Weapon Accuracy

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

solus88
x3tc

Weapon Accuracy

Post by solus88 » Mon, 19. Mar 12, 19:44

hey guys do i just completely suck or am i missing something. im useing some Energy bolt chain guns and i cant hit anything until im like at 1.5k or just blasting. tried to use some good old fashion PAC and they hit at 1.6-1.8k if im lucky and m5s....dont even start. any tips would be appreciated.

flying a split chimera

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 19. Mar 12, 19:50

Which game? Have you installed Fight Command softwares and are you using the k key to cycle through the no/semi/full aim-lead and auto-aim options?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Mon, 19. Mar 12, 19:54

If you are fighting against M3-M4-M5, you should try to get close (1km close) and then fire all you have rather than play a sniping duel. Or just fire a couple Wasps per smaller faster target.

When fighting bigger ships like M6 or M7, you can play actual sniping duel since they are clumsier, but even then better help yourself with a Tornado or a Hornet.
Where is it?

gbjbaanb
x3tc

Post by gbjbaanb » Mon, 19. Mar 12, 19:58

I used to fly a Chimera, nice ship, good cargo, adequate speed. ... but the X-wing gun placement means that M5s can just fly through your lines of fire. Which was annoying.

Turning auto-aim on will angle the guns inwards which helps, but you're still shooting at a tiny target from a long distance. I think combined with that is the EBC bolts are small too, PACS and HEPTs seem to be larger and easier to hit things with (though that could just be my impression)

Today I fly a Tenjin, and its a lot easier to hit things with as all the guns are clustered together. It makes a good Chimera replacement.

TiGGs
x3tc

Post by TiGGs » Mon, 19. Mar 12, 20:00

Seriously, CIGs are the next best alternative to Flaks.

solus88
x3tc

Post by solus88 » Mon, 19. Mar 12, 20:10

hey i tried to kill some xenon Ls just now, there top speed was maybe 120-130 im pushing 189 or something like that and yet they are still on top of my wtf? in reunion id be long gone and on to my next target i used to love mamba cleared entire sectors and now i can even kill 1 squad. is speed like kinda nerfed in TC?

Zaranthan

Post by Zaranthan » Mon, 19. Mar 12, 20:52

There's been no speed nerfing to my knowledge, but if you're only 60 m/s faster than your opponents, you need to fly more or less straight for an agonizingly long time. Picture an M2 flying away from a lasertower. Especially against Xenon, who love piling on long-range weaponry.

To consider your original point, are you using cursor fire mode? Fight Command Software's Auto-Aim function only works for boresight fire, and won't correct mouse aiming at all.
Mosquito missiles: Because quantity has a quality all its own.

solus88
x3tc

Post by solus88 » Mon, 19. Mar 12, 21:06

mouse control, as in pressing space bar and using mouse for steering? explain more about bore-sight. whats the difference of auto aim off, semi, or on those mistify me. Still this is kinda pathetic, im missing the old combat if this is all its got to offer. again guys tips help

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Mon, 19. Mar 12, 21:15

Mouse control: yep, using the mouse for steering. Auto aim won't help you here.

Bore-sight fire: using the ctrl key to fire. Only applicable whilst not using mouse steering. Auto aim use here can be a huge help.

Auto aim: Off - does nothing, the targeting computer won't correct for your aim at all. Semi...you know what I'm still not sure after 8 years what it's supposed to do. Full (or On) corrects your aim to hit the target as long as you are reasonably close to hitting the target anyway. You'll have to experiment a bit to get used to it, but it definitely works.

Llama
x3tc

Post by Llama » Mon, 19. Mar 12, 21:22

Using Ctrl uses boresight to fire, which if you have the correct fight software installed, you can press K to toggle auto-aim on, which will aim directly at your target. Using right click to fire only fires at your cursor.
I fly Terran for the accents

highflier
x4

Post by highflier » Mon, 19. Mar 12, 21:42

semi adds the aim prediction (or whatever its called) for mouse aiming. that little X or the circle, if you are in range.

Max1045
x4

Post by Max1045 » Tue, 20. Mar 12, 07:28

Kirlack wrote:Semi...you know what I'm still not sure after 8 years what it's supposed to do.
Semi provides a target reticle that you can use in conjunction with to aim your shots. It essentially tells you where to aim without aiming for you.

:)

p00fer
x4

Post by p00fer » Tue, 20. Mar 12, 09:22

im also fuzzy on this, so in order to use auto aim you basically need to be in auto-pilot to follow? i've been using the reticle (semi) even tho i have the full auto aim because i can't seem to get the hang of that, if using auto pilot then im screwed because the AI doesnt maneuver or predict the opponents movements the same way i can with mouse steering, the bad thing bout mouse steering in combat is that the turrets dont close on a focal point, like boresight fire...any more detailed explanation like...real slow :(

highflier
x4

Post by highflier » Tue, 20. Mar 12, 12:22

just try it out yourself. get some ship with fast shooting guns (to see a nice trail of fire) and line up behind a small target and hit ctrl. then change the position of the ship. you will notice the guns sometimes adjust to the target. remember this position and do it always like that ;)

and you can use boresight fire with autoaim AND mouseflight.

Allan F
x3ap

Post by Allan F » Tue, 20. Mar 12, 13:18

p00fer wrote:im also fuzzy on this, so in order to use auto aim you basically need to be in auto-pilot to follow? i've been using the reticle (semi) even tho i have the full auto aim because i can't seem to get the hang of that, if using auto pilot then im screwed because the AI doesnt maneuver or predict the opponents movements the same way i can with mouse steering, the bad thing bout mouse steering in combat is that the turrets dont close on a focal point, like boresight fire...any more detailed explanation like...real slow :(
No, you aim your guns with your ship, like a WW2 fighter plane. The auto-aim corrects small errors in your aim, so you don't miss by a fingerswidth.
Maverick: Requesting permission for flyby.
Air Boss Johnson: That's a negative ghostrider, the pattern is full.
Goose: No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.
Maverick: Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz a Split.
Split: Split now give you .... Aaaarrriiiigh.

gecos
x3tc

Re: Weapon Accuracy

Post by gecos » Tue, 20. Mar 12, 14:56

solus88 wrote:hey guys do i just completely suck or am i missing something. im useing some Energy bolt chain guns and i cant hit anything until im like at 1.5k or just blasting. tried to use some good old fashion PAC and they hit at 1.6-1.8k if im lucky and m5s....dont even start. any tips would be appreciated.

flying a split chimera
Switch to a Mamba and use PBGs (as many as you want) and enjoy your "I win" trigger mouse button. You won't even have to aim very good with PBGs, it's that easy.

Zaranthan

Post by Zaranthan » Tue, 20. Mar 12, 15:22

Kirlack wrote:Mouse control: yep, using the mouse for steering. Auto aim won't help you here.

Bore-sight fire: using the ctrl key to fire. Only applicable whilst not using mouse steering. Auto aim use here can be a huge help.
Don't confuse Mouse FLIGHT with Cursor FIRE. Boresight Fire works just fine in Mouse Flight mode, Auto-Aim and all (it's my preferred method of dogfighting). You still have that reticule in the center of the screen to aim with.
Auto aim: Off - does nothing, the targeting computer won't correct for your aim at all. Semi...you know what I'm still not sure after 8 years what it's supposed to do. Full (or On) corrects your aim to hit the target as long as you are reasonably close to hitting the target anyway. You'll have to experiment a bit to get used to it, but it definitely works.
This is on the money. To lay it out differently:

- Auto-Aim: NO: No software required, shots go where you point the guns, zeroed to maximum range. This is where things like the Chimera's "X-Wing layout" can cause problems, as none of the guns fire true to the crosshair unless the target is near maximum range.

- Auto-Aim: SEMI: Requires Fight Command Software Mk I. This adds a marker that leads your target for you, accounting for both your speed and direction and your target's speed and direction. Note that it won't predict where a turning target will end up unless they stop turning. It won't adjust your shots at all, but it might zero them in properly (i.e. the shots will meet at your target, rather than at maximum range).

- Auto-Aim: ON: Requires Fight Command Software Mk I. As well as painting the marker, if your boresight is close enough to the marker, it will adjust the guns' angle slightly to hit the target nearly every time. Long-ranged and slow-moving projectiles can still miss maneuverable targets, but getting closer or waiting for a good moment to fire makes a difference.[/b]

After some consideration, I went ahead and took a screenshot:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/6/crosshairsv.png/

Things of note:
1. Click on the image to see it full-size.
2. The yellow box marks the mouse cursor. As I'm in Mouse Flight mode, the ship will turn to follow it. If I use Cursor Fire, the shots will go here. Auto-Aim won't work.
3. The red box marks the Auto-Aim marker. This is where I need to shoot to hit my target. Notice it is behind my target, as I'm currently swinging my ship around and my shots will keep my momentum.
4. The green box marks the Boresight Fire reticule. If this is close enough to the Auto-Aim marker, my guns will adjust to hit the target, and yes, it will work just fine in Mouse Flight.
Last edited by Zaranthan on Tue, 20. Mar 12, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.

Lord0bsidian
x3ap

Post by Lord0bsidian » Tue, 20. Mar 12, 15:26

or you could just left click to steer while holding down boresight fire

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 20. Mar 12, 15:36

@ Zaranthan: You are almost entirely correct there. In X3TC and X3AP if you have no Fight Command softwares you will still have the choice of no or semi auto-aim (consider the space suit for example). If you have either Mk1 or Mk2 FC software then you will have the full auto-aim option as well. The different softwares open up different turret command options.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Zaranthan

Post by Zaranthan » Tue, 20. Mar 12, 15:38

Alan Phipps wrote:@ Zaranthan: You are almost entirely correct there. In X3TC and X3AP if you have no Fight Command softwares you will still have the choice of no or semi auto-aim (consider the space suit for example). If you have either Mk1 or Mk2 FC software then you will have the full auto-aim option as well. The different softwares open up different turret command options.
Quite correct, my mistake.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”