GC Turrets Can't Hit the Broad Side of a Barn

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Xander Cade
x3tc

GC Turrets Can't Hit the Broad Side of a Barn

Post by Xander Cade » Mon, 5. Mar 12, 08:00

Might there be a particular reason why Gauss Cannons in my game have a 75% miss rate? Shooting at a M2 with GC Turrets is exactly like shooting at a M6 with same - they always just miss.

At first I thought it was the the design of the Tokyo and K because they both have spaces in the centre of the target where there is no ship to hit. In the case of the K it is a very small gap, but my GCs always seem to find it. In the case of the Tokyo... well, except for the very short periods of time when it turns just right the majority of the target is actually empty space. Then when I was fighting an Osaka I figured it must be because it is a flat target and I was unable to attack from the flat side. It took me fighting the Kyoto and I to realise that they are simply not hitting most of the time, regardless of angle. Strafing or changing course in any way just makes things worse.

Essentially, the problem seems to be that the turrets are turning at the exact speed to consistently miss their HUGE AND SLOW targets. I noticed that they don't even fire at the target reticule sometimes but, ironically enough, when they are firing at the end of the ship they are hitting the number of times that should be expected, but then they "change targets" and aim at the centre of the ship and miss again.

I don't see this problem with other capital class weapons, like PPC and IBL. In fact, while consistently missing with the GC Forward Turrets on my Megalodon and Boreas, my PPC side turrets are hitting exactly as often as I would expect them to, while the GC are crossing the path of the PPC and flying off into space. I am not positive, because I'm rarely in a position to see, but it seems that the same thing is happening with my GC side turrets on my Phoenix.

The worst thing was when I fought a Brigantine the other night in my Megalodon. Between the time my GC opened up and when it came into range of my PPC I managed to get it's shields down to around 60%, but the Brigantine took my shields down to 15%, and that was on my best run because I kept reloading due to the appalling results. On the worst run, I came away with 69% hull. I had to check to make sure I had 2Gj Shields installed and not 200Mj ones. The Gauss were useless, it was the PPC that did most of the work.

I just don't get it. My understanding is that turrets' turn rate is related to the firing rate of the weapon installed. So how is it that a GC consistently misses while a PPC consistently hits?

Really frustrated that a M2 with 8-12Gj shielding has less surviveability against capital ships than a M7 with 4Gj.
"What he doesn't understand is that the Welsh are a subject people, put on Earth to do menial tasks for the English." - John Cleese

EternalSpace

Post by EternalSpace » Mon, 5. Mar 12, 08:28

Turrets have some problems in this game, that's why people use scripts for them like MARS and there's another one too I can't remember the name of. But they also increase the capabilities of enemy turrets too.

Xander Cade
x3tc

Post by Xander Cade » Mon, 5. Mar 12, 14:21

CODEA is the other one, but neither of those would address the problem (in fact, chuncks of one or the other were added to AP as standard turret scipts). This seems to be weapon specific. Again, I don't have this problem with other capital class weapons, only the GC.
"What he doesn't understand is that the Welsh are a subject people, put on Earth to do menial tasks for the English." - John Cleese

Raize

Post by Raize » Mon, 5. Mar 12, 14:31

GC have a much smaller projectile size than PPC or IBL.
Hens love roosters, geese love ganders,
Everyone else loves Ned Flanders!

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Mon, 5. Mar 12, 14:40

and regarding missing when firing at Tokyo thats not weapons fault there is (apparently) am issue with the ships models so that most of the shots miss (if you observe IS terran argon battles you will see that Tokyo is the deadliest warship they have :D)

Saber15
x4

Post by Saber15 » Mon, 5. Mar 12, 18:46

Jumee wrote:and regarding missing when firing at Tokyo thats not weapons fault there is (apparently) am issue with the ships models so that most of the shots miss (if you observe IS terran argon battles you will see that Tokyo is the deadliest warship they have :D)
Yeah, the "center" of the Tokyo is basically in empty space when you view from it above or below. It's ahead of the Tokyo's saucer shaped bridge - floating there.
The best way to attack a Tokyo is from the sides, infront, or at odd angles - but strategy something the AI isn't very good at doing, hence Tokyos curb-stomping many ships.

Llama
x3tc

Post by Llama » Mon, 5. Mar 12, 22:32

In smaller fights, the Skate has the same problem I think.
I fly Terran for the accents

werewolves?
x4

Post by werewolves? » Mon, 5. Mar 12, 23:01

I've noticed wildly varying results, on my Boreas I couldn't hit the side of a barn, whereas with my Akuma it lands almost 100% of its shots. the Megalodon seems to miss a bit as well, but the Shrike has no problem whatsoever hitting with Gauss, it even gets fighters more often than not.

Perhaps with the Akuma since I have a good view of the broadside I aim it better...

Regardless, I kind of wish there was a "ISR" for M2's, slightly lower DPS and DPH but higher projectile speed.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”