28. Feb 12, 18:39

You lot using these new light M7 carriers ?.. care to say how/when/with what/why ?

I'm asking because I could buy a dedicated carrier with more shields perhaps a little more defensive fire power.. or just use a panther ..

are they good for logistic support? .. Just jump in drop the fighters jump out again kinda thing ? coz if so wouldn't a dedicated carrier or panther be better (haven't tried a panther in AP yet)

Xander Cade
x3tc

Post by Xander Cade » Tue, 28. Feb 12, 19:21

Hmmm let me see...

Carrier
11 Heavy Fighters
11 Medium Fighters
1 Scout
Transporter

Looks an awful lot to me like the kind of fleet you would use the Fleet Commander software with.

Using the FC software with a Panther or a M1 puts one of your heavy ships out of action because the FC avoids combat. True, I would much rather a FC that's covered in Flak, but otherwise these new M7s fit the role perfectly.
"What he doesn't understand is that the Welsh are a subject people, put on Earth to do menial tasks for the English." - John Cleese

Gripen
x4

Post by Gripen » Tue, 28. Feb 12, 20:23

Yup would be perfect.

Problem is that you -need- to have a bloody huge TL assigned to the fleet for automatic resupply to work.

If only you could use any ship as resupply point.....

edit:

For you who wants to verify this:

Add any ship with a couple of tomahawks and make it FC.
Add a m8 and assign it to the fleet, set tomahawks to 50 under weapon settings (no tomahawks in the inventory).

On the FC press Call to arms to force a resupply, watch as nothing happens.

Add a TL to the fleet (and give it a couple of tomahawks) and press call to arms again on the FC and voila it works.

The correct behavior should be to always check with FC first for the items no matter what ship class it is. That way we could make automated fleets of any sizes.
Last edited by Gripen on Tue, 28. Feb 12, 20:35, edited 1 time in total.

lordmuck
x4

Post by lordmuck » Tue, 28. Feb 12, 20:26

Gripen wrote:Yup would be perfect.

Problem is that you -need- to have a bloody huge TL assigned to the fleet for automatic resupply to work.

If only you could use any ship as resupply point.....
.. The Aran ? :p

sharkball
x4

Post by sharkball » Tue, 28. Feb 12, 20:30

well clearly there is a large gap (and being double the cost doesn't really balance... as cost is irrelevant in the long run) between the first 2 drone carriers and the newer 4:

Griffon / Panther: 4M shields each, great speed, good weapons generator

The others: 1M shields max, speed great to not so great, laughable weapons.

Maybe nerf griffon / panther down to these? Buff the new ones a touch?

lordmuck
x4

Post by lordmuck » Tue, 28. Feb 12, 20:32

I'm still trying to understand the hype about these new "drone" carriers

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Tue, 28. Feb 12, 20:34

lordmuck wrote:I'm still trying to understand the hype about these new "drone" carriers
useful utility (fleet leader counts as utility as well since the ship itself wont fight :P ) ships thats pretty much it

lordmuck
x4

Post by lordmuck » Tue, 28. Feb 12, 20:37

Jumee wrote:
lordmuck wrote:I'm still trying to understand the hype about these new "drone" carriers
useful utility (fleet leader counts as utility as well since the ship itself wont fight :P ) ships thats pretty much it
-.-" ... Thats IT!? .. well I'm speechless and still thinking the normal M7's that can carry 9-20(or less) are better? I donno the more peeps post about these new ships and how they will use them may give a better picture.. tho im seeing them pointless for now

Gripen
x4

Post by Gripen » Tue, 28. Feb 12, 20:38

lordmuck wrote: .. The Aran ? :p
Too slow, too big collision-box :P

I want a fleet with a Tern as FC with four m8s having fun, or atleast the option.

Four m8 and a TL just looks silly for precision work!

edit:
Jumee wrote: useful utility (fleet leader counts as utility as well since the ship itself wont fight :P ) ships thats pretty much it
My savior-ish!

The drone carriers can perform automatic resupply!

Atleast they are way better than silly TL's.

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Tue, 28. Feb 12, 20:48

lordmuck wrote:
Jumee wrote:
-.-" ... Thats IT!? .. well I'm speechless and still thinking the normal M7's that can carry 9-20(or less) are better? I donno the more peeps post about these new ships and how they will use them may give a better picture.. tho im seeing them pointless for now
Well, Ariadne can carry 23 fighters and a TS so it can move around ships and their supplies, pretty useful isn't it? not every ship in this game has to be a warship?

Of course we have been spoiled by Panther that can carry 20 fighters and has good shielding and packs a good punch and Griffon and if new M7's were something of that league it would be great, but they are useful the way they are now as well (also Macana has a pretty model :D )

lordmuck
x4

Post by lordmuck » Tue, 28. Feb 12, 21:34

Jumee wrote:
lordmuck wrote:
Jumee wrote:
Well, Ariadne can carry 23 fighters and a TS so it can move around ships and their supplies, pretty useful isn't it? not every ship in this game has to be a warship?

Of course we have been spoiled by Panther that can carry 20 fighters and has good shielding and packs a good punch and Griffon and if new M7's were something of that league it would be great, but they are useful the way they are now as well (also Macana has a pretty model :D )
Exactly my point about the panther and griffon.. a supply ship .. something for logistics ... something you just want to jump in rearm refuel and bugger off .. There are plenty that can fit the bill.. BUT! sayyyyy if the new M7s DID have a working drone factory inside !! which would be better than fighter drones .. EG: M4+ theeeeeeeeen id think about them

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”