X:R - Best M3

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Enzu777

X:R - Best M3

Post by Enzu777 » Mon, 19. Mar 12, 01:07

I have a pirate nova raider, split mamba raider, and a xenon l. The last two were recently acquired, mostly by chance, and I havent got to try them out yet but I will soon do so. So discuss, which is the best m3 in your opinion?

Allan F
x3ap

Post by Allan F » Mon, 19. Mar 12, 01:10

Depends on what you want to do. Nova Raider for fights. Mamba radier for exploration. L is too limited in weapon selection to be real usefull.
Maverick: Requesting permission for flyby.
Air Boss Johnson: That's a negative ghostrider, the pattern is full.
Goose: No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.
Maverick: Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz a Split.
Split: Split now give you .... Aaaarrriiiigh.

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Mon, 19. Mar 12, 01:31

Wasn't LX the best in Reunion?
Where is it?

pulzarokkit
x4

Post by pulzarokkit » Mon, 19. Mar 12, 01:32

The PNR is a great allrounder, the Mamba Raider is great if you like fast glass cannons.
The L is not so spectacular (not counting it's big brother the LX is probably the best fighter in Reunion but it's a m3+ and another story)
...All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die....

ThommoHawk
x4

Post by ThommoHawk » Mon, 19. Mar 12, 03:11

If you mean X3R, then my fave is the Pirate Nova Raider (PNR). Its the fastest Nova (as fast as a standard nova raider - but with the advantage of an extra 25MJ shield), iirc has better weapon and shield recharge too. Plus, it has the hot rod paintwork. The Standard Nova Vangaurd is a close second becuase of its weapon recharge rate (and 3x25mj shields also).

I also used the Split Mamba alot - the model which has a working rear turret (for missile defence), but don't recall offhand which variant it is - Mamba Vangaurd?, Mamba Raider? not sure ... the rear turret on that Mamba only has one choice - but I could live with it (the mass driver which requires a bit of ammo on board). I'ts weapon loadout is very strong, though weaker shields than the PNR, I still used it a fair bit whenever I decided to go for speedier M3 tactics ...

I also liked the Xenon L, for its loadout of PBE's, but no rear turret on it....

The most usefu/uniquel M3, I would vote for in X3R is the Pirate Falcon, which has large cargo bay, decent speed and is the only M3 to be able to hold XL sized cargo - a great utility ship and good as a Station transporter selling crystals from my crystal fabs.... as well as capping other M3's as its weapon loadout is strong.
[XTrilogy]: Holy Argnu cows! I have found it! An asteroid of pure ore - 100% - I am rich! Now, I just need to find one like that made from silicon. hmmm, where do I want to go today?
X REBIRTH? "JUST A TOURIST until X4 IS RELEASED! Because That SUPERNOVA sure went FUBAR" (Quoting T.Hawk. Read all about it at: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=353678) :x3:

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 19. Mar 12, 17:36

First a note: "X:R" can be mistaken to mean "X Rebirth", a yet to be released future game. "X3R" is much safer acronym for "X3 the Reunion".

@Thommo: Pirate Falcon does have a large bay (actually same size as X2 Pirate M3 had), but only Teladi Falcon Hauler has XL-cargo class.

"Best" is as loaded title as ever. I was not using M3 very long in X3R (nor in X3TC) as primary ship. I did move to heavier firepower rather quickly. Back then, M3+ ships hadn't been invented yet and even the Argon Nova Raider had three shields. Patches, patches. :goner:

However, X3R has BBS missions. Some of them do demand a M3 ship and want you to haul some cargo within a timelimit. I did some, and thus the primary properties for me were speed and cargobay. For that, Split M3+ Chimera was a pleasant mix. Over 200 units of cargo and/or jumpfuel is nice.

Pirate Nova Raider and Split Mamba Raider are definitely on the cutting edge -- for different reasons. The PSG-wielders (Paranid Perseus / Medusa) are a different kind of raw power that not so many pilots prefer, but they are really deadly with it. The M3+ are all stronger than regular M3 from same race.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

whistlinjoe
x4

Post by whistlinjoe » Tue, 20. Mar 12, 00:08

IMHO, The pirate nova raider was the best M3, and the Xenon LX was the best M3+ (and an order of magnitude greater than the nova raider).

I miss Reunion sometimes. There was something very cozy about sitting in a fighter for so long.

BTW: If you happen to pick up any 'Unknown Objects' you should save them for harder Xenon invasion missions.

Prophet1
x4

Post by Prophet1 » Tue, 20. Mar 12, 02:39

Yep, had the nova raider until I got the pirate nova raider. Good ship. Stayed with that mostly until the M3+ ships became available. Although I capped some LX, for some reason I liked the Eclipse better and flew it alot. Now its a little nerfed in TC and not worth flying. Too slow.
No glory for you!

ReggieReddog
x3

Post by ReggieReddog » Tue, 20. Mar 12, 05:03

Gotta go with Pirate Nova Raider. The Mamba Raider is always just a little too scary for me on shielding.

I know I'll be in the minority here, but if you find yourself with a capped Pirate Falcon Vanguard sometime, give it a chance before you send it to the yard to sell. It has almost no cargo room, but it can dish out a ton of punishment. It was my favorite M3 for battling in the early stages of the game.

ThommoHawk
x4

Post by ThommoHawk » Tue, 20. Mar 12, 05:12

ReggieReddog wrote: snipped .... I know I'll be in the minority here, but if you find yourself with a capped Pirate Falcon Vanguard sometime, give it a chance before you send it to the yard to sell. It has almost no cargo room, but it can dish out a ton of punishment. It was my favorite M3 for battling in the early stages of the game.
I forgot about this ship, yeah the pirate falc. vangaurd is a great ship iirc has 3x25MJ shields, reart turret, and a whopping laser recharge rate.... almost as strong as a M6... or was that the Falcon Sentilnel? oh well... cargo sucked (after my usual weaon loadout I think I had room for about 20 energy cells left) but is a good ship I agree, and they were hard to cap too.

With Rebirth on the horizon its good to reminesce about earlier times....
[XTrilogy]: Holy Argnu cows! I have found it! An asteroid of pure ore - 100% - I am rich! Now, I just need to find one like that made from silicon. hmmm, where do I want to go today?
X REBIRTH? "JUST A TOURIST until X4 IS RELEASED! Because That SUPERNOVA sure went FUBAR" (Quoting T.Hawk. Read all about it at: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=353678) :x3:

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”