[AP] Missile complex

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Umbru
x4

[AP] Missile complex

Post by Umbru » Tue, 20. Mar 12, 02:56

Working through the Hub mission and need more Tomahawks than exist in my game at the moment so I am thinking I will build a self sufficient missile complex in Distant clouds. Not sure what other missile fabs I should put in though. Plan is for the complex to keep being useful after the mission so I looking to have a good supply when I start using more M8 and M7Ms.

Any suggestions?

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Tue, 20. Mar 12, 03:21

- Hurricane and Wasp to get rid of smaller ships. Arguably less useful with Khaak gone, but still. Hurricane is a very fast missile to chase fastest M5s, Wasp being swarm is good for spam to overwhelm enemy missile defence before you shoot heavier stuff at him, and of course helps with M5s and M4s too. You will need more Wasps than Hurricanes obviously, but don't build too many factories of either, they spam more than you can possibly fire even from a large fleet.

- Silkworms and Thunderbolts for bigger game. Silkworm kinda sucks, but I put it on AI fighters so they can just spam them at will when out of laser energy. Thunderbolt is your go-to missile when you want to fire across a sector at enemy fighters, good to have even on big ships.

- Tornado. If you ever want to sink an M2 in a fighter, that's your missile. Dumbfire, swarm, a LOT of newbies overlook this brilliant weapon due to this fact. You will not believe how brilliant it is, until you actually get to shoot one at a big target from nearby when dumbfire doesn't really make a difference. I think that's my personal favourite among all missiles in the game.

- Typhoon and Hornet. Heavy hitters to arm your M6 and M7 with. Both very good all-rounders for bigger ship combat, you never regret loading one of those onto your ship.

- Flails and Hammers for M7M missile frigates and Tomahawks for M8s bombers. Must-haves if you ever want to barrage or cap. You typically want 2:1 ratio in flail/hammer.

- Mosquito for anti-torpedo defence and Firestorm for torpedo attack. One fab of Mosquitos will last you a gameplay, Firestorms since they are elite an expensive require a bit more of fabs, good money on them anyway.

- EBC and GC ammo fabs (and possibly MD if you have a fab slot open on an Argon food loop). Good to toss them in here, just let them fill with produce and stop working until you need to replenish ammo. Allows you to migrate to better ammo-based weapons.

- Terran missiles if you have money and rep for it, Poltergeist for fighter combat (it's really good), Phantom (for M8 Claymore, Terran Tomahawk basically), Wraith (for medium ships, one scary missile this is), and finally Shadow (Terran Hammer) for Skirnir to wipe out entire species off the map with just one command (unmatched power).

Oh and if you produce more than you can fire... just ship them to Terracorp. They buy everything.
Where is it?

Umbru
x4

Post by Umbru » Tue, 20. Mar 12, 03:39

I have this feeling that you build some scary complex's

Was thinking something along these lines to start
http://www.altanetworks.com/x3/x3tcocc. ... ,Boron,S,2

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Tue, 20. Mar 12, 03:47

Looks good. But really, you need Wasps and then other missiles more than Tomahawks at this point of your game. Not sure about Flails/Hammers, if you have Marines training, probably you need those more than anything else.

Also, Argons have cheapest Flail/Hammer/Tomahawk factories of all races. And you can cut a lot of cost by removing the Solar Plant and instead housing your STs/UTs in this complex so they pay for your ecells imports from nearby AI stations. Not everything has to be self-sufficient.
Where is it?

TiGGs
x3tc

Post by TiGGs » Tue, 20. Mar 12, 04:12

Instead of Thunderbolts, I'd go for Tempest missiles. Slightly weaker but it will seek a new target upon destruction of the old one.

Umbru
x4

Post by Umbru » Tue, 20. Mar 12, 15:53

I need the thunderbolts to finish the mission, although I think I will make it open loop for now that little corner of the galaxy is over saturated with ecells and I need to set some LT and UTs to get my universe's economy going.

martimus
x4

Post by martimus » Tue, 20. Mar 12, 16:14

I use only Hornets, Hammers, Flails, and Firestorms (and Wraiths, but I have to get those from drops.)

Each has very specific uses, but I mostly just fly a Cobra and I.

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Tue, 20. Mar 12, 16:19

if you want to build missiles than (IMHO) you should build thunderbolts, tornadoes, phantoms/tomahawks (depending on which bombers you will use Terran or CW) and also flails and hammer heavy torpedoes - all of these can be used

personally and also for your fleets later on (50 fighters firing tornadoes can shred anything 100-200? you can imagine :D :D)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”