Where can I find tractor beams? I screwed up my stations

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

zanex09
x3tc

Where can I find tractor beams? I screwed up my stations

Post by zanex09 » Tue, 27. Mar 12, 01:44

I finally saved up 40mil so I could start building. I bought me an argon mammoth along with an ore mine m, crystal fab m, and an spp m. I placed the ore mine on a yield 25 roid then was going to place my spp beside it, I don't know what I did but it ended up 13km away. I decided to leave it there and put the crystal fab beside the spp and join them then ship the e-cells with a cag. I had set the crystal fab 2km west of the spp but after building I found it on the other side of the ore mine so it's now 15 km away from the spp :facepalm.

I figure the best thing to do since I have little money left is find a tractor beam and tow it where I want them. Only problem is I can't find a listing for tractor beams in my encylopedia. I know I saw a tractor beam station somewhere in my travels so I don't know why it's not listed unless it got blew up.

Where can I find a tractor beam? And also how long does it usually take for npcs to notice your stations? All my stations have money just no resources.

Allan F
x3ap

Post by Allan F » Tue, 27. Mar 12, 03:26

Third Redemption - there's 2 stations making them. Also you can buy your own factory at the shipyard.
Maverick: Requesting permission for flyby.
Air Boss Johnson: That's a negative ghostrider, the pattern is full.
Goose: No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.
Maverick: Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz a Split.
Split: Split now give you .... Aaaarrriiiigh.

Joe McCracken
x3tc

Post by Joe McCracken » Tue, 27. Mar 12, 04:10

Always save before you place your stations. I've learned that the hard way myself. More than once, I might add :roll: . Salvage Insurance is priceless when it comes to saving time.
I'd like to shoot you in the butt with a EBC gun, hide in the asteroids and laugh at what I done, put a blood blister upon each bun, I'd like to shoot you in the butt with a EBC gun.
Some people are like slinkies, not worth a whole lot, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Tue, 27. Mar 12, 04:55

A few tips for building complexes:

Number Pad 5 will center a new station on an old one.

Ejecting an Advanced Nav Sat will help. Press 'k' when you're building for a wire frame view of your stations.

If the station icon is jumping around, it's too close to another station. Don't place it until you get the icon to stop jumping.

Do NOT leave the sector until the entire complex is completed. That's probably why the Crystal Fab moved.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

ach0533
x4

Post by ach0533 » Tue, 27. Mar 12, 16:59

How do you suggest the line-up to be for a complex? I've tried a 5-station complex (FAR from any sort of traffic) in Argon One and some Argon ships bumped into 3 of the 5 stations that created the complex, and next thing I know the Argon Military blows up 2 stations and heavily damaged a 3rd..

I can't seem to find a good way to build a mega-complex without AI flying into it :lol:

And yes, I do use the INSERT key to level everything. I've tried a "reverse-pyramid" line-up, making 5 stations next to each other, link them with a complex, then linking complex with complex until I had 1 complex on the lowest Y axis.

martimus
x4

Post by martimus » Tue, 27. Mar 12, 17:35

ach0533 wrote:How do you suggest the line-up to be for a complex? I've tried a 5-station complex (FAR from any sort of traffic) in Argon One and some Argon ships bumped into 3 of the 5 stations that created the complex, and next thing I know the Argon Military blows up 2 stations and heavily damaged a 3rd..

I can't seem to find a good way to build a mega-complex without AI flying into it :lol:

And yes, I do use the INSERT key to level everything. I've tried a "reverse-pyramid" line-up, making 5 stations next to each other, link them with a complex, then linking complex with complex until I had 1 complex on the lowest Y axis.
I had good luck by placing the stations centered within each grid at the first zoom level on the map. Other than SPPs, they will all end up seperate, yet close enough to connect to each new other. For SPPs, put them on a different Z plane since they are really wide but not very tall.

AshToDust
x3tc

Post by AshToDust » Tue, 27. Mar 12, 17:47

Limit your complex to twins and use a nice fleet of cags... it brings life to sector and your game does look like the AI's one ^^

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Tue, 27. Mar 12, 18:01

I use the advanced satellite method to build my complexes. With a bit of practice doing so I can put stations so close together now you wouldn't be able to fit a Kestrel between the two closest points :D

I typically build the SPP directly above or below one of the mines. Then place the bio and food fabs above/below the SPP and the crystal fabs above them. The complex hub is usually a few km off the middle layer of the complex.

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Tue, 27. Mar 12, 18:54

I just drag a couple mines so they are fairly close together, and then let Hephaistos do the rest.
Where is it?

zanex09
x3tc

Post by zanex09 » Thu, 29. Mar 12, 05:22

When building a complex do all stations have to meet the hub or can you connect stations to other stations? I ask because when i started my 1mj shield complex i started with an ore mine and an spp, i then set the hub above and to the side a bit from the ore mine and when it build the connections it went from the hub to the mine then to the spp. Then i added in all the other stations and when i connected them it went from the new station straight to the hub, now im afraid to add more stations to it if i decide i need them for fear of blocking the docking lanes.

Joe McCracken
x3tc

Post by Joe McCracken » Thu, 29. Mar 12, 07:23

In my experience it will go to the nearest station. If you build farther away from the hub it will start to connect to the closest station and the hub should stay in the same place.
I'd like to shoot you in the butt with a EBC gun, hide in the asteroids and laugh at what I done, put a blood blister upon each bun, I'd like to shoot you in the butt with a EBC gun.
Some people are like slinkies, not worth a whole lot, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Allan F
x3ap

Post by Allan F » Thu, 29. Mar 12, 07:46

zanex09 wrote:When building a complex do all stations have to meet the hub or can you connect stations to other stations? I ask because when i started my 1mj shield complex i started with an ore mine and an spp, i then set the hub above and to the side a bit from the ore mine and when it build the connections it went from the hub to the mine then to the spp. Then i added in all the other stations and when i connected them it went from the new station straight to the hub, now im afraid to add more stations to it if i decide i need them for fear of blocking the docking lanes.
Max distance from the hub is 20 km. If your stations are farther away, you need to connect the stations farthest from the hub to each other, creating a new hub. Place this hub as close to the original hub as possibe. If it's within the 20 km radius, you can connect the two hubs. Just select the hub you wish to keep first.
Maverick: Requesting permission for flyby.
Air Boss Johnson: That's a negative ghostrider, the pattern is full.
Goose: No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.
Maverick: Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz a Split.
Split: Split now give you .... Aaaarrriiiigh.

zanex09
x3tc

Post by zanex09 » Thu, 29. Mar 12, 07:47

Thank you sir, i will give that a try and see what procures.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”