How to capture M3(Xeon L) ?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

FreeMayk

How to capture M3(Xeon L) ?

Post by FreeMayk » Wed, 14. Mar 12, 06:26

Need help! :evil:
I stuck on mission X3AP where must deliver Xeon L to Research Center.
Dont know how to capture , but know where to find that ship.
Right now use M6 Centaur with 8x CIG.
Which ship i must use for capturing fighters? Also guns?
Any suggestions?

p.s. Or some instruction for moding(cheating)? Need Xeon L badly. ;)

All best

Tiedyeguy
x4

Post by Tiedyeguy » Wed, 14. Mar 12, 06:31

CIGs are bad for capturing fighters because they are slow and heavy-hitting. Even if a fighter bailed (goes blue), you'll probably still destroy the target. You want something that fires a lot, but does little hull damage over time like the PBE or maybe a few PACs.
NUKLEAR-SLUG wrote:A wasp can sting you and that just hurts, a hundred stings can be fatal.. and that's before you consider most wasps don't come armed with flamethrowers.
Former Commanding Officer of "Hellbound Handbasket" M7 Panther light Carrier in the mighty fleet of Admiral Leo 'Steve' Kayean.

sadron
x3tc

Post by sadron » Wed, 14. Mar 12, 07:38

This will only make you hate me X-x I managed to get mine fairly easily, one became available but I had to abandon it because the Xenon were still in the sector and were coming for me (This was DiD mode in Grand Exchange, I got the hell out of there) the second time I got luckier and managed to get it to safety by flying it to Atraeus Headquarters for a jumpdrive. The Xenon were busy with the stock exchange at the time. All I can say is stick to your 4 default CIGs on the centaur you get, it's not too hard to get one. And shoot conservatively!

highflier
x4

Post by highflier » Wed, 14. Mar 12, 07:58

you can always go the easy way... continue with your game, get a m7 with flaks and those Ls bail like crazy. and you can carry them home easy.

there is a nice sector with plenty of lone Ls...
Spoiler
Show
Check Zyarth Dominion. you need to go through the xenon sector north of Grand Exchange first tho... no problem with a fast ship like a kestrel.

Terrachova
x3tc

Post by Terrachova » Wed, 14. Mar 12, 08:48

Honestly, all you can do is just keep trying. Eventually, as your fight rank rises, you will get one. Either a fighter with PBEs, or an M7 loaded with FAAs will get you good results.

I was lucky in that I got one in my first encounter with the Xenon. Strapped it to my TM since I knew, eventually, I would need one (got it long before I had the mission), and stashed it safe.

devilsad
x3tc

Post by devilsad » Wed, 14. Mar 12, 10:32

8 CIGs are too many, try 3 or 4. My tactic is to go for the kill, but to stop firing before it would explode, usually making a lot of hull damage. If it stays red, maybe hit it one more time to check, then kill it and move on to the next L. If it goes blue, immediately fly away and pull the other Xenon away from it. When you have defeated the rest, come back with a TM or other ship that can dock fighters, claim it and dock it, then use the jump drive to get out. DO NOT claim it until you've cleared the area, don't claim it and sit there repairing it, and especially don't try to fly it out through the gates by yourself.

I'm at Militant rank and I've had 3 Ls bail out of ~100 destroyed. It might have been more since usually I just kill them. It's not worth picking one L and nipping at it with weak weapons for 30 minutes hoping it will turn blue; many of those Ls will never bail, and you don't know which ones are like that and which ones have a loose CPU ;)

EternalSpace

Post by EternalSpace » Wed, 14. Mar 12, 10:35

I have yet to get an L in TC but I have an M and an N. I believe your fight rank relates to how ships will bail. So raising it should help. My strategy is to wipe out any threats besides the ship you want to cap. Pilot your own M3 that can remain near the L, I use a couple Ion Disrupters to wipe out the shields and the weapons. Keep checking his Info/Freight if you have the scanner. Once you see his shields are down to 1 shield bay (can't wipe them all out with IonD) and all his guns but one are gone (same limitation with IonDs) start firing slowly on it with Pulsed Beam Emitters or Phased Repeater Guns. You can try with PAC's and even IRE's if you want. Just slowly strip it's hull down and with luck it will turn blue, no pilot will eject because well it's Xenon lol so watch for it to change.

natha
x4

Post by natha » Wed, 14. Mar 12, 11:16

Exactly that, or get yourself something like a Mamba Vanguard, put 4 PBEs and go for it, without scans etc.
Yes the fight rank seems to count, but really if you're carefull and do "runs" and don't try to be very bold you'll make it. I hope you're used to fight with poor shielding :P

if you insist to use the Centaur, maybe use PRG? If you use the CIGs be prepared to use the "hold fire" hotkey for turrets. I use it extensively with Flaks and i have a nice collection of 20 or so L and LX ...

(LX was my favorite reunion M3, why is the only M3 that actually loose speed, every other M3 went faster in TC :( )

gecos
x3tc

Re: How to capture M3(Xeon L) ?

Post by gecos » Wed, 14. Mar 12, 13:52

FreeMayk wrote:Need help! :evil:
I stuck on mission X3AP where must deliver Xeon L to Research Center.
Dont know how to capture , but know where to find that ship.
Right now use M6 Centaur with 8x CIG.
Which ship i must use for capturing fighters? Also guns?
Any suggestions?

p.s. Or some instruction for moding(cheating)? Need Xeon L badly. ;)

All best
Captured the L I needed in my Mamba, just singled it out from the pack, killed the rest, scanned it and saved and then went for it. Had 4 PBGs to aid me. After 2hrs of in-game time and multiple reloads it finally bailed. Use PBGs for fast damage, in my experience they work better than PBEs. Also, after shields go down you can uninstall 2-3 of the PBGs and chip the L out with only one or two. Check its cargo from time to time, if you damage all his weapons, from my experience it always means an instant bail. You can make intermediate saves in that case also.
Trying to capture a L in a slow ass Centaur is not the way to go, really. You need speed and un-dodge-able weapons more than anything else.

GeneralOrange

Post by GeneralOrange » Wed, 14. Mar 12, 14:11

Griffon loaded with Flak - cruise around Grand Exchange for a while and you'll have more L and M's than you can dock :)

rusky
x4

Post by rusky » Wed, 14. Mar 12, 16:13

I think it's funny because after getting that mission I bought a Shrike and jumped in a xenon sector.

To my surprise, i got a bail within minutes but it was an LX :(

I later got an M and an N but L's continued to elude me, even though I had killed over 30 by then, so i gave up.

Much seta and empire building later I decide to get back to trying, only this time in a Megalodon with 36 PPCs and 34 AFlaks with turret switching on.

I got a very hard xenon invasion mission in Getsu Fune, and since my rank was still quite low it just spawned a Q, a couple of P's and 10+ Ls (!!).

I ended up capping 2 of them just by moving the Megalodon in front of the Q xD

FreeMayk

Post by FreeMayk » Sun, 18. Mar 12, 16:49

Tnx to all, but i use cheats for this mission...
Try couple hours to force ejection, but no luck.
I bring down to 0% hull and 1% shields many times Xenon L.
Never success to capture that ship...

martimus
x4

Post by martimus » Sun, 18. Mar 12, 22:58

I just took a cobra into the Xenon core, and the Xenon cant seem to bail fast enough. It seems that missiles really help, and the bigger your ship and fight rank, the more likely they are to bail.

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Sun, 18. Mar 12, 23:06

What's your fight rank?
Where is it?

KRM398
xr

Post by KRM398 » Mon, 19. Mar 12, 01:24

How you personally play is up to you, but getting xenon L's is easy, with any fighter. The pacs do a good job, just get behind it and keep firing. They bail fairly often but only when you take your time. Big guns do not get you bailed ships, just scrap metal. :roll:

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Mon, 19. Mar 12, 01:33

Another thing is that there isn't enough fighters in xenon space, every third ship is Q or P. Where are the fighter swarms of TC?
Where is it?

martimus
x4

Post by martimus » Mon, 19. Mar 12, 02:19

delray wrote:What's your fight rank?
Crusader. Although I did that mission at a lower level. I think it was three levels lower at the time. I do notice that when I go Boarding I's there are usually 4-5 Ls sitting around to get claimed and usually one M or N. I have only gotten an LX to bail once though, but that is a function of not seeing them often. (I have killed 17 LX's and over 200 Ls according to my stats.)

martimus
x4

Post by martimus » Mon, 19. Mar 12, 02:21

delray wrote:Another thing is that there isn't enough fighters in xenon space, every third ship is Q or P. Where are the fighter swarms of TC?
Go to the Core, or fight a J, and you will see plenty of fighters.

Nagittchi
x4

Post by Nagittchi » Tue, 20. Mar 12, 01:02

Trying to bail a ship one by one, especially that friggin BoP questline which I still gives me bad memories, is a terrible way to cap ships.

The fastest I've seen was, run your capital ship loaded with flaks in a Xenon Sector and eventually they will bail. But all you have to do is sit back, rather than try to PRG all of them.

That or use flail barrage missiles.

Flaks and flails wont work on non-Xenon ships though, since the pilot tells you he's bailing, and thats enough time for them to get fragged.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”